Rohn-Nikolai-McGrath

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Rohn-Nikolai-McGrath

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:54 pm

Moose wrote:Petit took his 24 plus an additional 50 minutes in Nikolai. Planned strategy, or was he having issues of some kind? Anyone know anything?

They interviewed him in Nikolai - he'd been running fast and up front most of the race, and seemed pretty grumpy about how bad the trail had been on the way over (contrasting with a lot of other mushers who said it was the best they'd seen in years). My take was that he needed a break.

Bruce also said that he and Nic had discussed weird 24-hour locations in Rohn. The subject came up last night. Bruce said that historically everyone used to 24 in Rohn; then Jeff King(?) pushed it out to Nik; then Doug Swingley started going really long (I think as far as Iditarod?) - which at the time no-one thought was possible. There was mention of Martin in there too... I need to go back and rewatch - it was interesting history.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:54 pm

Moose wrote:Petit took his 24 plus an additional 50 minutes in Nikolai. Planned strategy, or was he having issues of some kind? Anyone know anything?

They interviewed him in Nikolai - he'd been running fast and up front most of the race, and seemed pretty grumpy about how bad the trail had been on the way over (contrasting with a lot of other mushers who said it was the best they'd seen in years). My take was that he needed a break.

Bruce also said that he and Nic had discussed weird 24-hour locations in Rohn. The subject came up last night. Bruce said that historically everyone used to 24 in Rohn; then Jeff King(?) pushed it out to Nik; then Doug Swingley started going really long (I think as far as Iditarod?) - which at the time no-one thought was possible. There was mention of Martin in there too... I need to go back and rewatch - it was interesting history.
elsietee

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:55 pm

Thanks, Elsietee.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:40 pm

Amazing works as always ElseIe x
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:42 pm

Pippiroo wrote:Thanks for posting all the recaps of the videos! I'm curious (and don't know...) how the RP volunteer could fix Kattijo's broken sled- is that or isn't that outside assistance? Glad she was able to get it fixed :)

I kept meaning to get back to this question because I wondered about it as well. Finally dug out the answer just now:

Rule 31 -- Outside Assistance: No planned physical help is allowed throughout the Race. All care
and feeding of dogs will be done only by that team’s musher. All dog maintenance and care of
dog teams and gear in checkpoints will be done in the designated localized holding area. A
musher relinquishing the care of his/her team to leave the checkpoint and or village without
approval of the Race Marshal must withdraw from the Race. Common resources available to all
mushers will not be considered outside assistance.

Snow machine use to assist a specific musher by breaking trail or impeding the progress of a
competitor by damaging the existing trail is strictly prohibited.

So in KattiJo's case, it's because her saviour, Eric, was available to all mushers to provide his excellent sled-mending skills.
If he'd been a special helper, only there to help her, it would have been against the rules.
elsietee

Postby Pippiroo » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:44 am

Thanks for checking on the outside assistance rule! Sounds like Kattijo might need help again with a broken stanchion :o
Pippiroo

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:45 am

As a licensed race marshal myself, if that help is available to all mushers and it is not directly helping the dogs outside of ver care or an emergency situation then it allowed if it doesn’t give an unfair advantage to that musher or hinder other mushers. Sometimes we must understand the rules and allow every eventuality with in them, ie common sense and sportsmanship.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:55 am

Along those lines - what are the rules about what can be done to a loose dog team - in the case of Eddie's team arriving at EI without him - how much care can be offered to them? (esp. if they don't know how long it's going to take to retrieve the musher?).

From the video, it looked like they had just been secured and a vet checked them over, but otherwise, no creature comforts offered. But possibly they knew how quickly they could get Eddie reunited with them?
elsietee

Postby Pippiroo » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:09 am

In the KTUU update from last night they interview Eddie (starts at 1:48) and it shows him coming into the checkpoint on a snow machine (around 2:38 in the clip) So maybe they sent someone out to get him... He lost time so Nordman determined no advantage was gained. Glad he and the team were okay.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/video ... od-update/
Pippiroo

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk