PINK PEAKS Race Report

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: PINK PEAKS Race Report

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:46 am

here you go folks... more to follow when we get ems camera done but heres a few photos of what every respectable musher will be wearing on next years 24 rest hahaha

matt pink peaks.jpg

ems on the trail

ems pink peaks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:49 am

most of the lads mushing were going for best lady musher award hahahaha...
we have some of team tiara coming up when we can get them put onto disk and uploaded!!!
tanglefoot

Postby Di* » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:45 am

OH MY!!!!!!! :shock: :lol: :? :lol: :D :lol:

You actually look quite fetching in that getup Tangles!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D Hilarious..Love that shade of blonde on you!! :lol:

You make Martin's Hawaiian getup look tame! Were the dogs confused?

GO EMS GO!!! You look pretty determined in that pic!! Now where is your tutu?! :lol:
Di*

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:18 pm

good job you cant see the pink corset under the race bib haha :oops: :oops: :oops: and the pick fairy wings hee hee :oops: :oops: it was great fun and we raised loads of money for breast cancer research which was the main reason for mushing!
tanglefoot

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:20 pm

john how can i put video up not on you tube/google just from a disc here? its quite big file size tho.. is it possible?
tanglefoot

Postby aren » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:03 pm

Tangles, :lol: :lol: you look so pretty in the picture :lol: :lol: :lol: pink is definitely your color :lol: :lol: :lol:
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby mrwolfesmum » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:44 pm

This will be a bit of an essay but I hope you stick with me.... ;)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
I did it guys, my first ever race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D And not only that but we worked out that it was Lolly's first ever race without Kirra in the team ( Kirra being Matty's main lead dog) So I'm just soooooooooooooooooooooooo proud of her as my little Lolly Lead Dog!!! Mr Wolfe worked his little backside off too!!! They were just fabulous. ;) ;) ;)
Right..... so we are at the start line with Matty talking to Lolly and she is really confused that there is no Kirra and that her Daddy is up front talking to her and not on the rig behind her!! Bless. Mr Wolfe is pulling in his harness ready to get going...... 5...4....3....2....1..Go go go!!!!! We fly down the start straight really slippy and muddy but no probs for team Emsie even after 79 teams have cut it up... most of the others had scooted down at least part of it but not me, then we went round the corner and BOSH we got stuck in the mud on the hill. Bummer. Well no-one saw that!!!! PHEW so off I jump and I'm running with them, their little bums wiggling in front of me with all the pulling! So I'm running slower and slower, this hill is bloody never ending!! Still we turn a corner and he mud and ruts become more and the end of this straight is Mike and Pauline, they start calling and the dogs pick up slightly. Tangles is there hiding so as not to interfere but Lolly catches his eye and is intently eye balling him!!! Hee hee she's soooo clever, but Matty stays quiet. I call the Gee turn and she turns perfectly... we had watched a few others call it too early and turn into the trees!! Hee hee not us!!! Then as I'm still running (much slower now) we see some form of savior.....some hard packed trail that isn't covered in mud!!! Yippee.... and we hit it "okay Lolly, pick it up sweetie....yeah" and we fly follow this for a bit which is fantastic....oooooh lungs a bit tight so asthma inhaler comes out, puff puff, that's better... able to stand on my foot plates for a bit and recover! Okay more soft trail, off I get again and run pushing the rig. Start singing to them now....don't think Tangles does that... can't remember what I was singing just know that I was!!!!! Maybe they ran faster then to get away from it????? Not sure, might have to ask them. Most of the rest of the trail went by in a bit of a blur. There were lots of steeps grassy hillocks we had to go up and down on, almost like being on a rollercoaster!!! Then we hit the mother of all muddy hills!!!! BOSH almost stopped dead! But we kept going!! It was so slippy I just kept slipping into my rig, at one point my left shin connected with my right footplate and I had to jump over the rig to stop myself from falling over. At this point I found it easier to push my rig above me and walk below it with the dogs in front of it. Great... massive bruise on my shin but I just keep going, can't let Matty and his team down. Then we hit a downhill, time for a bit of a rest on the footplates..... not a chance, about a foot of mud puts pay to that idea!!! So I'm pushing downhill as well now. We get to some more hard trail and go whizzing along...yippee come on Lolly, come on Wolfe, doing great guys. Then I see Graham up ahead directing us, we say thanks and he tells us it's not long now.... through Dingly Dell, would be exciting if it wasn't sooooo wet and cut up, then we hit the hard trail again and as we've lost momentum I have to use a trick Matty taught me. So I stop the team and make them wait 30secs.......5..4..3..2..1 GO guys go!!! And bless them they find that extra little bit of energy. We got up the hill and met Mike and Pauline on the Trail they were calling the dogs in and the dogs picked up their speed. Then we flew past them and Lolly heard her Daddy so we picked up even more speed and came flying over the finish. Whoopee, me the Lolly monster and Mr wolfe had completed our first race as Team Emsie. I'm soooo happy. The Sunday race was cancelled so we were placed according to Sat's times. Team Emsie came 2nd in class and was highest placed female musher!!! Only beaten by Super Mike, Dizzy and Skye. Well done Polaris, so proud of you!! ;)
Gosh can't believe it, Matty just said get round the couse safely as he said it was bad when he did it, another 30 teams had been through before I went out... you can imagine, but I came back cleaner than Matt had!!!! :D :D :D :D
As for my tutu, no way!!! I hate pink with a passion, so anyone who knows me knows what an achievement it was to get me in pink!!!
I wear running shoes, Matty had trail shoes on, they should have had more grip than mine but it sounded like he was slipping around more than me.
And my knee..... it's here and didn't cause me any problems at all. Phew.
What do we need now?????? More dogs!! Hee hee hee!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) ;)
Oh and a bigger place to live.
You know you're addicted to sled dog racing when after a late finish at work (1.45am) you are still up at 6.15am to go racing, you stand in the rain with your dogs until midday when your action begins, then after a long day you get back, you stand in the rain washing the mud off your rig and lines while your boyfriend is having a shower with the harnesses, then yoiu drive to the supermarket to get all the donations changed up to notes instead of coins, you haven't eaten much and your eyes are propped open with matchsticks, you then jump in the bath which said boyfriend has run for you while at supermarket to make yourself respectable for the Iditabuddy Banquet. And then try to phone fellow US Iditabuddy late at night before crashing to do it all again the next day. Only before settling to watch the Grand Prix you have to sort out washing, empty truck, get dogs settled and sorted then bath terriers as they brought home all the mud from the trail and have spread it all over the flat!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
I hope you enjoyed that and haven't fallen asleep. :lol: :lol:
I'm soooooo hooked!!
It was great to meet Team Tiara finally.... I'm so glad they made it but upset for them they cancelled the racing!!! BBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, disappointed I didn't get my 2nd race, but completely understand, safety must come first.... next year!!!
Love to you all a v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.v.tired Emsie xxxxx
mrwolfesmum

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:02 pm

Ems! :D Fantastic account!

Huge congratulations on outstanding achievement on your first race

highest placed female musher

second in class

and all done in pink.

Congratulations!
Another UK Fan

Postby aren » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi Ems, what a great report ;)
Congrats a lot, that's awesome # 2 in your class :D :D and your first ever race :D :D You must have had great fun, despite all the mud :D :D
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby boo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:31 pm

Alls I can say is if you are hooked in mud, you would be hopelessly lost on snow and a sled!!!! The addiction, the addiction... :roll:
boo
boo

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk