White Mountain-Safety-Nome

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: White Mountain-Safety-Nome

Postby ukmusher » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:50 pm

Michelle Phillips has just posted saying she was penalised in results after 4 mushers reported her for violation of rule 37. She says she would do it again, and will never run Iditarod again
Rigrunner Siberians
Making Zero Progress
ukmusher

Postby flowerpower » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:15 pm

Michelle Phillips:First let me say that Iditarod 2022 was a real adventure, harsh conditions and endless winds made it a memorable challenge. And I am so very proud of the amazing athletes I had the honor of running with.
This evening as fans are watching the awards ceremony they will learn that my final standing was adjusted. Four mushers made a complaint that I was in violation of rule # 37 and so this was my penalty.Although this is not great news I want folks to understand why, and to know that under the same circumstances I would make the same choice.
On the run between between Koyuk and Elim we were hit by extremely strong winds. Now I have run 21 thousand mile races and have seen a lot of weather. So it is with a great deal of experience I made the decision that these conditions were above and beyond what I was willing to ask my team to travel in. Fortunately when I checked my GPS to monitor our progress I realized we were close to a known shelter cabin. I crossed a drift and was at the cabin. At that point in time there was no hesitation in my mind, my dogs were my only concern. With no natural wind breaks or materials available to shelter them I made what I felt was the best choice for my dog’s welfare in that extreme situation. I unhooked my dogs and put them in the shelter where they could rest and recover safe from the hostile conditions outside. The wind continued to howl and shake the building all night. That confirmed my choice to bring my team in out of the storm. In spite of the consequences I would never hesitate again to do this action. Ed and I stand for dog care and that comes first at Tagish Lake Kennel, and it always will.
We are not letting this take away from our excitement about finishing another Iditarod. And we want to take a minute and say Thank you to all of our sponsors, friends, and family. And also extend our thanks to the many race vets and volunteers who make Iditarod possible. This will be my last Iditarod.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Breeze » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:59 pm

I totally understand Michelle's point. She's not out there running dogs she borrows or rents from the ITC. She's responsible in EVERY WAY for EVERY DOG connected to her gangline, and she knows SHE must be the alpha.

dOG only knows there are many " arena sports" where the advertisers own the finish, but we do not need that element trying to direct and own dogsled racing.

Personally, I'd like to see the ITC call themselves out and huddle with their stakeholders including fans, from the mush side. Whatever reason the ITC has to strangle this incredible competition needs a big push back.
Breeze

Postby libby the lab » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:04 pm

So does Riley get penalized too? He brought dogs inside shelter cabin
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby Leaddog » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:11 pm

So does Riley get penalized too? He brought dogs inside shelter cabin

He might and should if that is the ruling being applied to Michelle. The major difference is that being knocked down 4 spots will cost Michelle money (and make the 4 people immediately after her more money), whereas in Riley's case, it won't make a difference to his pocket: finishers after the 20th spot all make the same amount ($1049).
Leaddog

Postby libby the lab » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:16 pm

My response on FB:
Cindy Cowherd
Michelle look at all the support from your fellow mushers here. Rather than never running the Iditarod again please consider being the instigator of a rule change. Dog care first needs to be first and foremost or this will become more fuel for those trying to shut this sport down.
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby mira » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:28 pm

Wasn't Mille together with Michelle at that cabin? Or do I recall wrongly?

They should treat all similar, but I am not sure if I really understand the point of that rule. In usual conditions the dogs are fine outdoors, so you will only really need to take them in when necessary? Or am I wrong.

I was a bit surprised of the different no assistance rules, there were several of them and very explicit. I do understand why, but I wonder if it very easy.. I think there are quite some snowmachine traffic along the trails at least in some parts. So if a snowmachine happens to be in front of you what to do so it does not count like breaking trail? I understand you don't want the bigger teams for having assistance like breaking trail, however, in a storm situation, if snowmachines accompanies some to a nearby shelter.. It doesn't feel like assistance, it feels more like safety. But this are the problems with rules, if you make them clear and explicit you will find situations which feels a bit unfair, and if you make them less explicit you will have much more discussions of there the limits are. I guess.
mira

Postby JLJ » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:05 pm

One can sort of see why there would be a 'no dogs in the building unless seeing a vet' rule at checkpoints, where there is often a single building that must be used for many functions, some of which require sanitary standards, where there are likely to be some windbreak and other outdoor provisions to protect dogs AND where there are race authorities present who can say "this is an exception as it is a life threatening situation, everyone inside, dogs included!" But to have a rule like that apply to remote locations, especially without including a 'life threatening conditions' exception within the rule, seems inexcusable. I hope all the mushers will take a stand on this issue. And not only those who have teams they've raised from pups . . . a person who borrows or rents or leases someone else's dog(s) has a *greater* responsibility to be extra careful about its care and safety, not a lesser one. And the Iditarod organization has the greatest responsibility of all to maintain a 'dogs' welfare is priority' attitude and have it reflected in every rule. If not, it's difficult to see how any ethical musher, and there are many, will feel able to participate.
JLJ

Postby Breeze » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:25 pm

Yes, Mira. Those are the good and bad of " rules".

But we also remember that " animal wel****" groups will crucify mushers and race managers alike for policies that might contribute to dog de****s.

Iditarod has never come out strongly in favor of the mushers, or strongly against PETA. If bullies don't get faced down, they just take more and more power, and soon the bully has control. Sponsors walk away because the sponsored organization is seen as too weak to fight: the bullies get more power. ITC needs to catch up, fast, and penalizing experienced mushers for PROTECTING DOG WELFARE is not " catching up". WTF ??? Nordman or Urbach were deep asleep or drunk with this ruling. I'll never understand how men so educated and experienced can be so utterly clueless.

We'll all miss Michelle Phillips, and most of all, the sport will miss her quiet and unassuming mentorship of women.
Breeze

Postby flowerpower » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:59 pm

One might speculate that implication was that she was trying to cheat. Four mushers reported that she sheltered the dogs, implying that Michelle had not done so. But there could certainly be reasons she hadn't gotten around to it. :?
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk