Video Snippets

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Video Snippets

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:18 pm

Brilliant video of Jeff chatting about the team of Nics being a group, how one dog ran in his spot on the team unteathered to either neck or tug for 20 miles.

Jeff gets very emotional about previous races, salem his incredible leader and cj the kid who he carries his lucky coin.
I hope they make this for everyone to see as it’s a special video!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:25 pm

Agreed. One of the best.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:02 pm

Live interview with Jeff Deeter in Cripple:

Had some problems - dogs went off their food at the beginning of his race, then he broke his sled, then the charger for his headlight wasn't working, so he's decided to cut his losses and slow way down. He's been in Cripple for 12 hours and plans to stay until his wife, Kattijo shows up (maybe 30 hours), so they can travel together. He hopes she won't be too pissed at him. He's been carrying his Dad's ashes with him, and scattering them as he goes along, chatting with him. Not the race he planned, but getting to Nome is his main plan now.

Live interview with Riley:

Dogs have a bit of stomach bug, so hanging out for a while until they get over it. Greets his family and tells them all is well - just wants to give them a bit of time to recoup and recover. Not totally as planned, but as Jeff said, going to Nome is the #1 plan. Going to feed some salmon or white fish in a bit.

Live interview with Dan Carter - race judge:

Have 7-8 teams in the checkpoint, waiting on 14. Slowly starting to decommission the checkpoint. Last night was really busy. The weather has improved enough that planes can get in and out, and they'll be sending dropped dogs out.
elsietee

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:40 pm

From Facebook-
Jimbo has been found and is fine! Big thanks to KTUU,
all the media agencies that spread the word of him
getting loose, and all the concerned people that were
out searching. A resident in the Minnesota and 44 St.
area noticed him sleeping in their backyard.

Jimbo is Richie Diehls' pup that escaped during a vet check in Anchorage.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:44 pm

Just thinking about him and hoping he had been found, so thanks for the good news FP.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:07 pm

OK, this will be the last one until Sunday - I'm going to be out of cell range, so won't be able to check, let alone type.

Dallas on the river on the way to Galena:

This is the first time we're really, really on our schedule. We're 17-18 miles from Galena, which is fully intentional. Judging by the piles of straw I passed along the way, I assume Brent went to Galena for his 8, which makes sense, or maybe he just takes a short stop and moves on. Not that it really matters yet. We've got a few more runs before it really starts to matter. I've got a great plan for the rest of this race - it worked for me before. I like this part of the race.

The good news is, 20 miles outside of Cripple, one of my dogs lost a bootie, so I stopped the team and went up there to replace the bootie - and I had it in my hand and one of my dogs - Tamale (sp?) - who was one of the worst eaters and had been sick - thought it was a piece of food and jumped at it to try to eat it. 'You're that hungry, huh??' so I went and got snacks out of my sled and these guys have just been devouring food. This last run, I went through nearly 50 lbs of food between Cripple and Ruby, for 12 dogs. Every hour I'd stop and feed them and they'd eat until they were like little balloons and then an hour later they're ready for more. I'm going to get them filled up, then back off a little on the food, just to keep them with that appetite. But if we go into the coast with that appetite, I think we have a fighting chance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:39 pm

Quickie - interview with Brent on the Yukon after Galena. He said that he's running to plan, that the dogs had to work a little harder between Cripple and Ruby because of the snow, but he's not too concerned it took too much out of them. He said that he may break up his run to Kaltag with a shorter rest in the middle. But he knows that Dallas is 20 miles behind him ("Better than 20 miles in front, eh?" :laughs:).
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:55 pm

Ah well. My trip got cancelled when my truck and trailer got broadsided four miles into the journey by another truck in the dark last night - the other vehicle did not stop, leaving me by the side of the road with half the side of the trailer ripped off, two flat tyres, a horse, and two dogs. Some local friends came to my rescue to fetch my horse, and we managed to patch the trailer together enough to get me home, 2.5 hours later. CA Highway Patrol hit and run report filed, no damage to warm-blooded things, other than my throat, screaming angry abuse up the empty road that the other vehicle disappeared along.

But that does mean I can watch videos (silver lining, eh?).

Dallas going through Galena:
Grabbed food, said that he kept packing more and more food and they were eating it all.

Dallas going through Kaltag:
In a hurry. Asking for a vet to sign his book while he signed in. He grabbed some food and was gone. Bruce and Heister chatting in Kaltag just before Dallas arrived - very windy there. Bruce said Dallas would more than likely stop at Tripod Cabin a third of the way to UNK, leaving him just 70 or so miles of the 85 mile leg left to go.

Brent in Kaltag:
Says he's not concerned about his dogs in the wind - they train for that all the time at home. He just needs to keep his head and make good decisions. Said he'd likely go half-way to UNK and camp [Old Woman Cabin?]. Brent also said it's starting to feel cold and he likes that.

Most of his dogs were wearing neoprene(?) arm-jackets (arms for front legs, extend half way down their bodies) to protect against harness rubs.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:07 pm

Jessie Holmes in Galena (in 3rd):

Checker tells him "That's one of the fastest times ever, from Ruby to Galena."
Jessie: "Really?"

Later he says "I think I'm going to go a little bit slower. Nobody around me is doing that, so why should I? So save 'em. Brent's going 7 mph, all I've gotta do is 8.5 mph ...and I catch him by Shaktoolik maybe... I don't know, I don't even care what everyone else is doing..." and the local guy he's chatting to laughs and motions to the effect of "don't get ahead of yourself". And Jessie says "It's hard to not think like a racer, you know?"

He says that on a good trail he's been having to stand on the drag mat really hard, and his feet are pretty beat up from all the rough trail. You had to be on the drag brake the whole time for the whole first part of the race, so his heels are bruised, so he came fast into Galena because he didn't want to ride the drag so hard. Can't argue with the position he's in, more than he expected from the team, so he's really proud of them. Last year he didn't even have a dog team after his other team got older, so he's worked hard over the last couple of years to build this team out of what's not perfect - but getting to know each dog, and getting them to know each other, and getting them to work together as a team - versus last year when he came to the race with a mismatched outfit that didn't gel together, so he went back to the drawing board and came back with something that's looking good together. They're young and have a good future. It's more fun to be driving a dog team that you know you'll be driving for the next few years.
elsietee

Postby sarsmile » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:10 pm

Oh, no! Sorry to hear that, Elsie. I always enjoy your snippets, but I promise I wasn't sending any negative vibes your way in hopes of getting more of them! Very glad to hear everyone is okay.
sarsmile

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk