Anvik, Grayling, Eagle Island, Kaltag

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Anvik, Grayling, Eagle Island, Kaltag

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:10 am

Black Spruce Dog Sledding - Jeff & KattiJo Deeter

Katti is into Grayling, and will declare her mandatory 8. And, just to keep us on the edge of our seats, she managed to break her sled, AGAIN! This time, a snapped stanchion on the taildragger (located behind where she stands). I don’t know yet if and how she will fix it, but she will manage.
Next year, it’s a tougher sled with “don’t crash” etched on the handlebar!
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:39 am

Day 6 Morning update-

Currently, Katti is on my very favorite run of the entire Southern Route of the Iditarod Trail. As mushers leave Iditarod, they climb a series of hills and follow a half dozen ridge lines, moving from interior Alaska to the upper part of the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta. The journey is breathtaking in more ways than one. In the next hour, Katti will crest the tallest hill on her run, and be able to see for 50 miles, out across the mighty expanse of the Yukon River. And, she is in a race!

After a solid rest in Iditarod, she departed with 13 dogs, and as I write this sentence, has gained almost an hour on Riley and Aaron and about 15-20 minutes on Dan. If she doesn’t pass Riley and Aaron on this run, she will on her next. She is going to continue with solid rest for the next two stops, planning her 8 hour mandatory in Grayling. After that, it’s time for her to really pick up the pace. And, I know she has a plan.

Currently, front runners are hitting the Yukon River checkpoints of Anvik and are enroute to Grayling. Trail speeds seem exceptional, with Pete trucking at almost 10 mph. So, Katti will plan to bank some rest with her next two stops, and then make a couple big moves up the river and over to the coast. I can’t disclose exactly what she has planned (in part because I don’t fully know), but my hope is that she can shave half a day off her schedule in the next 5 runs. That is a big ask, but the trail conditions are good, temps are cold, and 10 of her 13 team members all made it to Nome with us last year. This counts for something, as they are going to remember Kaltag, and know they have only 280 miles left.

A couple notes from Katti-

She is reporting everyone to be in great shape and eating voraciously. Apparently, Kobuk and Dylan are her real surprises for appetite (being generally picky throughout the training season), and are currently in “beast mode.” Way to go boys!
Old Knox is still holding in there with the young guns, and seemed perky and energetic when I caught a glimpse of him on the live feed last night. Katti has run out of his bootie size though, and is drying out his used sets at each checkpoint.
The team continues to be absolute animals when coming into a checkpoint, and scream and bark their heads off as Katti tries to get checked in and parked. Geeze guys!
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:25 am

I feel a bit like I'm talking to myself here... anyone listening?

re-finagling my stats now that Brent is out <sniffle>

Front group on "conventional schedule":
* Ryan
* Richie
* Pete
* Matt Failor (2:30 hours behind)(times are very rough)
* Eddie (2:45 hours behind)
* Matt Hall (4:30 hours behind)
* Hunter (4:30 hours behind)
* Wade (4:45 hours behind)

Alternate schedule (rested 12 miles further down the trail, so an hour+ ability to leapfrog):
* Jessie
* Nic (1:30 hours behind)

Alternate alternate schedule (still to take their 8):
* Kelly
* Mille
Last edited by elsietee on Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
elsietee

Postby sarsmile » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:37 am

Listening eagerly, and refreshing regularly for the latest updates. Your posts are always an Iditarod highlight, elsie, even if I don't comment often. Thanks so much for all of the work you put in!
sarsmile

Postby Alphashe » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:49 am

Oh, no. We're listening, for sure. You're doing a great job! Thanks a lot from Norway :-)
Alphashe

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:50 am

sarsmile wrote:Listening eagerly, and refreshing regularly for the latest updates. Your posts are always an Iditarod highlight, elsie, even if I don't comment often. Thanks so much for all of the work you put in!

Ah, OK, good. :)

(I worried I was just being a blabbermouth, monopolizing a thread that no-one is actually looking at, and everyone is off to the side, rolling their eyes and wishing I'd shut up :) ).

The posts actually help me make sense of the whole race. I write things down... then recheck stats and realize they aren't true at all. So it clarifies things in my head as to what's going on.

Heister and Bruce just on live - said something about the sea ice across Norton Sound not being there, so the teams might have to go the long way around. Of course, I was off making coffee when they made this comment, so just caught the tail end of it. As soon as they repost the video, I'll post what they actually said.
elsietee

Postby klmobile » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:53 am

Were here with you el, if I could word smith like you… I would post more often ;)
This is an incredible circumstance with so many mushers coming into to Kaltag with in
A few hours of each other. I had crunched numbers for Jessie and Brent to Unk tomorrow morning , getting there about 8 or 9 am within an hour of each other. I wonder if Jessie will change anything when he finds out Brent had to scratch?
Don't Buy Cheap work Boots!!
klmobile

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:01 pm

Day 7 Morning Update-

Katti mended her sled with help from race judge Warren Palfrey (thanks Warren!) and is heading up the mighty Yukon to Eagle Island, and should be arriving around 1:30. She did leave a team member behind, to be flown home, but we don’t know who that is yet.

Speeds are truly incredible on the trail, when compared to recent years on this route. Most of the front runners, and the Black Spruce Team, are averaging speeds between 8.5 and 9.5 miles per hour. Fun!
Consequently, these conditions are making for quite the competitive race. We have 10 teams enroute to Kaltag, all arriving within a couple hours of each other. That’s really an anomaly in recent Iditarod’s.

Ok, now on to the heartbreak. Our buddy Brent Sass pulled the plug and scratched in Eagle Island. This is a shock for the mushing world. It is pretty rare that a returning champion doesn’t make it to the finish the following year. That being said, some influences are out of our control, and personal health is key when running a race like this. Brent, we wish you back to 100%, and know that you have plenty more mushing this spring.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:10 pm

To add to this, Christian Turner (don't forget he's running Dallas' dogs, so building speed) is taking his 8 at EI (assuming he's not also suffering from an undisclosed issue <sad face>) and will be ready to leave there ~11:45, which puts him a couple of hours behind Wade.

elsietee wrote:Front group on "conventional schedule":
* Ryan
* Richie
* Pete
* Matt Failor (2:30 hours behind)(times are very rough)
* Eddie (2:45 hours behind)
* Matt Hall (4:30 hours behind)
* Hunter (4:30 hours behind)
* Wade (4:45 hours behind)

Alternate schedule (rested 12 miles further down the trail, so an hour+ ability to leapfrog):
* Jessie
* Nic (1:30 hours behind)

Alternate alternate schedule (still to take their 8):
* Kelly
* Mille
elsietee

Postby mira » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:26 pm

Sad to learn about Sass, but of course, he must be the one most disappointed.

This is a tough year to follow, a couple of alternative schedules, few teams in total, but most are really competitive. Can't remember such a tight race this late.. usually the long legs to Yukon and the Yukon travels makes bigger difference.

Alas it weekend, and then I am only to check the standings from time to time... So yes, we love your postings elsietee! Thank you so much
mira

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk