How Are You Doing?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

How Are You Doing?

Postby fladogfan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:41 am

Thinking about all of you and wondering how you are coping with this virus in your life? I hope and pray none of our members or their loved ones have been hit by covid-19, so many have. It is such a terrible illness. We read that even some people who survive the virus are then hit by other painful afflictions. The vaccine can not come too soon!

So far DH and I are doing OK. Being careful about going out and always wearing a mask, not for myself but for others. Lots of hand washing ;)
I am getting bored because I can't go to my volunteer job or meet with my church members. But we are in the 21st century and have learned to ZOOM :lol: Mostly it works but sometimes it doesn't. We are getting better at it tho. Re-reading my Dragon Riders Of Pern books :D

Be smart, stay safe and keep in touch is possible.

fdf
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Re: How Are You Doing?

Postby fladogfan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:06 am

Just thought I'd add that the Cornell hawks are about to fledge. It seems they got so big too quickly this year. Big beautiful healthy hawks!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/cams/red-tailed-hawks/
fladogfan

Postby txbennett » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks for asking fdf. So far so good. Like you staying home mostly and protecting up when I go out. I fall within the very high risk group of people regarding Covid-19 so I do not anticipate many (if any) extended outings for many months. I bought Kristen Knight Pace's book This Much Country a while ago and am now finally reading it. She is a really good writer/author as well as a kennel owner and Iditarod and Yukon Quest Musher. Many of our Facebook "friends" have recommended her book and you can now add me to the list. It is an interesting read on a subject our Iditabuds will all relate to.

This Much Country Paperback – March 10, 2020
by Kristin Knight Pace (Author)
4.7 out of 5 stars 76 ratings
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:21 am

I've read a couple books that had been gathering dust in my house too txbennett.
"Uncle Tom's Cabin" Harriet Beecher Stowe, the author, was a brave woman to write what she did back in those days.
"Fire and Bronze" by a friend of ours, Robert Raymond. He did a lot of research for this novel about the woman who founded Carthage.

Edited to correct the title name. Should know better than to rely on just my memory :roll:
fladogfan

Postby fladogfan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:19 pm

fladogfan

Postby sc-race-fan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:31 am

Thought I'd stop by and see what's up. Better half and I are going out only as needed. We are all well and would like to stay that way! Missing my volunteer times too with no work at soup kitchen and Habitat, but wife has had a long list of honey do's so she has kept me busy. Seems like a trip to the home improvement store is an every other day occurrence to get materials and I wish more folks would wear masks!

We participated in two weeks of home schooling for the triplet grandkids here at the house, (in addition to Stephen who lives two doors down and comes during the day) and I am again reminded why I never wanted to be a teacher, It was difficult for them and us (math is not the same!) and who knows what the fall school year will bring! After having them all for a week in a couple of weeks, we will be doing the take two and leave one at home method for 3 weeks again this summer so each of the triplets can have some "one with parents time" and and we can assist in keeping the "child care" costs down! As they will soon turning 13 they would like me not to call it "childcare", guess I could call it "youth monitoring" costs!
Stay safe, and patch design time will be here before you know it.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:13 pm

Hard to think we are now in 2021 and uk is still in lockdown
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby flowerpower » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:43 pm

I was thinking about that today. Someone said "Covid 19" and I thought, dang, here it is 2021 and over half a million deaths in the USA alone. :( :( We have been very fortunate. My daughter contracted COVID AFTER her 1st shot, as did her roommate, who has not been vaccinated. Luckily, it was very mild and short lived for them both. I have had friends who have lost loved ones, though. Didn't Hugh N mention last year that his SIL died from it? Hubby is getting his second vaccine today, and hopefully I will get mine next week. Can't say I have been overly impressed with Texas' rollout of the vaccine, it has seemed very disorganized in an "every man for himself" sort of way. As you probably know if you follow the news at all, Texas got their very own taste of some Iditarod weather. Six straight days of below freezing temps have convinced me I DO NOT want to move north!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mira » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:04 am

You know... it's much easier with cold temperatures in places where stuff is organised for it... It's quite obvious if you look at how we build houses in Norway , isolated for keeping the warmth inside of the house or in like Italy or Spain, the houses are build for keeping the warmth outside of the house :lol: There were some interesting pictures in the news here how people tried to stay warm in Texas.. Didn't look like safe at all.

It's also fascinating how you get used to it.. nothing it's so cold as the first days in the autumn/early winter with temperatures around freezing. Later in the winter, several degrees lower feels much warmer (of course humidity also plays a big role).

I think everyone thinks the vaccination is going to slow. Here it is very well organised, however people argue anyway. As always. If I'm lucky I will get it before summer, but I think it's more likely it will be August/September or something.
mira

Postby flowerpower » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:27 am

Yes, I noticed that after a few days of single digit temps (we hovered around 6-9 degrees F, or -14 C) that when it got up into the 20's F (-6C) it actually didn't feel quite so bad! :shock:
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Next

Return to Mushing Talk