Rookies

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Rookies

Postby RAIMIS2 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:28 am

I usually try to read up on the rookies and make an informed choice for my top ten picks. (First I look if any are from Norway, LOL!) Didn't do much of that this year - I assumed Underwood was running King's dogs, not the Seavey 3rd team or whatever it is. Oh well. Anyone else?
RAIMIS2

Re: Rookies

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:44 pm

A norweigan rookie is normally a good bet lol
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby mira » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:51 pm

A Norwegian rookie traveling with his or her team at least.

I didn't do much research this year either, I usually try to figure out who of the rookies are competitive and avoid any driving any kennels puppy team for instance.

Didn't have time this year, and I thought Underwood at least is familiar with the trail.
mira

Postby flowerpower » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:34 pm

I thought that about Underwood, too. Almost went with the Mackey, just because.....well, she's a Mackey. But felt bad for Sean after last year. Many of my picks are more sentimental than practical. :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:39 pm

RAIMIS2 wrote:... I assumed Underwood was running King's dogs, not the Seavey 3rd team or whatever it is.

I got the feeling Sean Underwood was running his own team this year. Not 100% sure, but I found no mention of him running someone else's puppy team.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Eggs » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:54 pm

Sean is running a team of Dallas.

Last year, an Iditarod rookie made it about 96% of the way to Nome. It has haunted him ever since. (ADN)
When this year’s race starts Sunday at Deshka Landing, Underwood will again run a race champion’s dogs, but it won’t be the same one. Underwood left his job with King last summer when the pandemic halted his tourist-related work.

Dallas Seavey, who will return to Iditarod for the first time since 2017, offered Underwood a chance to train and run a team from his Talkeetna kennel. Unlike last year, Underwood has spent months getting ready.
<snip>
It’s hard to know how many chances he’ll have to complete the Iditarod since he doesn’t own a team. The musher lifestyle is hard to sustain, he thought of starting his own kennel seems like a remote possibility right now. But this year, he feels lucky for one more chance to complete unfin [sic] and drop the rookie designation from his name.

At Seavey’s kennel in Talkeetna last month, he took delivery of a borrowed sled. Then he hooked up a team for a short run on a cool, sunny day. thinking about how special it would be to finish the 2021 Iditarod, but he’s been looking forward to the race’s start for nearly a year.
https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/iditarod/2021/03/05/last-year-an-iditarod-rookie-made-it-about-96-of-the-way-to-nome-it-has-haunted-him-ever-since
Also see: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3671#p69145
Eggs

Postby JeanieB » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:47 am

Looks like 2 or the rookies have gotten off trail.....Jack's and McNeal.

Sorry, realize that's where the trail is marked incorrectly. They are where they need to be!
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Return to Mushing Talk