Sam Deltour

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Sam Deltour

Postby boo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:50 pm

Seavey's have got to be tickled with Sam....only musher who got all 16 dogs to Nome, great with a puppy team. Hearty slaps on the back to Sam and the Seavey coaching!!
boo
boo

Re: Sam Deltour

Postby mithious » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:03 pm

Ditto, what Boo said.....kudos....what a team that'll make.... :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby BB Backer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:34 am

I loved the story Jon Little wrote about the journey for those not competing to win.

Sam Deltour, a young Belgian man with a love for the outdoors and a passion for the north and travel by dog team, could not express the powerful feelings rocking his world in the finish chute. He’d run his dream, and now it was over. He’d completed it, but now came a sense of loss and even mourning for having to walk away from the wilderness, back into the noise and clutter of civilized life. Deltour’s eyes were red and wet with tears as he praised a single dog in his team that he’d had to carry in his sled early on because it worked too hard, but that matured on the trail and eventually became one of his best little leaders. His story ended in sobs that echoed through the PA system set up on Front Street.

I can just imagine what a life changing moment that must be! :D :D Thanks for writing it in such a poignant way, Jon.

I'm sure we'd all like to hear from each of those brave mushers whose Iditarod was more than just a race. Their stories most likely are even more compelling than the winners. I wish there were 2 dozen Jon Littles to help share their stories. :) :) :) In fact, wouldn't those stories make a great book? ...a series of short stories. And better yet, each year you could write a new one. 8-) Think about it, Jon. I'd be first in line to buy it! :)
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Postby aren » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:08 am

BB Backer wrote:I loved the story Jon Little wrote about the journey for those not competing to win.

Sam Deltour, a young Belgian man with a love for the outdoors and a passion for the north and travel by dog team, could not express the powerful feelings rocking his world in the finish chute. He’d run his dream, and now it was over. He’d completed it, but now came a sense of loss and even mourning for having to walk away from the wilderness, back into the noise and clutter of civilized life. Deltour’s eyes were red and wet with tears as he praised a single dog in his team that he’d had to carry in his sled early on because it worked too hard, but that matured on the trail and eventually became one of his best little leaders. His story ended in sobs that echoed through the PA system set up on Front Street.

I can just imagine what a life changing moment that must be! :D :D Thanks for writing it in such a poignant way, Jon.

I'm sure we'd all like to hear from each of those brave mushers whose Iditarod was more than just a race. Their stories most likely are even more compelling than the winners. I wish there were 2 dozen Jon Littles to help share their stories. :) :) :) In fact, wouldn't those stories make a great book? ...a series of short stories. And better yet, each year you could write a new one. 8-) Think about it, Jon. I'd be first in line to buy it! :)

This is indeed what makes it so valuable to follow the whole race. There are so many stories to be told and the stories about the "non competetive" mushers and their experiences are just as exiting as the stories by or about the frontrunners.

A big thank you to John Little, the BSSD and others, that provide us with all these stories :D :D :D
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:12 am

And even the stories of those who had to scratch, How was their race, why did they scratch, how do they get themselves and dogs and sled home?? What happens to the bags of food and gear sent up the trail?
So many stories, yes would make a great book, could be made an annual publication. I'd buy.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Heidi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:56 am

boo wrote:Seavey's have got to be tickled with Sam....only musher who got all 16 dogs to Nome, great with a puppy team. Hearty slaps on the back to Sam and the Seavey coaching!!

Woohoo! Nice job Sam!!! Very impressive. :D
Heidi

Return to Mushing Talk