Yukon Quest 2022

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Yukon Quest 2022

Postby elsietee » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:24 pm

Yukon Quest is happening now (of sorts). Because of Covid, no 1000 mile race, and because of HUGE storms they had to reroute the trail again in the last week or so.

Their FB page livestreamed the start (https://www.facebook.com/YukonQuest/vid ... 1540409428).

Tracker here for both races: https://yukonquest.com/race-central-das ... e-tracking

Several race options and today's races started from downtown Fairbanks:

YQ350: Fairbanks > Two River > 101 > Central > do a 70 mile loop up towards Birch creek
(apparently the trail to Circle is impassible), back to Central - and back to Fairbanks.
So Eagle Summit and Rosebud TWICE!

YQ200: I believe follows the same route, but their finish line will be in Central.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Re: Yukon Quest 2022

Postby fladogfan » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:46 pm

Thank you elsietee.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby brightspot » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:28 pm

I'm following the tracker. I can't find much chatter about the race on the interwebs. The 300 milers were covered really well. Drat, not the YQ. MushingTech is providing a little commentary. Right now it looks like some mushers had to turn around, probably weather.
brightspot

Postby flowerpower » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:59 am

I see mushing tech's helpful updates. I hate to admit, but I haven't followed the YQ much this year. Partly due to the change in format, and then the Olympics are taking a lot of my limited attention span! :?
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby COHusky » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:10 am

Not being a facebook person I find it very difficult to follow the races these days.
Most of the race web sites no longer post a daily leaderboard/standings. (Never could get the YQ site to load, probably an issue on my end??)
I did hear Sass won the Alaska 350 side of things. Not sure who won the 200?? And can find no info about the Yukon side of the race.
Trying to follow Race to the Sky, thank goodness for the trackers - Jessie Royer with a solid lead heading into the home stretch.
For all it's organizational/political fault's, the Iditarod does a very good job making info easily accessible on it's web site.
COHusky

Postby elsietee » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:06 pm

Dan Kaduce won the 200.

I think YQ were really scrambling to put on any race at all, so I'm not surprised the website wasn't updated. FB is easy to use and easy to update, so that's where most of the info went. I don't know your reasons for not being on FB, but it's worth it just to get race updates/photos/video, even if you never partake of anything else, and remain anonymous otherwise.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby mira » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:02 am

Actually, YQ have a great public facebook site, open for everyone. Open it in a incognito tab/mode if you wan't to stay away from cookies/tracking and so on.
mira

Return to Mushing Talk