Where is Mike Suprenant?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Where is Mike Suprenant?

Postby DustMusher » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:33 am

Mike's invitation to Mith is just what he is!

Last year I was up there and had been in communications with Mike and was planning on helping him for the start/restart but he withdrew before the race (was finishing he Yukon 300 during the food drop). Mike then contacted me and offered to let me ride in his sled during one of his training runs while I was up there.

For someone who had never even seen a team hooked up, and had only seen a sled in the ballroom of a hotel in Indiana, I jumped at the chance.

The day I went up to Chugiak to take a ride was magical! Mike is such a nice person and loves his dogs. And understands what we who are not/cannot live the mushing dream really ARE as devoted to mushing as those who go out and brave the hardships so we fans might dream.

I am sorry that Mike did not get to Nome - but am so proud to say I know him and I know this year is just the start of a great legacy for him in the race.

It is a long way from high school in San Antonio to the start line in Anchorage -- that journey Mike has compleated, now On To Nome!

DM
And I will be your guide beneath these Northern Lights
And you will be my shadow on the snow.
Husky's Code by Kyf Brewer
DustMusher

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk