Forum Questions Answered

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Forum Questions Answered

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:15 am

SiberianRose wrote:2) How do I create an Avatar?

:) Ok Patricia, being somewhat of a novice myself I will attempt to help you here! Don't be afraid to ask for more help if you get stuck and one of the real "promods" will help you! :)

At the top left of your screen is a User Control Panel
-Click on the User Control Panel
-Click on the Profile Tab
-Scroll down the menu on the left side of the screen
-Click on the Edit Avatar Button
-This screen gives you 3 ways to upload a pic to use as your avatar
-Make sure your avatar picture fits the width & height dimensions listed.
-Upload your picture
-Click submit

I had trouble resizing my picture so don't be afraid to ask for more help if you need it.
GOOD LUCK! :)
Di*

Postby sugarriver » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:19 pm

Can you explain the little symbols on top of the thread symbols: i.e. the heart, the star, the exclamation mark, etc? I understand the padlock, but the rest are confusing. Maybe they are natural forum symbols known to others, but this is my first forum and chat experience. Also, what makes the lines move in the thread circle; it seems to move as my pointer crosses it, but sometimes that's not the case. Why are some circles blue and some are red? Forum primer 101, if you please. :?: :?: Thanks. :? :?
How do you tell the difference between a plumber and a chemist? Ask them to pronounce unionized. -
sugarriver

Postby Heidi » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:57 pm

sugarriver wrote:Can you explain the little symbols on top of the thread symbols: i.e. the heart, the star, the exclamation mark, etc?

When you start a thread, you'll see a choice of icons you can use that will display on the left side of your title. They're really not that important and some have more than one meaning, but they can be fun to use.

Some meanings:

flames = hot topic
movie reel = if you have a video in your post
heart = heartwarming
question mark = original poster has a question
"!" = important
"i" = informative post

Also, what makes the lines move in the thread circle; it seems to move as my pointer crosses it, but sometimes that's not the case. Why are some circles blue and some are red?

--Red icons are unread items
--Blue icons are read
--A tiny star on any icon means you have posted in that particular thread
--Scrolling (moving) icons mean they're "hot", meaning a certain number of people have clicked on that thread (I have no idea how many have to click on a thread to make the icon scroll.)

If you are unsure of the meaning of any icon, just put your pointer over it and you should be able to see the name for it which should be enough to confirm what its purpose is. If that doesn't work, right-click on the graphic and select "Save background as" and you can get the name of the icon that way too.

I hope this helps! :D
Heidi

Postby aren » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:00 am

I mentioned it at the party yesterday, but guess so many things happened at the same time that no one actually noticed. ;) ;)

I just briefly tried to create an avatar during the Irod. (didn't use much time though as the race itself was more important ;) ) I did not succeed and have no idea what went wrong.

I found a usable :roll: photo on my puter, then reduced the size to less than 20 kb. Then I tried to submit.....dang nothing. Can anybody explain (in details ;) :) ) what went wrong and what I have to do to create my very own avatar :D :D
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby mira » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:07 am

aren wrote:I found a usable :roll: photo on my puter, then reduced the size to less than 20 kb. Then I tried to submit.....dang nothing. Can anybody explain (in details ;) :) ) what went wrong and what I have to do to create my very own avatar :D :D

I just tried, and it worked for me ;)

Make sure that the image is maximum 90x90 pixels and the size is under what-ever-that-limit was. If you can't get it to work, try to write the dimension on upload or, if you have the opportunity use the URL-option (instead of uploading the image). If you use the URL-option I would presume that you could more easily test different dimensions, sizes and so on.

Good luck :D
mira

Postby dilli » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:09 am

Hi again Aren .. wow .. I have a hangover from last night's chat party .. that aquavit is sneaky stuff .. never again. :mrgreen:

I hope these step by step avatar insertion instructions work for you. 8-)

1. Click on your user control panel

2. Click on the Profile tab.

3. On the left side, see the Edit Profile list .. click on edit avatar

4. Prepare to copy and paste the URL location of the image you want to use for your avatar. Your selected image should have a .jpg file extension at the end of it.

5. See the Link off-site box .. paste your URL into it.

6. In the 2 Avatar dimension boxes (with px to the right of them) type 90 into both boxes.

7. Click submit.
We've got treats
dilli

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:38 pm

aren....send me your photo if you need it resized

tsfr
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby aren » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:19 am

Thanks alot for the help :D :D :D
I played around a bit trying to upload an avatar direct from my own puter, but had no luck with that.
I resized the pic, stored it as .jpg, selected it an pressed submit.....nothing! Just can't figure out what I do wrong.

Finally I decided to upload a pic to photobucket and try from there. Then .... no problem at all ....... avatar in place. In other words that is the way to do it, at least for me, but would be fun to learn how to upload direct from my own puter.

The avatar now shows a smiling Sigrid and team under the Burled Arch. Nice ...... ;) ;)
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby aren » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:49 am

Question mod's, can you help.
Sometimes when I try to send PM's the message just "stays put" in the outbox.
I write the msg, add subject and push the submit button. Message go to outbox, but stays there. I just wonder why. What do I do wrong?(It's possible ofcourse that the system scan my msg's and decides that they are too stupid to be sendt :oops: )
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Di* » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:31 pm

Hi Aren :) ,
The message stays put in your outbox until the person you sent it to opens it.
~Di
Di*

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk