Rohn-Nikolai-McGrath

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Rohn-Nikolai-McGrath

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:32 am

Front runners are through Rohn and camping out about a third of the way to Nik.

Ryan Redington is still rabbiting out front somewhat (although he just got leapfrogged by Brent and Jessie). Ryan is camped on the very edge of the burn, and has been joined by Richie, and Kelly Maixner.

Holmes/Sass (Jessie said he was going to stick close to Brent) are on their way to Nik, with Brent now stopped and I'd expect Jessie to do the same shortly (but no doubt parked where he can keep a careful eye out for Brent when he comes past.

Eddie Burke was the first rookie out of Rohn, along with Pete, Mille, and Matt Failor.

Rohn-Nik-03-06-23_23-30.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Re: Rohn-Nikolai-McGrath

Postby mira » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:54 am

You were totally right, Jessie stopped about where you posted the screen dump, five miles in front of Brent. Milles is 4 miles behind Brent.

Nicolas Petit and Matt Hall has just passed the resting party around mile 207.

Jessie Holmes 221
Brent Sass 216
Mille Porsild 212
Matthew Failor 211
Peter Kaiser 210
Nicolas Petit, Matt Hall 208 both on the move
Ryan Redington , Kelly Maixner, Eddie Burke, Richie Diehl 207
Riley Dyche 207, on the move.
mira

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:27 am

I have to say I'm really enjoying the smaller field - much easier to keep track of people and figure out what's going on.

And interested to see the pack is staying fairly closed up at this point - perhaps because of the good trail? There are no lollygaggers as in past years.
elsietee

Postby mira » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:39 am

Both Jessie and Brent rested for ~4 hours I think, haven't rewinded for the others, but I guess it applies for most of them.

Nicolas has 24 miles left to Nikolai, and Nicolas is 8 miles ahead of Ryan Redington.

into_takotna.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mira

Postby libby the lab » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:14 am

Nic declared his 24 in Nik. Heister thinks he means it. Nic said why would take my dogs back out in the heat of the day/
Interesting
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby mira » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:51 am

Uhm.. that's early, haven't checked the weather forecast though.

I think some prefer to be done with the mandatory rest as soon as possible to be able to follow their own schedule.. but it also means worse trail, being back in the pack for some legs, but it depends on the snow type I guess.
mira

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:19 am

From Wade Marrs' Stump Jumpin' Kennel FB page:

Good morning all! We have a glitchy tracker on our hands folks. If you were around for the Quest, I mentioned how this is a blessing and a curse. Rest assured Wade is not taking an extended vacation outside of Rohh, and standings show him having rested 4hr 30 min there.

For this next 75 mile run to Nikolai, I'm going to call this tracker glitch a blessing, some of you may argue! Wade departed with 13 dogs and now the "guessing" game begins...will he run straight to Nikolai? Or find a spot to camp in between?
Watching the front runners, I'm starting to get on pins and needles thinking about where mushers wil decide to take their 24hr mandatory. So far many look poised to go well beyond their usual picks. Who is going to Iditarod? Petit has mentioned in many past Insider interviews that he'd love to make it to Kaltag one day for his 24.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:37 am

Heister reporting that it's already 11°F (-12°C) in Nik (pre-dawn), so expect another hot day.

Timing-wise, this plays into the hands of Brent-JessieH - who rested closer to Nik, so still have only gone 25-30 miles on this run and can blow through and head on to McGrath while its still cool. And by the time they are ready for their rest it'll be warming up. Heister said Brent has historically stopped five miles short of Nik - and indeed he did stop there for a snack just now but is continuing on to the checkpoint now.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:48 am

Current standings show Jessie Royer still in Rohn and having taken her 24. Neither of those things are correct :)

Jessie is in fact half way to Nik.

(and I'm keeping an eye on Christian, who stopped at Tin Creek for 4 hours... but is stopped again less than 20 miles up the trail. Hoping he's just snacking and doesn't have a sled issue).
elsietee

Postby libby the lab » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:50 am

LC I thought he said he usually takes a break 5 miles past Nik
Kelly just said there was about 4 miles of mud on the last run and it was on the uphill parts :o
I guess that explains Brent and Jessie each dropping a dog.
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Next

Return to Mushing Talk