White Mountain-Safety-Nome

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: White Mountain-Safety-Nome

Postby Eggs » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:27 pm

Check WM live feed if you can. Reporting now.
Eggs

Postby mira » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:29 pm

They have posted it as well. Gerhardt been brought by snowmobile back to WM, Bridget is with the two dog teams and SAR.
mira

Postby mira » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:31 pm

He still has the tracker, Gerhardt is going åt 245 mph, passed Safety
mira

Postby Eggs » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:38 pm

Another guy who had the snowmachine came on and talked about the whole episode. That part just got posted on the videos.
Here's what was said:
Hey Insiders, this is Christian once again.... here with Ed. Ed was basically out of Council today and got some type of communication to head out that way by the river and came across Gerhardt and Bridgett and ..... he's going to tell what he came across:

Ed: Yeah, so they were there kind of hunkered down in the snow, dogs covered in snow and at first I think they thought I was going to pass them, cause it was real icy right there. They waved me down and I pulled over and first got one dog out and then started game planning cause they were in ground storm - good visibility but just real bad ground storm and thought well - the best place is go a couple of miles back into the trees by Klokerblok (River).

So we took all the stuff out of Gerhardt's sled and put it into Bridgett's and then loaded 6 or 7 dogs into his sled. And then Bridgett rode the sled, hooked on to my rig and we went back to Klokerblok out of the wind; got them situated and then I took the sled empty back to Gerhardt. He was there, loaded up another 6 -7 dogs.

And then going back, Gerhardt fell off and we were going real slow but it was just so windy - fell off, broke his ankle is what he's thinking and so I left the dogs there, hopped him on the rig, brought him to Bridgett. Bridgett and I went back, grabbed the dogs because they were only half a mile away maybe - and got back to Gerhardt and he was saying he was hypothermic so we figured - I said "you know what - just hop on with me; I can just bring you to WM real quick" and uh, so I came here. Sounds like SAR, sounds like there's a bunch of people out there so I don't think they need my services any more.

Thanks were said by Christian, etc.

There's another update about Bridgett which I'll get to next.
Eggs

Postby Eggs » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:25 pm

Hey Insiders, this is Christian again. I'm just giving you a little update here at WM. Update on the situation that just happened 15 or so miles out of here.

From what I just saw, Bridgett Watkins is here. They just took her over to the clinic, not the checkpoint, to be evaluated. And from what I've heard there are SAR people still with her dogs out there but the VPSO here said that we should be seeing some more people come back here from that site shortly. So nothing really too major to report other than Bridgett is here at WM and we'll give you some updates when we've got them. Stay positive.

https://iditarod.com/video/insider-whit ... ns-update/
Eggs

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:41 pm

Bless her heart. She has had a rough time. She was the one whose team was attacked by a moose a couple of weeks before the race. But she's Alan Moore's daughter, so you know she's tough!
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Eggs » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:57 pm

Live from WM, Christian says Bridgett is flying out soon. Rough back end on this race. Stories will be told.
Eggs

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:17 pm

I'm watching the live feed from WM and that one dog that looks like he's dozing off but won't lie down is a hoot. I'm guessing those are Davis' dogs?
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:19 pm

drift Siberians Natalie Andre is with Andre van der Merwe and
2 others
um2t4S871t06ti3070hn1saole4du ·
UPDATE FROM NOME
3:25pm 03/18
We have some very sad news from the trail - after being caught in 45 mph ground wind storm (along with some other teams that were all travelling together), being pinned down and then crashing (this all happed 16 miles outside of White Mountain) - Gerhardt has a possible broken ankle and he has scratched from the 2022 Iditarod. The dogs are all absolutely OK! Gerhardt is on his way to Nome via medi-vac. The dog team will be flown to Nome ASAP.
Although heart-wrenching for everyone, especially Gerhardt and AJ, - Gerhardt still remains our hero!!!! Go Team Green & Gold!
Our hero travelled 914 miles down the historic Iditarod Trail - a mere 61 miles from the finish line. There will be stories from the trail - you can all be very sure of that!
Thank you to every single supporter of this amazing team - one badass South African musher and his amazing team of sled dogs!
We salute you our friend!
flowerpower

Postby Eggs » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:54 pm

Christian on live feed from WM just gave update. Video is already up. Said trail sweeps came by and picked up straw and supplies to take out to care for the 2 dog teams that are still 14 miles out on the trail with SAR. I presume they will be bringing them back to WM. Also, he said that Bridgett has a broken collar bone.
Eggs

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk