Scratch- Withdrawn

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Scratch- Withdrawn

Postby JLJ » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:02 am

The talk about unexpected problems possibly being due to eating deficiency makes me think of a story many probably know but perhaps not everyone. Jeff King has talked and written about one of his important early screening criteria when selecting pups to be trained for long distance competition being that they will eat whatever is offered at any and all times and circumstances. Among other things his racing food provisions for his dogs involved custom 'sausages' that were made to his exact specs, that he could use to be sure his team had the nutrients and amount of food inside them that they needed for whatever terrain or distance or weather was coming up next, as long as he could be sure they would always promptly eat up whatever he offered.

But that characteristic did occasionally create problems. In one stage race he was doing a nighttime feeding of his team by the trailer, and as he completed the circle, he noticed one of the first dogs he'd fed was still eating. Checking that out, he realized that an emergency flare about the size of the 'sausages' had fallen out of the trailer and the dog, having finished the food he'd given it, was feasting on this windfall.

He checked to see the exact contents of the flares, frantically phoned poison control sources, was told what the dog must be given immediately, called area vets until he got a human, explained, put the dog into truck and took off, per instructions, to meet the vet.

But the two of them could *not* get the antidote down this world class athlete who didn't want a horrible substance put into it. Vet was very concerned as speed in getting antidote into dog was essential and it wasn't happening. Jeff asked the vet if there was a dog dish and some kibble available. Vet said yes but no dog would willingly ingest this repulsive antidote. Jeff pointed out that they were not getting anywhere with current tactics and that the reason they were there was that the dog had been voluntarily munching an emergency flare, which it thought Jeff had included with its dinner.

So they fixed the dog dish of kibble, antidote included, Jeff offered it to dog, and down it went. Problem solved. :) :) :)
JLJ

Postby Di* » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:19 am

Leaddog wrote:The fact that Nordman appeared to be waiting for him

Are you sure it wasn't Greg Heister instead of Nordman? I thought it kind of sounded like Greg's voice? But I did notice they didn't seem to have him sign the check in sheet and he asked "do I need to sign something?" or something that sounded like that.
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Postby Leaddog » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:41 am

Not sure at all - just going by reports from Flowerpower. Although pretty sure Heister wouldn't warrant a "sir" and Nordman would, particularly if you thought you might be in trouble.
Leaddog

Postby Di* » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:18 am

Leaddog wrote:Not sure at all - just going by reports from Flowerpower. Although pretty sure Heister wouldn't warrant a "sir" and Nordman would, particularly if you thought you might be in trouble.

Good point!
Di*

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:27 am

I'm pretty sure that's Heister saying "Hello Hugh Neff", not Nordman (esp. as Heister was at the arrival for all the early teams coming into Ruby).

What ever it was, the volunteer tells him "I have a message from..." <feed cuts> before he even signs in, so they evidently already had their eye on him leaving Cripple.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Di* » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:28 am

I'm going to go and rewatch that clip just to refresh my memory!
Di*

Postby tanglefoot » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:10 pm

Hmmm….
As a musher, his dogs look perky and happy, heads up, ears up, clipping along at a good pace.
Coats on, all bootie’s.

As a race marshal, i take the press release as the RM has a problem with something that means he does not wish to see the team or the musher proceed and has made the suggestion to the musher that ‘in the interest of his team (and the race) that he doesn’t proceed and should consider scratching or calling it a day’ in other words, here is the facts, i’ll give you the chance to do the right thing.

Of course, it could be something else entirely like a severely ill family member at home and mark gave a message personally with some bad news and hugh decided to stop racing and get home but doesn’t want to make the reason why public so the standard ‘interest of the welfare of the team’ is used with a nod to Mark for delivering it in the press release as a thank without giving too much away.

The dogs looked good, he was up in the race standings and
Traveling well. A poor condition team wont do that or look so perky and be so high placed. So unless other rule infringement, violation or issue, I wonder why he scratched. It was his first back after a ban. I am sure Jim wouldn’t have lent him a team if he thought Hugh wouldn’t look after them.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby mira » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:30 pm

mira

Postby mira » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:39 pm

I am a bit surprised they worded it like that, I guess he wanted to continue but the vets wouldn't. But by phrasing it like that, everyone will wonder what is going on. I guess it isn't that uncommon that the mushers are getting a bit of a help to decide what is the best decision.
mira

Postby flowerpower » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:38 pm

I wasn't sure on the video whose voice it was. Was speculating based on the "hello sir" and the fact they didn't have him sign in that it might have been Mark. Glad to have Tangles perspective that the dogs looked perky, I thought so to. So odd, guess we'll never know the whole story.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk