2021 Iditarod Race

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: 2021 Iditarod Race

Postby Fool » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:34 pm

Iditarod Download, Day 3

It’s just a race, but it’s incredible to me how connected you become to these mushers and their teams as they travel through wilderness that most people will never see. The highs are exhilarating. The lows...crushing. Today was one of those days.

This was supposed to be Aliy Zirkle’s farewell tour. Early this morning it came to an abrupt end, as she had to airlifted from the checkpoint of Rohn after suffering from a concussion and (probably) broken ribs from a hard crash on her sled. Not a lot is known yet about what exactly happened, but most likely the accident took place through a tough section of the trail called the Dalzell Gorge, that is known for its rough terrain that always has mushers on edge. She managed to make it into the checkpoint of Rohn with her dog team, and is now resting safely with her family after an overnight visit to the hospital in Anchorage. You can bet the hearts of the entire state of Alaska are with her right now.

Aliy has experienced many ups and downs over the course of her career, including fearing being swept off the sea ice in a ferocious wind storm in the 2014 race and having her team intentionally hit by a snowmachine in the 2016 Iditarod, a race where she was looking like a favorite to win and ended up placing third. You can be sure she’ll tackle this final blow with the grace and positivity that has marked the rest of her career.

A heartfelt message from the Seavey clan about Aliy’s accident:
“So sad to hear the news about Aliy this morning. She was injured going down the infamous Dalzell Gorge. She's in stable condition, dogs all ok, but medivac took her to Anchorage, and her race is over. Our thoughts and prayers go out to her and her team. Aliy is one of our favorite mushers of all time, (and easily the coolest) and we'll miss seeing her this week.”

And an awesome memory of Aliy on the trail in the 2017 from Zachariah Hughes, a journalist based in Anchorage, who is covering the Iditarod this year for the Alaska Dispatch News:

What's one of your favorite Iditarod memories from previous races?

Zachariah: In 2017, the Iditarod had to be moved to Fairbanks, and the route passed through Koyukuk, which it normally doesn’t. While I was there, waiting for mushers down at the checkpoint, I chatted with Benedict Jones, an elder who has lived in the region most of his life.

He told me about his family’s sled dogs back when he was a boy in the 30s and 40s, small teams that would haul dry fish back from camp after the summer, pulled sleds loaded down with beaver pelts and meat after trapping trips. He told me about how in the summer they’d run the dogs on gravel bars to toughen up their paws — all these old husbandry practices that, while a world apart from the long-distance competitive mushing on display in the Iditarod, spring from the same traditions.

A little later that same evening, Mr. Jones and his wife, I believe her name is Eliza, sat at a small table chatting with Aliy Zirkle. Just visiting, chit-chatting about people they knew in common and how the winter weather had been. Zirkle was kind enough to let me sit there, too, even though that was sort of a personable, intimate conversation — a reprieve from the race she could have reasonably asked me to exit from. But she didn’t, so I got to eat moose soup at the table with these two deeply knowledgeable elders while Zirkle asked them really smart questions about the region and dogs.

After a while, the Joneses had something else to attend to. And right after they left, Zirkle jotted down a few details on a pad or a scrap of paper. I asked her what she was writing, and she said it was a reminder to herself to send them a postcard once she was back home.

That’s one of my favorite memories from past races.

And still, the race goes on.

Current Top Ten:
  1. Dallas Seavey (McGrath, Mile 311)
  2. Pete Kaiser (Mile 306)
  3. Richie Diehl (Mile 306)
  4. Joar Leifseth Ulsom (Mile 306)
  5. Travis Beals (Mile 304)
  6. Brent Sass (Mile 302)
  7. Ryan Redington (Mile 299)
  8. Wade Marrs (Mile 297)
  9. Jessie Royer (Mile 289)
  10. Nicolas Petit (Mile 285)

Quote of the Day
“Since I don’t make a plan I’m not too upset about not being on the plan” - Nicolas Petit

“It’s like everyone is racing this like it’s a mid-distance 300 [mile] race. It’s kind of insane.” - Rick Castillo

“I get the feeling a lot of people really don’t want to go back through the burn!” - Iditarod Insider Cameraman Ian, having just snowmobiled the Farewell Burn from Rohn to Nikolai and talking to mushers along the way.

Post-Nikolai, the race has started to converge and the overall picture of the competition is becoming clearer. Once mushers have finished their mandatory 24-hour rest we’ll have a pretty good idea of who is sitting in the driver’s seat for this year’s race, but even now some top teams are emerging.

Dallas Seavey is first into McGrath. He’s run a smart, disciplined race so far, and will absolutely be helping set the pace as teams approach the half-way point in this race. No surprises there...but there’s still a lot of racing ahead.
What will be interesting to see with this blistering early pace is who doesn’t keep up. Expect to see some teams that were blazing in the early going here to start to struggle as the miles start to add up. Ryan Redington has been setting the early pace and recently completed his 8-hour mandatory rest in Nikolai. His team has been looking great so far, but he has a history of going out in a blaze of glory--and not in a good way.

Some teams that were lagging behind from the begin are now beginning to make their way to front of the pack, as both Joar Leifseth Ulsom and Jessie Royer are now firmly in the top ten after conservative early runs. And as expected, there are still many, many teams still in striking distance. This is going to be a fun one to watch unfold. Will the fast pace early on pay off for some of these teams? Which teams who played it safe early on are going to start putting on the heat?

This year, teams are required to take their 24-hour rest at any of the checkpoints up to and including Iditarod. (But they must take it on the way out, and not on the return leg of the race.) Additionally, all teams must take an additional 8-hour rest at any checkpoint from Rohn and back to Rohn. Expect most teams to take their 8-hour rest later on in the race, but a few teams may squeeze it in earlier.

The 24-hour rest is a key strategy decision in the race. Take it too early, and it won’t provide the benefit and the boost your team needs to make it through the end of the race. Take it too late and you might have pushed your team too far to recover.

At this point, mushers have basically three options for their 24-hour rest: McGrath, Ophir, and Iditarod. Expect a lot of teams to choose to stop at McGrath, but some may push to Ophir and beyond before they stop.

After fast and furious conditions to start the race (teams are flying!), things slowed down a little bit today as mushers faced warmer conditions and some snow coming into Nikolai. Nothing too crazy, however, and overall speeds look to be staying pretty fast as teams make their way from Nikolai to McGrath.

Word on the trail was that the Dalzell Gorge was pretty gnarly this year, with several mushers expressing trepidation about the return trip, as it sounds like there’s some treacherous stretches of dirt and bare ground that teams will be traveling downhill for on that way back.

Odds and ends:

One thing’s for sure: it’s never a boring day on the Iditarod trail.
Fool

Postby Mushkraut » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:52 pm

Looking at https://tracker2021.qrillpaws.net/iditarod.html which also gives me the total run/rest times, Brent Sass has been running for 2 days and 5 hours and rested for 37 minutes. Which means he and his team haven't slept at all. I get it, this is how you try to win. I also know that there are mandatory rest times, yet I wonder whether there should be a rule that you cannot run a certain amount of hours without proper rest. Everyone tries to sleep as less as possible but why allow people to go 2 days without?
Mushkraut

Postby mira » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:05 am

37 minutes are resting on the cp. Sass is typical a musher who prefers resting on trail, which is allowed. I don't think it is possible to run for that long without any rest. He has three four hours rest along trail.

The rules regulate what should be done one the checkpoint with vet checks and checking and the mandatory rests.
mira

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:40 am

Yes, I saw on GPS Brent camping outside of Rohn (I think) yesterday. I watched as Dallas and others passed him.
Also got to see him in checkpoint grabbing straw and maybe his supplies then he was off.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:36 am

So much to catch up on this morning! Before doing so, I just want to say that if you haven't seen the "Run Dog Run" video posted by the ITC this morning, please go watch it right now. It's spectacularly beautiful. (Viewing may be limited to subscribers--I'm not sure.)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Fool » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:16 pm

Iditarod Download, Day 4:
Ah Wednesdays. When Iditarod nation collectively catches up on everything they’ve neglected because they’ve been following the Iditarod, as the race breathes a collective sigh of relief because most mushers are hunkered down on their mandatory 24-hour rest. (Okay, let’s be real -- everyone is still glued to the tracker anyways.)

Dallas Seavey was first in McGrath and is taking his 24-hour mandatory there, joined by most of the rest of the frontrunners, including Joar Leifseth Ulsom, Travis Beals, Pete Kaiser, and Richie Diehl.

Some few souls continued on to the peace and quiet of Ophir, including Ryan Redington and Aaron Brmeister (who both have already done their 8-hour mandatory rest in Nikolai). And some crazy folks are shooting all the way to Iditarod for their 24-hour break. (Including Brent Sass--more on that later.)

So who is in the lead? It’s the age old question in the Iditarod, and one that is hard to answer definitively until everyone has put in their required rests and the start time differential is squared away. Once teams pass Rohn, whoever is leading the race is, well, leading the race. But in the meanwhile…

Right now there are probably 8 mushers that I would consider being a part of the “lead” pack in this year’s race. Here is when the teams in McGrath are going to be able to leave tonight:
    -Dallas Seavey 16:50
    -Joar Leifseth Ulsom 17:56
    -Travis Beals 18:29
    -Pete Kaiser 18:59
    -Richie Diehl 18:59
And for the other three teams who are in contention with that lead group, here is when they left McGrath. (Adjusted to add on their start time differential to give a better comparison with the above group.)
    -Brent Sass: 19:34 (taking 24 in Iditarod)
    -Ryan Redington: 22:00 (taking 24 in Ophir, already took 8)
    -Aaron Burmeister: 23:16 (taking 24 in Ophir, already took 8)
Some final things to keep in mind: all the mushers currently in McGrath are going to have to stop to rest somewhere in the area of Ophir (a 5-ish hour run) and then again in the area of Iditarod (a tough, long run from Ophir that takes a good 8-10 hours to complete, not counting rests along the way). That means all the mushers in McGrath are likely to have to take an extra 3-4 hours of rest relative to the mushers who are already past McGrath. Secondly, Ryan Redington and Aaron Burmeister have already completed their 8-hour mandatory rest. That means that those two specifically will gain an additional 3-4 hours on the rest of the mushers when they have complete that same mandatory rest.

So from one perspective, Ryan and Aaron are in the “lead” right now. They’ll be 5-6 hours behind the leaders when they get done with their 24-hour mandatory, but they could make up that time down the trail when other teams have to stop and rest. All told, it’s going to be a really close group between Dallas, Joar, Travis, Pete, Richie, Ryan, and Aaron--for now. They’re 300 miles into an over 800 mile race. This thing is barely getting started.

I don’t know if going all the way to Iditaord was the right move for Brent Sass + the couple others who followed him. His speed going over there looked slow in the early going. If the trail sets up at all as the weather gets colder over these next couple of times, this move could have cost him some time.

Some of the teams at the front right now have gambled that they can set a faster pace/get by with shorter rest than in a typical Iditarod because of the shorter course and have used that to make their way to the front. Other teams are sticking to a more traditional race schedule on the assumption that things won’t be all that different from a normal year. Time will tell which strategy will be the winning one.

Big news on the trail today: The course length has been shortened again, with the planned loop around the historical site of Flat now being eliminated from the race. Teams will now just run to Iditarod and back, eliminating the planned 20-mile turnaround loop. There’s apparently a four foot trench of snow on the way to Iditarod, and the trail breakers were barely able to make it to the Iditarod checkpoint in front of the teams -- they didn’t think they would be able to clear the rest of the trail in time. From Race Director Mark Nordman: “The Iditarod trailbreaker crew has had a challenging time breaking the trail open due to the sheer volume of accumulated snow, and has been unable to dig out a safe, well-marked trail to allow teams to travel to Flat.”

The fact that the trail to Iditarod is not really set up yet and sounds like it’s going to be slower going than the early stages of this race could be a factor going forward. It sounds like most teams are expecting a tough run over there, with soft and possibly deep snow to deal with. Depending on how quickly the trail sets up as additional teams and snowmobiles make the trip to Iditarod could be a definite factor benefitting some teams and hindering others. Sometimes an initial set trail after the trailbreakers go through will have a crust-like top layer that the first few teams through benefit from--before it devolves into soft “sugar snow” that makes for slow travel. Run times to Iditarod are going to be very interesting to keep an eye on.

The current weather report calls for dropping temperatures over the next couple of days, before things will warm up again this weekend. These changing weather cycles definitely impact race strategy. When it’s warm out, even if it’s nice for the human mushers, it can be brutal on a dog time to try to get them to race during the heat of the day, so run/rest timing becomes even more critical, and the 8-hour mandatory rest could become a great weapon in resting your team to get back on a favorable run schedule.

Where is Nic Petit? From Danny Seavey:
“I also want to send a shout out to Nic Petit. He saw something he didn't like in his team yesterday. He'd been in first place, racing an hour ahead of Dallas. Rather than stay in the lead, he took a long break in Nikolai, and is now taking 24 in McGrath. The extra rest cost him the lead, and likely a chance at winning, but was the best call for his dogs. Hopefully he caught it before he did any damage, and will have a great race from here. I know this will sound like a backhanded compliment, but this is the nuance that's been missing from Nic's racing in the past, and is a great sign for his future. Mitch made a nearly identical move last year, and it set up his awesome run up the coast and 2nd place finish.

Brenda Mackey scratches. I haven’t seen a reason given as to why, but she was down to 9 dogs when she scratched, so could have been worried about having enough dogs to make it to the end of the race. (Or perhaps there was a bug going through her team that was causing issues.)

Martin Buser has backed off from the front. From his kennel’s facebook page: “Martin is perplexed about the team's performance over night so he's giving them a long break and evaluating the team. He looked pretty well rested and seemed in pretty good spirits himself- for the oldest guy in the race. From other musher comments - EVERYONE seems to be dreading the trip back over the range. Martin had those concerns as soon as the route was announced, maybe because he's done it so many times he realized where the problems would be early on. Could be a bit of a survival game on the way back. Lots of miles to GO.”

Quote of the Day:
“That Mr. Seavey, he’s in a hurry to get somewhere.” -Wade Marrs

“I was trying to turn back the clock. The clock of ages.” -Martin Buser

“I saw her headlamp just eerily sitting on the river, turned on. And I was like, “I wonder what happened there. Then I proceeded to fall in the exact same spot. Without concussing myself. Although it might sound like I’m talking like I’m concussed.” -A slightly loopy Sean Underwood (running off of five hours of sleep three days into the race) talking about finding out what happened to Aliy Zirkle

“She was legitimately hurt. I really give her credit for being focused on her dogs. And what a great outdoors-person she is, because with her injury she still mushed into Rohn five miles. Most people would have just laid out there and pushed a help button. But she didn’t push a button, she safely got her dogs in...Aliy was stoic but hurt...All I can say is I’m proud of how she got the dogs in there--most people couldn’t have.” -Iditarod Insider reporter, Bruce Lee

Odds and Ends:
  1. An awesome, in-depth look at Dallas Seavey at a checkpoint: https://www.adn.com/.../as-the-leader-o ... ack-in.../
  2. A very fun twitter account to follow if you want hourly updates on all things Iditarod: https://twitter.com/tonichelleak

Tomorrow is when the real fun begins!
Fool

Postby flowerpower » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:08 pm

Great summary! Thanks so much. I was wondering about Sass, noticed his speed had dropped off and was wondering if he was breaking trail through new snow. Be interesting to see how his strategy plays out.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:44 pm

That twitter account is quick and fun to read. :D
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:25 am

Wow. I hadn't realized that Aliy made it all the way to the checkpoint--five miles!--with her team despite significant injuries. That woman is amazing. So wishing her well.

Thanks to the Iditabuds posting updates throughout the forum. They, and you, are much appreciated.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby flowerpower » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:54 am

Well, as I watched Rick Casillo in the red lantern position look like he was struggling to make it into NIK, I was sure he was going to scratch. Today he has cruised through Takotna and is in 29th. :P :P Shows how much I don't know! Whatever issue he was having seems to have resolved. Anyone have any word on Martin and if his team has perked up?
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk