Banquet

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Banquet

Postby Alphashe » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:22 am

flowerpower wrote:Vi sees nedover stien! Hope that's close for "see you down the trail"!

Hehe - sort of. Or; vi ses på løypa!
Alphashe

Re: Banquet

Postby flowerpower » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:31 pm

:D :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Re: Banquet - Craig adds the juicy bits

Postby Mushkraut » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:13 am

https://craigmedred.news/2022/03/28/iditahell/

There are some bits in there about the Porsild/Ulsom drama that I hadn't been aware of, especially the role that Porsild played during the 2018 race,and Ulsom allegedly using a snowmobile crew to worsen the trail for the mushers behind him? That's despicable if true.

As for CM's idea of Porsild's dogs just getting slower and slower: He doesn't even mention her sled problems. According to her own FB account "Both of Mille’s sled runners broke when she was just a few miles out of Kaltag, and while she was able to wrangle the broken sled by holding one side together with a foot and the other side with a hand, it made the run to Unalakleet more challenging for both musher and dogs alike." Then Mitch Seavey lent her his spare sled in UNK, but at the finish in Nome Porsild joked that Mitch "secretly tried to kill her". I think Mitch's sled is of course tailored to his height and proportions and that it may be uncomfortable to use over hundreds of miles for someone else. I think this should be taken into account!
Mushkraut

Re: Banquet - Craig adds the juicy bits

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:07 am

Mushkraut wrote:https://craigmedred.news/2022/03/28/iditahell/

There are some bits in there about the Porsild/Ulsom drama that I hadn't been aware of, especially the role that Porsild played during the 2018 race,and Ulsom allegedly using a snowmobile crew to worsen the trail for the mushers behind him? That's despicable if true.
I agree mush.

As for CM's idea of Porsild's dogs just getting slower and slower: He doesn't even mention her sled problems. According to her own FB account "Both of Mille’s sled runners broke when she was just a few miles out of Kaltag, and while she was able to wrangle the broken sled by holding one side together with a foot and the other side with a hand, it made the run to Unalakleet more challenging for both musher and dogs alike."
This is the likely reason that she got slower, why doesn't CM mention this?

Then Mitch Seavey lent her his spare sled in UNK, but at the finish in Nome Porsild joked that Mitch "secretly tried to kill her". I think Mitch's sled is of course tailored to his height and proportions and that it may be uncomfortable to use over hundreds of miles for someone else. I think this should be taken into account!

Mille looks like a tall woman, so using a sled more than likely custom made for Mitch, would have been harder than using her own sled. It was nice of Mitch to offer his sled to Mille, but that is what the mushers do for each other, if they can.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk