McGrath-Yukon-Kaltag

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: McGrath-Yukon-Kaltag

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:53 am

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:26 pm

I thought after their 24, the race order would become clearer, but if anything, it's even more muddied than it was, with all the leap-frogging going on.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:32 pm

I was wracking my poor brain trying to remember where Eric Rogers got pinned by that monster storm. Finally gave up and just messaged Eric. 8-) :D

On the Yukon River between Eagle Island and Kaltag in 2009 - had Tim Osmar, Rachael Scdoris, and a gentleman I cannot remember who scratched
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mira » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:33 pm

elsietee wrote:Gah, I'm never going to get any work done..

What do you mean, your work is excellent! :lol:
mira

Postby mira » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:36 pm

elsietee wrote:I thought after their 24, the race order would become clearer, but if anything, it's even more muddied than it was, with all the leap-frogging going on.

Yes, that is usually the case, but now? Naah. Brent must be in Galena by now or any minute now
mira

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:52 pm

Heister on the live cam - moving tentatively and stretching out his back. He has a video cam with a built in mic on a stick.

They were all waiting for Mitch on the road that everyone else came in on... but apparently Mitch took the other route, and they all rushed to the other side ... then he changed back to the route everyone else took, and they all rushed back to their original place (I'm sure Heister's back loved that).

Dogs are still pulling to continue up the hill. It looks like he has some kind of transparent plastic skirts on the backs of some of the dogs harnesses, that cover their rear ends - maybe to reduce rubbing?

Looks like Mitch is staying for a while as he headed to the dog yard area.

Lots of teams resting on the way to Ruby, so presumably will go straight through to Nulato, while others rested just past Cripple.

CP-KAL-03-11-22-1pm.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:13 pm

Richie, Jessie Holmes, and Ryan all declared their 8 in Ruby, and Mille just showed up and pulled over to give her team a break, joining Hugh, Jessie, Richie, Mitch, Mitch, and Ryan.
elsietee

Postby emwcee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:40 pm

elsietee wrote:I know! I'm on tenterhooks, hoping like mad that the next few runs go well for him.

It's funny, Brent will always be my favorite, but at the same time, it would be fun for Dallas to get "yet another win" and put him in the record books; for Aaron B to finally win after so many years; for Richie to come out from behind Pete K's shadow and do well; for Hugh to make a come back - and bring Jim Lanier's team - and his long-term breeding plan - into the limelight... so many good stories.

Watching a race just for the sake of 'who wins' isn't very interesting, but to know all the players and their backgrounds going back over 20 years, really makes this race special.

And don't forget the idea of Ryan winning in his grandpa's memory on the 50th anniversary of the race!
emwcee

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:15 pm

emwcee wrote:And don't forget the idea of Ryan winning in his grandpa's memory on the 50th anniversary of the race!

Ryan already acknowledged that he's too far back to win at this stage (although, of course anything can happen!)

Joshua McNeal just left Cripple, while Travis Beals and Michelle just showed up in Ruby

Unclear if Michelle is going through - they gave her her drop bag, which they haven't with other mushers, so that may mean she's going to grab a few things and keep going?

Brent went through Galena and is currently camped 5 miles past there for the afternoon. Which must mean he's planning to take his 8 hours in Kaltag - a nearly 80 mile-run from where he is now. Hoping he gets good trail and that it works out. Doing the maths quickly in my head, I think doing his runs this way should keep him out of the hot part of the day. :fingers crossed:

Dallas is currently 22 miles behind him, on his way to Galena. Will he stop in Galena, or mirror Brent and camp a few miles past there? He has not taken his 8 yet (and is the only one of the following teams to have gone through Ruby). He also said his dogs are now "eating like monsters", so he's def in the chase.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:18 pm

Keep an eye on Paige who camped closer to Ruby than the others? Maybe she'll be going straight through to Galena and leap-frog some teams?
elsietee

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk