Rohn to Nikolai to McGrath

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Rohn to Nikolai to McGrath

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:54 pm

Jessie Royer:

It went good. There's a lot of bare dirt. It's going to be interesting going back. I think there's going to be a few pretty interesting spots to go back on. But we made it here, and I'm always happy to be here. [Q: Are you happy with your position?] I'm further back than I'd like to be. I got here [Nik] about the same time as last year - and last year I was 2nd, this year I'm 16th - so obviously it's a lot lot faster. But I'm not too worried. There's a lot of race left. [Q: Why is that?] The trail's hard - it's been a really good trail. I'm actually trying to be a bit more conservative, giving these guys extra rest to build them up and keep their speed up - and I know there's a bunch of teams I'll catch on the second half. That's bound to happen, so I'm not too concerned. I'm pretty happy with these guys - they're doing good, they're eating - maybe not as good as I'd like to see, but hopefully that'll turn around. They're perform good, travelling good and I still have all 14. Could be better, could be a whole lot worse, so can't complain.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:58 pm

Thank you elsietee for all sharing of the snippits (sp) of info.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:04 pm

Brent going through Nik - was rushing to get sorted, asking where the trail was, calling for a vet to sign his book. Said it had been warm and the snow had slowed things down - it had been such a fast trail. It'd be nice if it cooled down a bit - these guys are more used to colder temps. Left out of the checkpoint loping happily along.

He rested for 3h 45 mins about five miles past Nik.

There's currently only 3.5 hours between #2 and #17.
elsietee

Postby mira » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:27 pm

Dallas is almost into McGrath
mira

Postby Gatekeeper » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:50 pm

I'm following Dallas on the tracker. He seems to be a bit off the trail and slowing down... and retracing..
Edit: Looks like he's forging ahead. There's a group 8 miles behind, we'll see if they follow him, or stick to the GPS trail.

This is the extent of my cut and paste skills :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gatekeeper on Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gatekeeper

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:51 pm

Michelle in Nik:

I really like my group - they're really responsive, they listen really well, they're really tight knit. I'm pretty happy, they're doing great. ...The run to Rohn through the Gorge is always pretty exciting, that was fun and wild. And then from Rohn it was pretty rough for a while, and then we hit snow.. and then we had a whole sh*tload of snow... oops, we had a lot of snow... and then it was slow and sloggy. [Q: Are you here where you want to be?] I'm just trying to focus on my own little thing. It's pretty early and I just need to do what my team needs, instead of getting all caught up ...what is it? Mile 200... 263. I'm just going to watch my group and evaluate after the 24.

She's getting food ready for the dogs and keeps moving in and out of focus - finally Greg asks her "can you just stay still for a minute... I'm not a camera guy" and they laugh.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:57 pm

Gatekeeper wrote:I'm following Dallas on the tracker. He seems to be a bit off the trail and slowing down... and retracing..

This is the extent of my cut and paste skills :?

Hmm, I see what you mean. At first it looked like he was backtracking. But then it wouldn't behave when I tried to rerun it, so I refreshed the browser window and he didn't backtrack. I seem to remember that stretch of trail doing weird things in past years, so maybe they route it differently each year, but the blue line isn't accurate? have to see when Pete and Richie get there shortly.

Edited to add: Yup, everyone else took that route, so it appears the blue line needs tweaking to match the actual trail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by elsietee on Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:03 pm

Nic Petit camped out on the way to Nik:

Since I don't make a plan, I'm not too upset about not being on the plan. I got to give [dog's name - couldn't hear what] a big rest, he don't like the warm weather. I'll probably leave with him in the bag some more and see if that fixes him for the whole race or if he's going to go home.

They are then interrupted by Nic pointing out that the dogs are trying to eat a mouse - and sure enough, the camera swings around quickly enough to catch a little mouse running through the snow with dogs trying to get it. Dogs think it's super-cool.

Otherwise the dogs are doing really, really good. The two yearlings are doing fantastic - that's something to note.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:06 pm

Dallas going through Nik in a hurry too - he's just in a woolen sweater, his parka draped over the back of the sled. Does an elegant swoop to grab his vet book as he's scooping up his hook and sliding past the checker. Dogs look raring to go.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:55 pm

Bruce is in McGrath showing off the "Covid Dog Yard", separated from the community. It's a big flat area, surrounded by a berm of snow - replacement sleds and drop bags lined up - then very neat "dog parking" with lines delineating each team's space. He says there's a warehouse there that the mushers can use to sleep in if they want.

Bruce and Kevin Bodie are going to move on up to Ophir. He says it's a little warm to be running dogs - mid-20s (~-4°C) - but cooling off to 10°F/-12°C at night.

Dallas won a pair of beaver mitts and a fur hat for being the first-to-McGrath.

(There were a few mushers at Rainy Pass using pop-up tents to sleep in - just popped them up next to their teams.)
elsietee

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk