Dallas Time Penalty

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Dallas Time Penalty

Postby Frozen Chosen » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:03 am

Alphashe wrote:In the interview @Cripple Dallas sounds like the race is lost. His energy is "less Dallas" than normal. For extra 2 hrs with rest? Ok, he his disappointed. I get that. But it can't be the end of the World (Race)....

Alphashe, 30 plus years ago, a few hours didn't necessarily matter halfway through the race. Hours didn't matter till White Mtn. Only time it did is if someone got lost and went 5-15 miles down the wrong trail...backtracking took a toll on the team and musher...I remember Joe Garnie being in the lead, back in mid 80s, and he went out first outa McGrath, then promptly took the wrong trail...it wiped him out...plus he had intestinal flu...waaaaahhhh.....

With Travis in Ruby already, and a whole slew behind him, looks like the 2 hour penalty is making a big difference! With over 10 teams running back to back, at least the first half of the route, a musher cant afford to make any mistakes! But as they trickle past Kaltag and on down to Unalakleet, the field will cut down to at least 3-5 teams...the long level stretch of the Yukon takes a toll on teams...then there could be a good wild Bering Sea storm awaitin' them along the coast too...
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby dashdel » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:59 am

dashdel

Postby elsietee » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:46 am

dashdel wrote:Interesting perspective

https://craigmedred.news/2024/03/06/bad-decisions/

<eye roll> Craig does like to point fingers and speculate - and drum up drama to get views.

My understanding is that the dog had lacerations - and it wasn't until it was under veterinary care that it was discovered to have internal injuries.

Worth listening to Rob Cooke here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzUEaChDuyM, even if you don't listen to the entire podcast, to get a clearer view of the likely scenario.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Delichte1960 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:46 am

Craig shows that doesn't know much about these kind of injuries.
To give an example. My dad was hit by a flying wood plank, that he was planeing, in the stomach area. No punctures, just very sore. He goes to the local doctor. The doctor decides he needs farther investigation, at a larger hospital. Emergency surgery was required to repair a ruptured intestine.
The same thing probably happened with Dallas's dog. A rapid kick from the moose. No external injury can be seen. But there was internal damage, that needed repair.
We have to ask ourselves, in these kinds of incidents, do we really think, we would have done any better? Different, yes. probably worse. Also they are in the middle of nowhere. It takes time to get to a check point, with a dog team. And dogs do need their rest.
Delichte1960

Postby Leaddog » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:54 pm

We have to ask ourselves, in these kinds of incidents, do we really think, we would have done any better?

Not sure it is relevant what any of us would have done since none of us are 5-time Iditarod champions and residents of Alaska for 3+ decades (unless Rick Swenson is lurking in the group). The fact of the matter is that Dallas is a de facto ambassador of this race and this sport based on his experience and record. Clearly, we have different expectations of someone in that position.

And for the record, while I don't have any idea of Craig Medred's knowledge base regarding traumatic injuries to athletic dogs, I'm pretty solid on my own and any dog that gets stomped by a moose needs to be examined by a veterinarian ASAP - for EXACTLY the reasons that became evident in this case. And I would expect someone who is a high-level PROFESSIONAL dog handler to know that as well.
Leaddog

Postby Moose » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:07 pm

Leaddog wrote:
. . . any dog that gets stomped by a moose needs to be examined by a veterinarian ASAP - for EXACTLY the reasons that became evident in this case. And I would expect someone who is a high-level PROFESSIONAL dog handler to know that as well.

Yes. This. ^^
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby dashdel » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:58 pm

dashdel

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk