Veteran mushers withdraw

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Veteran mushers withdraw

Postby adella » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:19 am

Just saw a list of 2022 mushers. Seems 5 veterans have withdrawn. What happened to Jesse Royer?
Aim in life-to be the person my dogs think I am
adella

Re: Veteran mushers withdraw

Postby sc-race-fan » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:26 pm

Not sure about all of them, but race officials are requiring covid vaccination of all mushers, and some may feel not so inclined.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby txbennett » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:13 pm

Travel to Alaska from out of Alaska with a dog team and border crossings and shipping supplies and handlers etc. is difficult and expensive in the easiest year. This year will not be an easy year for anyone. I doubt that vaccinations was a deciding factor for any of them.
txbennett

Postby COHusky » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:07 am

I disagree tx, of the 5 whom have withdrawn only Jessie Royer is from out of Alaska and would encounter the travel issues you describe.
Not saying that vax is the issue either tho. There are also several Alaskan and Canadian teams making the travel and signed up for the Beargrease.
Regarding Jessie, she is signed up for the Idaho Sled Dog Challenge - https://idahosleddogchallenge.com.
That race, along with the Eagle Cap Extreme and Race to the Sky, is a part of the Rocky Mountain Triple Crown series. She doesn't show entered for the Eagle Cap and the Race to the Sky site, as usual, has very little info.
COHusky

Postby libby the lab » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:56 pm

Now there are 7 withdrawn including Thomas Waerner and Jason Campeau
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby RAIMIS2 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:14 am

Jessie is so good and consistent, I might just put her in my Top Ten anyway! :lol:
RAIMIS2

Postby Gatekeeper » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:48 pm

I don't know about Jesse, but Wade Marrs has been very open about not competing due to the vaccine mandate.
Gatekeeper

Return to Mushing Talk