White Mountain- Safety- NOME SWEET NOME

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: White Mountain- Safety- NOME SWEET NOME

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:06 pm

Mille:

Gets a hug, says she's a little sore. Asked about getting lost.

"Yuh, that was not smooth. The hard part was on the shore - that's the windiest I've ever seen, so by the time they got to Cape Nome, it was easier. "

"I love what I do. I love being with the dogs. It was an amazing race. All the people - family and friends who support you - think about it a lot when you're out there alone.

Warm weather at start was awful and impacted her race a lot - had to send 4 dogs home by Tak, and doubting she'd make it to Nome.

Doesn't like to call out any special dog, because they wouldn't be here without any of them, but the one that carried the biggest burden was Nico - they're all amazing.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:11 pm

Wade:

[Wade's set up this year just doesn't look like Wade black jacket, black sled bag, very incognito. ]

<greets his toddler son> "Hi buddy! Did you see Jet?" [dog] <takes him off to visit the dog>

A lot of wind - that's for sure. <looks really tired>

Never seen the wind blow like that on top. Has seen the blowholes doing that, but this year up on the hills it was ripping really hard. He and Hunter lost the trail a couple of times. Lost Hunter at the cabin, but knew that he had it before we got there, so it was ok.

Pretty awesome to see his little guy. Nap time for both of them.

Coming in to Nome with the Northern LIghts from Cape Nome was pretty cool. Best Northern Lights he's seen.

Likes the Southern route - enjoyed spending 24 in ID, getting to know the guys.
elsietee

Postby Breeze » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:34 pm

These are the mushers who come back because they want the experience, not necessarily the win.

Yeah, It's an expensive undertaking, but probably not as expensive than competitive surfing.
There are no great white shark attacks on the Iditarod trail,
Breeze

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:37 pm

I missed Dan Kaduce coming in, so was rewatching his video. His wheel dog is still jumping up and down and whining to go.

Between him and Jodi, they've done more than 15 x 1,1000 mile races.

Dallas was out on the ice (footage on his FB) filming [edited to add CHRISTIAN - that's who he was filming] coming up the beach - says he was aiming for the fastest Safety-Nome time - and it looks like he might have done it - just!.

Jessie: 2h 39m
Dan Kaduce: 2h 39m
Christian: 2h 38m

For now, at least. Ramey Smyth just left WM and he's in 19th place (isn't this award for the top 20?).
Nic is also in contention and can run fast. So keep an eye on that.
Last edited by elsietee on Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:01 pm

Jessie Royer:

pulling this from the chat, where I was transcribing as quickly as I could when she arrived:

Got her first sled dog at 15
worked for Doug Swingley
just won Race for the Sky again (having won it at 17)
Does mounted shooting
She has dark, long-legged, well taken care of, dogs

“This is how you tell a veteran musher - it’s 10° and Jessie’s stripping off clothes” <as she's debootying the dogs>

Checker: “Can we do your 20th bag check?”

Jessie's hat says “Never give up”

She has some flowers on the sled given to her by a good friend’s 3 yr old, so she brought them all the way from the start.

She is handed a mountain dew - “It’s tradition!”

Although she hasn’t been to Nome in two years, she only missed one ID - the other was when they went back to Willow last year.

She got more sleep on this race than ever

Because of the break, her veteran dogs have retired, so she has 9 rookies and 1 veteran (started with 13 rookies). She hopes to have, therefore, a veteran team next year from this team

Her fuzzy dogs from previous years are now 12, just do tours, and live in a retirement pen. Everyone asks about them, so she was thinking she should bring them for the ceremonial start

She listens to murder-mystery audio books.

She has never hallucinated in 20 years on ID trail - but it has to be a good audiobook or she falls asleep

Says it was cool to see the villagers who are always so excited to see them, and the volunteers this year were amazing - it’s always good when she doesn’t have to get her cooker out.

She saw a lot of locals she hadn’t seen in a few years

Asked about her favorite dog and says she can’t pick a fav dog - they’re *all* her favs

Did she have any probs last night from wind?

No, Christian and her had a plan - they were going to do their 8 hour plus two hours. Then they were told about the weather advisory and told to wait until daylight, but they didn’t want to. She ended up staying 12 hours and wishes she’s only rested 10 - staying 12 meant she lost a place [Christian ultimately only stayed 11:45, meaning her lead went from 48 minutes to a 21 minutes]

But there was no wind - it was a beautiful day in the neighborhood all the way through - no having to walk her team or anything.

They never see wind in MT, so her dogs have never seen it. It blew hard between Koyuk and Elim and her dogs went faster. They kept wanting to go INTO the wind, strangely.

The dogs didn’t mind the warm weather - and did really well.

She had a blast and hopes to be back - with her newly-veteran team
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:05 pm

KattiJo:

"My back!" she says, stretching it.

Talking about last year versus this year:

Once she decided she would run it again, she forgot about last year's debacle. She didn't think about last year until a couple of weeks before the race.

Then she got nervous when she got to Unk. Then it was very windy in Koyuk and she had a hellacious ride to Elim - but she was able to put it out of her mind.

She got sick, broke her sled, went afew more days, had another broken sled, but was never without a smile. How d'you maintain that attitude?

KJ: You didn't see me - I was not smiling on the coast.

I figure I'm just so lucky to be doing it, with my amazing dogs, the support network, just nuts - you'll have a terrible run and upon arrival, someone is there to feed/warm/fix your sled. So you can't have a bad attitude. And you're around ppl who are also excited about the race.

Q: What was it like not to have Jeff on the trail this year? [last year both she and Jeff ran it]

"Lonelier than she expected. "

There was a small field - so not as many ppl around you. She saw Aaron and Jessie, but there was more space, so it was more lonely.

Southern Route was new to her - what stood out?

"Man, I had always wanted to go to Iditarod, but the run from ID to Shag was wild - very technical. She got tossed off her sled so many times, doesn't know how she didn't break the sled again - until finally she stopped and switched her sled plastic.

It was like a pinball machine/bobsled luge - like being on a surfboard behind a freight train

She dropped a dog at Safety - FItzer. He was a last min decision for team - some of her A Team dogs got injured, so he was a B Team dog, and wasn't supposed to come. But he was in lead going over Topcok Hills. Moose her normal leader was not feeling it this morning, so she put FItzer in lead instead. It was a really hard run, but he led the whole way - and five miles before Safety he suddenly started to head bob, so must have stepped in a hole. She was bummed as it would have been fun to bring him to Nome.

Asked about competitiveness?

Says she realises it was a small field, but doesn't want to discredit the field since it was also a very competitive field. she also thinks Jeff would have placed higher with the team, but they made her look good.

Hugs from mom, m-in-law and "Trail mom" and a hand shake from Ryan, and hug from Jeff.
elsietee

Postby Breeze » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:11 pm

"Jessie: 2h 39m

For now, at least. Ramey Smyth just left WM and he's in 19th place (isn't this award for the top 20?).
Nic is also in contention and can run fast. So keep an eye on that."

This is a top 20 award. Ramey Smyth owns the previous Safety to Nome fastest time ever of 2 hrs 19 minutes from 2013. Neither Dallas nor Mitch Seavey even know what I'm talking about, their boy Christian is fastest of all time, Safety to Nome.

Man, I'm tired of watching the Seavey men stumble over their hair. The boys didn't learn it from Jeanine.
Breeze

Postby elsietee » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:17 pm

From KattiJo's FB crew - a picture of the shelter cabin where her race came to an end last year, and where Hunter spent the night last night on his way to Nome:

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=64183188

(that year with KattiJo, I believe there were three mushers and three dog teams stuffed in that cabin?).
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:52 pm

elsietee wrote:Dallas was out on the ice (footage on his FB) filming [edited to add CHRISTIAN - that's who he was filming] coming up the beach - says he was aiming for the fastest Safety-Nome time - and it looks like he might have done it - just!.

Jessie: 2h 39m

Nic is also in contention and can run fast. So keep an eye on that.

And Nic wiped the floor with them, completing the Safety - Nome stretch in just 2 h 12 mins!!
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:58 pm

Breeze wrote:Neither Dallas nor Mitch Seavey even know what I'm talking about, their boy Christian is fastest of all time, Safety to Nome.

Man, I'm tired of watching the Seavey men stumble over their hair. The boys didn't learn it from Jeanine.

NO! Sorry, I re-read what I wrote and totally omitted to include that it was CHRISTIAN Dallas was filming, who was going for the fastest S-N award. As a result my post made absolutely NO SENSE - sorry about that.

Dallas was hoping Christian would get it.

Looks like Nic did, though (Ramey Smyth was "only" 3 hrs 28 mins).
elsietee

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk