Sun Dogs

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Sun Dogs

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Hey anybody seen the movie Sun Dogs?

It is a documentary about the Jamaican sled dog team! It is not "disneyfied" at all(well except for these little cartoons like ads that pop up now and then, not really sure why they had those in there?!) .

The movie tells an inspiring & heartwarming story of how/why the Jamaican sled dog team got started and learned about their sport. They even send one of their up & coming mushers to MN(Yea!!) to run on snow. Also to Ireland and the UK (I think) lots of footage of cart racing and I thought I saw Tangles somewhere on one of those races! ;) :lol: :lol:

Anyhow, if you are ever in need of a good movie, I'd give this one four paws up & a tail wag 8-)
Di*

Re: Sun Dogs

Postby Heidi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:17 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but thanks for the recommendation and review. :D Isn't that a fairly new release?
Heidi

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:27 pm

It say 2007 on it, not sure when in 2007 but not too old!

Speaking of movies ;) has anyone seen Into the Wild? I'm curious how good it is, read the book and want to see the movie! It is on my list at Netflix! In Jeff King's new book he has a picture of "the bus"(won't say more to wreck it for those who haven't seen movie or read book)guess he has even stayed there before when out on a run :shock:
Di*

Postby Heidi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:35 pm

Di* wrote:Speaking of movies ;) has anyone seen Into the Wild?

I haven't read the book, but I'd like to see the movie. A local paper gave it a great review and said it was overlooked at the Oscars.
Heidi

Postby Moose » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:09 am

Somewhere--can't find it now--there's a report of Hans Gatt working with a Jamaican dog sled team to get them to the Iditarod next year. Did anyone else see it, or am I crazy?
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Di* » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:48 am

I didn't see that anywhere Moose but entirely possible. In the movie he was observing the Yukon Quest and hopes to run it in '09!
Di*

Postby Moose » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:07 am

Now that you've mentioned it, Di, perhaps the Quest is the goal for this team. That makes sense where Hans is a three-time winner.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby doornum3 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:25 pm

Jimmy Buffett is a sponsor of the team... so now all us Parrotheads have a connection to mushing!

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=829726
Joanne
*mush!* ~\__ ~M'> --- ~M'> --- ~M'> --- ~M'>
doornum3

Skype ID: doornum3

Postby Breeze » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:38 pm

M'i a Roha, tak al dag.

Breeze
Breeze

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:07 pm

doornum3 wrote:Jimmy Buffett is a sponsor of the team... so now all us Parrotheads have a connection to mushing!

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=829726

Hey! Another Parrot Head! What state are you located in? :D :D And thanks for the link.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Next

Return to Mushing Talk