Trail snippets and articles - 2021

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Trail snippets and articles - 2021

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:54 am

...I don't have any, but here's a place to put them when people find them. :)
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Re: Trail snippets and articles - 2021

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:24 pm

This just a feel good, make you smile story about 2 dogs.

https://iditarod.com/eye-on-the-trail-d ... ie-cletus/
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:19 pm

All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Eggs » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:14 pm

Dog Works Radio
Iditarod 2021 Daily Coverage | Day 2
Join hosts Robert Forto and Alex Stein for DAY 2 of their daily coverage of the 2021 Iditarod.
https://dogworksradio.com/category/dog-works-radio/
or
https://www.facebook.com/pg/dogworksradio/posts/
Eggs

Postby flowerpower » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:22 pm

Follow Paige's Play by Play: https://www.facebook.com/QuanticSchool/
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:01 pm

Iditarod Update:
Sean is minutes away from the Rohn checkpoint, and after conversing with his brother, Brendan, this morning we believe he is going to push through the checkpoint and try and cut down the next leg to Nikolai. We will find out shortly if he proves us right!

The steps and gorge are some of the more difficult and technical aspects of the race and they are now behind him... that is until they turn around and have to do them again! I got word from Sean last night that he’s all good, but the run from Rainy Pass was slow, hot, and challenging. I can’t imagine. I’m sure he is going to run as much as the team can while it is dark and cool. That’s a normal occurrence during the race, mushers time their runs and rests with the sun.

I want to bring some attention to the sled Sean is using this race. It was a VERY last minute addition. The night before the start Sean and another musher had an unfortunate head on pass where the latter’s snow hook popped off and caught Sean’s sled! It pulled the runner into a 20 degree bend. To say Sean was overwhelmed was an understatement. Luckily his good friend Tom Knolmayer, without hesitation, offered to lend Sean his sled. A coworker picked it up in Wasilla and Sean got to work packing it up just hours before the race started. This community is so full of incredible people, but today our spotlight is on Tom! THANK YOU, we are so grateful for your kindness!❤️ -Kailyn
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Eggs » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:55 am

Zachariah Hughes reporting for NPR. Twitter snippets (with photos):
https://twitter.com/ZachHughesNews

Iditapod: March 10: S5E2: Slip slidin' away 38:39 min.
"We rejoin the Iditarod something like 48 hours in, and, on what sounds like a hard and fast trail, mushers are pacing themselves for the shorter 850-mile race. There've been a total of three scratches so far, none bigger than Aliy Zirkle, who suffered a concussion and upper body injury in the Dalzell Gorge and had to be flown out of Rohn by helicopter. Also, we catch up with our pal Zachariah Hughes in McGrath."
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/588056033/iditapod

Alaska News Source coverage:
https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/sports/iditarod/
Eggs

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:30 pm

Liz raynes has just done an interview on insider with sean underwood, hilarious, he is having a blast, but not sure how they will do the gorge in reverse due to some very narrow bridges over the creek.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby flowerpower » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:24 pm

Yes, I saw that. He's parked between Dallas, Joar and Jessie and said he has no idea how he wound up there!!! :lol: :lol: He's running Dallas' B team. He said there almost as good as Dallas' team-ones who didn't make the cut for 1 reason or another, but he's the weakest link. He said Dallas has an amazing ability to understand his dogs, while he (Sean)tends to ere on the side of caution. Plus, he says, sometimes he just doesn't want to get up after only 30 minutes sleep-he says it's for the dogs, but really...... :lol: :lol:
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Fool » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:01 pm

flowerpower wrote:Yes, I saw that. He's parked between Dallas, Joar and Jessie and said he has no idea how he wound up there!!! :lol: :lol: He's running Dallas' B team. He said there almost as good as Dallas' team-ones who didn't make the cut for 1 reason or another, but he's the weakest link. He said Dallas has an amazing ability to understand his dogs, while he (Sean)tends to ere on the side of caution. Plus, he says, sometimes he just doesn't want to get up after only 30 minutes sleep-he says it's for the dogs, but really...... :lol: :lol:

517yam.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fool

Next

Return to Mushing Talk