Tales of Old: The Story of the Iditarod Part 2

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Tales of Old: The Story of the Iditarod Part 2

Postby Frozen Chosen » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:48 am

Tales of Old: The Story of the Iditarod from the Eyes of an Inupiat

By Frozen Chosen (Phil Sualuaq Kugzruk)

Prologue Continued: In the Beginning

As I write this, Brent Sass is making his way west across the Bering Sea Coast, having left Elim this morning shortly before 0600. Weather forecast for the area in the next 24 hours looks great, with very little regional winds and temps hovering slightly below zero.

Weather here in the southern Seward Peninsula can be very unpredictable, with storms that suddenly appear “out of nowhere”. There are two infamous areas of the coast that have played a major role in interrupting and disrupting race plans and have contributed to a Front runner losing their spot to the next musher some miles behind them.

The most infamous spot is just north of Shaktoolik, where a shelter cabin was eventually built for the very purpose of ensuring that a competitor will have a place to escape from the cruel elements of nature. The North Land, in a way, can be seen as a massive subcontinental graveyard, where, over the decades, centuries, and yes, millennia, individuals and expeditions “out of the blue” faced the total and unforgiving onslaught of “mother nature”. And many of musher, local, and travelers along the northern Bering Sea coast can testify to this massive onslaught that can occur at a very “moment in time”, giving absolutely “no warning” whatsoever.

It could be like getting blindsided with an immediate hard-hitting blow by a Cassius Clay. Clay, who is known to today’s generation as Muhammed Ali, attacked and hit his opponents with sudden fury and “bam!”, his rival not seeing or aware that he is down on the mat! This is exactly how the Bering Sea Storm hits: with one massively hard-hitting blow that left powerful mushers and teams like King and Butcher reeling.

The best of them, who one would think was the premier expert and experienced of all mushers, was the Shishmaref Cannonball: Herbie Noyakpuk. Herbie, an Inupiat from the community of Shishmaref, halfway up the coast from Nome and Kotzebue, was a long-time race favorite and legend. Unfortunately, this once popular and well-known musher is slowly fading from history, much like other legends of old, including Larry “Cowboy” Smith, Fat Albert (the lead dog of another legend, Rod Perry), and yes, even the musher fans once loved to “hate”, a transplanted Minnesotan named Swenson…

The Shishmaref Cannonball, if he were still around today, would, without hesitation and the biggest smile north of Dixie, tell you of the time he was in the lead on this Last Great Race. And like many after him, faced the onslaught and punch of Ali in the form of this Bering Sea Storm so vicious, it took the “wind” out of this respected Inupiat. Herbie, in his honest, humble, and quiet hesitant way, simply admitted that this was the coldest night he ever spent in his entire life as an Inupiat who, in Shishmaref, faced the bitter, harrowing, and unforgiving Northwest Wind on the coast of the Chukchi Sea.

Anyway…well, here I am running up a “side trail” and finding myself lost in a myriad of ice-covered sloughs, rivers, and yes, lost in the daze of a complete Whiteout of Nothingness out on the Norton Bay ice between the Infamous Boulder sized mound (where the Shelter Cabin of All Shelter Cabins is just north of the checkpoint of Shaktoolik) and the checkpoint of Koyuk…
In a nutshell, these Tales of Old are a collection of stories of long ago, of ages past that are now covered in the dustbin, ashes, and snowmelt of “time”. You see, once upon a time, there was a place, a location, a spot somewhere smack in the middle of Nowhere…(we call this the Last Frontier, the Great Land…Alaska)…and someone from somewhere at sometime long long ago decided the call this Place on the Spot of Nowhere “Iditarod”.

This is its story…

…to be continued…

Frozen Chosen
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Re: Tales of Old: The Story of the Iditarod Part 2

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:33 am

:) love your stories buddy
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:24 pm

Wonderful to read those names again.
Another UK Fan

Postby dashdel » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:27 am

Not sure if anybody has seen this video but this is how it was when I was handling for Rick Swenson... https://youtu.be/ptsr1GROaVE
dashdel

Postby flowerpower » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:50 am

Very cool Dash, thanks. I didn't realize you handled for Swenson. You must have some good stories from that..... :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:17 pm

dashdel wrote:Not sure if anybody has seen this video but this is how it was when I was handling for Rick Swenson... https://youtu.be/ptsr1GROaVE

Thanks for the link I watched it! Fun to see how things are the same & changed. I'm sure you have some stories you could share from that time handling for Swenson? :)
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Postby dashdel » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:03 am

lol,,,, Yes i do...... ;)
dashdel

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:49 am

Watched it!!
Thanks dashdel, so many things I do not remember knowing before.

Didn't catch the name of the musher and dogs lost in the snow and found just in time 5 days later. The pups had eaten their harness (smart dogs) and the musher was in last stage of hypothermia.

Are you in the film? Where you able to fly to any of the check points? Did ITC have a banquet after the race? Most of the dogs looked very furry and strong legs, look bigger too. Maybe the heavier coats caused that. Did not see the dogs laying under 'blankies' either. Loved seeing and hear Susan. Swenson looks so young ;) but then so did I back then.

dashdeI I wish you would share more of your tales, I'm sure they are very interesting.

Thanks.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby dashdel » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:43 pm

Yes it was a real adventure.. As a handler I was pretty much taking care of the dogs in Eureka when Rick was racing... Kathy my sister was with him.. but I do have some great memories... Maybe one day someone will write a book about the early days... Frozen does a good job hopefully his book will bring some good tales to the race and Alaska living...
dashdel

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:17 pm

you and Froz should get together.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Return to Mushing Talk