HOBO JIM (James Varsos) - Facebook post dated 9/18/21

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

HOBO JIM (James Varsos) - Facebook post dated 9/18/21

Postby Heidi » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:20 pm

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 9.49.12 PM.png

Fyi: Anyone on Facebook can reply to his post there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heidi

Re: HOBO JIM (James Varsos) - Facebook post dated 9/18/21

Postby fladogfan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:59 am

Thanks Heidi for posting this sad news here.
Love his attitude.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Breeze » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:50 pm

I've adopted the idea of the Rainbow Bridge. Our bodies may moulder here in either a casket or cremation urn, but our souls will find the place where we meet after death. If our Bridge Kids await us there, I'll be headed in the right direction, and there will be more adventures.

Call it what you will. I'm not asking anyone else to believe it, so please don't tell me I'm disrespecting any other faith, belief or myth.

I wish for Jim deep courage, the grace to look forward and not back, and the strength to keep sharing his deep love for the human journey.
Breeze

Postby Another UK Fan » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:58 pm

Thank you Breeze for your beautiful vision and for expressing your wish for Jim so well. I wish him the same. Thank you for the words.

Breeze wrote:
I wish for Jim deep courage, the grace to look forward and not back, and the strength to keep sharing his deep love for the human journey.
Another UK Fan

Postby libby the lab » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:50 pm

James Varsos
Otc5Stpobehr 1u0h 48tncgsaot98 11:3h21 uAdM6 ·
ALASKA
To me folks this a word that still lights up every circuit in my body. My mind rushes with images of snowy mountain tops, rugged blue, blue seas, vast unseen, untamed wilderness, images of bears and eagles, moose, and wolves, walrus and thundering herds of caribou. All of this my wondering eyes have seen, along with its more gentle beauties like the brilliant colored lupine and fields of fireweed or snowy arctic cotton.
It is the dress of the commercial fisherman in his Helly Hanson's brown rubber boots and knit hat.
The lumberjack in his Carhardt's with the red suspenders and flannel Pendelton shirt.
The colorful dance costumes of the Haida, Tlingkit, Inuit, Yupik, and Athabaskan. Those brave hunter/nomads who first tread this beauty.
Rivers abundant with rich red salmon, oceans of giant King crab and barndoor Halibut.
It is the free spirit of free people. (May you never lose that nor take it for granted).
It is the legends I have known as friends. Col. Norman Vaughn the great antarctic explorer and master of sled dogs. The joyful face of Susan Butcher. The unstoppable Joe Redington senior and, his longtime friend on the trail ***** Mackey father of a fine line of champion mushers including his son Lance Mackey, one of the toughest men I know.
I knew when I first looked out on the Kachemak bay from the crest that I found my home. The search was over and now I was proudly an Alaskan.
Alaska has been wonderful to me and I owe our state a great debt of gratitude. To all of you. To the land. I thank you all. There is so much more I would like to say but nothing I write would be big enough to encompass my feelings for our state.
You will just have to take the body of my life's work and maybe one of those songs will touch you in the way this land has touched me.
Though my body leaves this world I leave a piece of my spirit with Alaska as I take a piece of Alaska's spirit with me.
Thank you Alaska and may God Bless and keep you all!
Hobo Jim
Upon going through Jim's phone I came across this final message Jim wrote to all of you in his own beautiful words.
Thank you for loving him and embracing his music and love of Alaska. There is no one like a Hobo Jim fan. Here is to all of you.
May God Bless you all,
Cyndi
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Return to Mushing Talk