Moose Attacks

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Moose Attacks

Postby elsietee » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:17 pm

Harrowing story from Bridgett Watkins (Allen Moore's/Aliy Zirkle's daughter/step-daughter) on a moose attack a few days ago:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/survival/alaskan-musher-dog-team-attacked-by-moose/

This came just a day or so after another video of a dog team being attacked in Norway on the trail - the footage really brought home just how dangerous moose can be.

Thinking good thoughts for Bridgett's team and her rookie Iditarod.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Re: Moose Attacks

Postby sc-race-fan » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:38 pm

Here latest post indicated she was still planning to run the Iditarod. I had her as one of my Idita-rider bids, but sadly did not win a ride.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:49 pm

Saw this in my news feed this morning. I could have sworn the a firearm was mandatory running equipment for the Iditarod, but I was incorrect.

How many mushers do you think DON'T carry? I might be inclined to pack more punch than a .380
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby Breeze » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:42 am

ThisSpaceForRent wrote:Saw this in my news feed this morning. I could have sworn the a firearm was mandatory running equipment for the Iditarod, but I was incorrect.

How many mushers do you think DON'T carry? I might be inclined to pack more punch than a .380

These are training runs, now--we aren't running the IDIT yet. But I do vigorously agree that moose can be he//a dangerous in high snow winters, and that more than a pea-shooter is necessary for firepower.

Race history reminds that several mushers have had tragic run-ins with moose on the Idit race trail. An Axe just doesn't work like a firearm.
Breeze

Return to Mushing Talk