Scratches

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Scratches

Postby private stock » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:03 pm

Dennis Kananowicz

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 14, 2021
Veteran Iditarod musher Dennis Kananowicz scratches at McGrath (S) checkpoint
Anchorage, Alaska – Veteran Iditarod musher Dennis Kananowicz (bib #8) of Tolsona, Alaska,
scratched at 4:19 a.m. today at the McGrath (S) checkpoint.
Kananowicz made the decision to scratch in the best interest of his race team.
Kananowicz had 11 dogs in harness at the time he made the decision to scratch.
private stock

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:38 pm

:*(

That doesn't surprise me - he seemed to be on the fence way back in McG the first time he went through and they were interviewing him. He seemed v. worried about doing the return trail (although so far, they seem to be reporting that the Burn is in good shape after the snow).
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby flowerpower » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:24 am

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mira » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:44 am

10 out of 46, that is 20%.

One of them were covid, one were a bad accident, one were illness on musher. Wonder if many hasn't been able to train the teams as usual because of you-know-what?

We have seen it in other sports, sky high numbers of serious injuries on ACLs for instance in European handball and soccer.
mira

Postby Gatekeeper » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:02 pm

mira wrote:10 out of 46, that is 20%.

One of them were covid, one were a bad accident, one were illness on musher. Wonder if many hasn't been able to train the teams as usual because of you-know-what?

We have seen it in other sports, sky high numbers of serious injuries on ACLs for instance in European handball and soccer.

Possible, but far less likely than other professional sports. It's a socially distanced activity done by people who like social distance. ;)

Edit: I was a little flippant, so thought I'd add an explanation. Mushers have not been out less, we're out on the trails as much as ever. It's just that it's not been possible to hold events. Race organizers and venues are not willing to take on the responsibility of being "super spreader events". We are out with our dogs.

I think it's likely that the lack of events has caused the sick dogs. Normally, teams would be mixing during race season, and they are exposed to the doggie viruses early and often, so get to herd immunity earlier in the season. Add to that the Iditarod is an out and back, with the dogs running over the same trail twice, and the lead teams never really are exposed to viruses that are there.

GK
Gatekeeper

Postby mira » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:56 pm

Thanks, I know mushing is very covud-friendly, I was thinking about the lack of race situation for dogs and musher. I noticed Dallas compared the whole race with training.

Didn't think about the out and back, that makes sense.

In these contact sports it is likely the lack of competition like practices that partly is to blame.
mira

Postby Gatekeeper » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:48 am

From Brenda Mackey regarding her scratch and more: https://mackeysdistancedogs.com/news/id ... -dog-team/

GK
Gatekeeper

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:47 am

What an ordeal Brenda and her team went thru.
Thanks for the post Gate.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk