Stop press Aliy injured

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Stop press Aliy injured

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:30 am

There is a video on Insider with Bruce and Greg. I'll the flying fingers of elsietee write the whole of it. But they say after Aliy was hurt she mushed her team into Rohn 5 miles! She is so strong.

https://iditarod.com/race/?vid=422825
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:01 am

I just watched the video and almost wish I hadn't. It's obvious she's in significant pain and is dazed. A concussion is a very big deal and there may be lingering issues, though I sure hope not. It was hard to see such a strong and extremely capable woman made vulnerable by her injuries. Heartbreaking.

Heal well and be well, Aliy Zirkle. Beaming good vibes and positive healing energies your way.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby flowerpower » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:16 am

Poor Aliy. How in the world did she manage to mush the team in with a dislocated shoulder??? :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: That gal is tough. I saw on the SP Kennel site that they are back home in Two Rivers with follow up doctor appointments scheduled. Rest and heal, Aliy. Snuggle up with some pups.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby flowerpower » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:15 am

MARCH 11, 2021 BY SPK CREW
Aliy wanted to let you all know she’s doing alright. She saw a doctor on Wednesday for her shoulder injury and had multiple scans done. Luckily it does not require surgery. It may take some time to heal but she should recover pretty well in time.

She does have a sore head though. Head injuries like these do take time so she is taking things very slowly for the next few weeks. Of course that is frustrating but she’s taking time out to focus on getting well. She’s pleased to be home and is looking forward to having her team back at the kennel.

She appreciates all your messages, and the love and good vibes being sent her way.

The dogs are still in McGrath enjoying the hospitality of all the vets and volunteers at the checkpoint. We likely won’t see them until the end of the week but we’re confident they are being well cared for. Aliy had sent plenty of dog food and snacks to the checkpoint in drop bags. We’ll update you once they are on the ground.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:20 am

Thanks flower.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:45 pm

Positive news. Thanks for posting, FP.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Mushkraut » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:16 pm

Please all read her own update on her blog which retells the incident from her perspective:

https://spkennel.com/2021/03/message-from-aliy/
Mushkraut

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:56 am

Good to hear she is on the mend, i think she was the dog in the cabin.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:23 am

Thank you Mushkraut for posting this info. I agree with tangles, she was the dog in the room.
fladogfan

Postby flowerpower » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:23 am

:) :) Where is that heart emoji when I need it?? That must have been quite the whack on the noggin, and I'm glad to hear she is recovering.
flowerpower

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk