Dallas to run Iditarod 2021

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Dallas to run Iditarod 2021

Postby libby the lab » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:10 am

SEAVEY IDITAROD NEWS! Dallas will run the Iditarod in 2021!
Mitch will sit it out.

In unprecedented cooperation between the two Seavey Kennels,
The best sled dogs have been transferred to Dallas in the most high-powered sled dog deal of all time. Ever. Pretty much. We think so, anyway.

AND, Since the finish of Iditarod 2020 Mitch has been selling many great sled dogs to other mushers, leading to speculation and rumors.

MITCH IS NOT GETTING OUT OF SLED DOGS.
MITCH IS NOT RETIRING FROM MUSHING.
MITCH’S KENNEL CONTINUES TO OFFER TOURS AND EXPEDITIONS.
MITCH IS STILL MAINTAINING THE BREEDING DOGS AND TOUR DOGS.
MITCH WILL STILL SUPPORT A PUP-TEAM IN THE 2021 IDITAROD.
Comments from Mitch:
My son Dallas and I have been friendly-enemies in the sport of competitive mushing for a decade-and-a-half. We have maintained separate competitive kennels and raced against each other, hard-core. (It should be noted that the record for the most Iditarod wins stands at five, held by Rick Swenson. It can be argued -- and believe me, it has been argued-- that Dallas and I have both prevented each other from attaining five wins. I have won three and been second to Dallas twice. He has won four and been second to me once.)

WE NOW WORK TOGETHER.
We have always openly shared information on dog care and feeding. We have shared genetics and dog breeding. But when it comes to training tricks or racing techniques, while I of course have always told the whole truth, it is suspected that Dallas might have held back a few racing secrets from me. His mother has spoken with Dallas about this and encouraged him to be more forthcoming, on pain of not receiving a Danish Puff, the desert he loves, on his birthday. The result has been a remarkable uptick in the sharing of key information between the two kennels.

Sometime this past winter Dallas let me know he planned to run the Iditarod again in 2021, and before the start of this year’s race we hatched a plan. Even though he is only a kid in his 30’s and I, a wise sage at 60, in my view, Dallas has developed sufficient skill to successfully drive the best dogs from both kennels in 2021 and beyond.

But, as you see in the photo, I’m still working out details of this arrangement with my lead dog Bug.

From Mitch Seavey's FaceBook page!!!
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Re: Dallas to run Iditarod 2021

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:44 am

i think this is great, he will be the one to beat for sure.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Return to Mushing Talk