Ryan & Paige mishap

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Ryan & Paige mishap

Postby Pippiroo » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:40 pm

Here's the info from KTUU's blog:

Ryan: “I fell asleep and fell off the sled. I pulled an Eddie Burke. It wasn’t a good feeling, face first into the snow.”
Paige: “I mean, I was basically right there when he fell off.”
Ryan: “She said ‘Jump on!’ before she even got to me.”
Paige: “He was like running. I could still see his team, and he jumped on my sled and we slowed way down.”
Ryan: “We went a couple miles. It wasn’t too far but still a scary feeling.”
Paige: “Just when I was getting ready to pass him it was his strategy to keep me behind him.”
Ryan: “Paige gave me a ride. It really saved me.”

But not long after saving a fellow competitor, Drobny had a mishap of her own. On the way into the Ruby checkpoint, her dog team, seemingly thought they could finish this leg on their own.
Paige: “They just tried to kill me on my way in again… and come in without me. I was doing a power slide around the corner and we slid all the way to the other side and hit the berm, and I went flying and my sled went flying a different way, and they kept going. And they caught on another berm and then they took me up and over the berm and then into another lady’s house. Yeah… I might have a few a couple new bruises.”
Ryan: “It’s part of Iditarod.”

www.alaskasnewssource.com/2024/03/02/20 ... live-blog/
Pippiroo

Re: Ryan & Paige mishap

Postby flowerpower » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:39 pm

:D :D :D :D :D Thanks Pip! I heard Ryan lost his team, but didn't get the story.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Re: Ryan & Paige mishap

Postby Pippiroo » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:31 pm

Good thing Paige was close by!!
Pippiroo

Return to Mushing Talk