Kaltag - Unk - Shak - Koyuk - Elim - WM

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Kaltag - Unk - Shak - Koyuk - Elim - WM

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:46 pm

Boo on they who distracted Ryan's team. Aside from that, things have gotten quite exciting. Ryan in Elam, Pete and Richie both 33 miles behind.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:50 pm

People in the chat are pointing out that the team suffered a hit an run from a snowmachine just a few months ago, so may have easily been put off by that.

But the dogs are tired, and kudos to Pete for doing right by his team in Elim.

Pete and Richie are in the hills before Golovin Bay, still travelling together, with Pete a smidgin in front. They have pulled out a 5 mile lead on a resting Matt Hall who is stopped on the ice just before where the trail veers back into the hills for a 40 min break (so far).

In other news, having taken a snapshot of where Matt Failor was and keeping an eye out for Hunter arriving at that same location - Hunter has not gained any time on Matt since leaving Koyuk 18 miles prior - which is good news for Eddie (currently a couple of miles behind Matt Failor).

Christian Turner is still stalled in Shak; Jessie Royer, Aaron Peck, and KattiJo are nearly to the shelter cabin on the spit.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby flowerpower » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:34 pm

Did Ryan rest at all on the run from Koyuk? I don't have tracker and it's too hard from the logs. :(
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby libby the lab » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:15 pm

FP no just snack breaks
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:40 pm

No, Flower, he just snacked them. The longest I saw he was stopped for about 10-15 mins on the north side of Golovin Spit.

From the chat:

"My guy in White Mountain is telling me that the Snow Machines made such a Track next to the Dog Trail, that Ryan's leader kept trying to take the nicer trail instead of following the trail markers. Just a little confusion....not fatigue. Good leaders area always sniffing out good trail"

Matt Hall is moving again after a 1.5 hour break before the hills. He has made it up the first climb and is moving along.

Kelly just went through Elim, leaving Matt Failor, Eddie, and Jessie resting there.

Hunter is 7 miles out.

And Mille is 15 miles from Elim, having rested for 3 hours 45 mins at a shelter cabin between Koyuk and Elim.
elsietee

Postby flowerpower » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:16 pm

That's a really long run. Hope they recover and don't mutiny on him like a few other teams I recollect. :?
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:48 pm

Pete safe and well in WM.

Chat group reporting his dogs looked great (my camera froze without me realizing and I was working so missed seeing the dogs moving <grrr>).

Bruce says that Pete says his rest brought his dogs up to a little perkier level, so he's happy with how they look.

Pete is now parked, and here comes Richie up the slough.

Richie's dogs look good and trotty - still alert, still pulling, still listening to commands - big leader and little leader in front. One tail wagger in the middle. Now parked - swing dogs and lead dogs turned around, looking optimistically backwards for upcoming snacks.

He dropped one in Elim, so is down to 7.

Richie's dogs chomping enthusiastically on snacks - eating well.

Straw going down - dogs liking that - digging it so it's "just so" and finishing their snacks.

Bruce: Richie and Pete both wide awake and "snappy" - in good moods - because of the extended rest in Elim.

Going to let them get their dog chores done, and try and have a quick chat with them afterwards to get an idea of how the run went.

But it seems that the extra rest in Elim did dogs and mushers good.
elsietee

Postby Frozen Chosen » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:53 pm

I hope so too Flower! Ryan has a commanding 4 hour lead. Diehl and Kaiser ran an hour faster, over the last 46 miles from Elim. So this is Ryan's race to win...finally, a Redington who has a chance to get it all! Wishing I was there in Nome to see the finish...
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:29 pm

Frozen Chosen wrote:
libby the lab wrote:Pete has been in Elim almost 5 hrs after puling within under 5 miles of Ryan on the run to there from Koyuk. Something must be up :(

Yup, so much for Dallas's nice assessment for Pete's team. Like Dallas said, watching a team enter a check point is not the same as seeing it out in the field. The Top 10 all have between 8-10 dogs, so this years condition must be brutal on the teams. Pete's team may have looked fast, but maybe Ryan's have stamina. Even if slower, staying power is the key...guess we'll see depending on who gets to Wt Mtn first and how they string out from there...I don't mind there being a Bering Sea storm too, makes things interesting...just like last year...

Elsietee, maybe you have a clue on whats going on in Elim...

I so much value your insight... Thank you so much for being a part of our seemingly small pack!!

many regards to LCT for being the BEST ever prognosticator/Recap-artist and typist we have.

the pack was small this year... but the emotions are large, dagn nabbit peeps, this is THE Iditarod. We are so lucky to get to follow it these day.... lets keep it alive.
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:45 pm

Matt Hall into WM

Dogs look great, trotting strongly. Pulling at their booties, still standing, leaning in to harnesses, jumping over the gangline, getting pets as he goes down the line unhooking them. 8 in harness.

He's dressed in his white wind suit.

Cutting open the straw bale bags... Dogs being gone over carefully by two vets.

Matt rested 3:45 in Koyuk, and 1.5 hours outside Elim, and went really steady - a very smart race for him. I'm thrilled for him since he's such a nice guy and always so understated. And been on a sled since he was a tiny tot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk