Finishers Banquet 2024

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Finishers Banquet 2024

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:55 am

Still don't see the video of the finishers banquet over at ITC. Wonder what the delay is all about. Or maybe I just don't see where they put it.

Would be real nice to be able to see who won which prize. I loved that Matt Failor won two of them. Don't remember first one but the second was the one all the mushers vote for. Coming from fellow mushers makes it very special.

The first one might have been for sportsmanship.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Pippiroo » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:37 pm

These are the description of Matt Failor's awards from Terri Henke's articles on the Iditarod website:

1. Donlin Gold Sportsmanship Award –
Race Director, Mark Nordman received a text from Hunter Keefe who scratched from the race asking Mark to consider Matthew Failor for the Sportsmanship Award. Hunter said even on his worst day he wasn’t alone. All the mushers helped him, but Matthew was exceptionally helpful. Matthew Failor was chosen to receive the Sportsmanship Award and received a check for $3,000.

2. – Northern Air Cargo Herbie Nayokpuk Award –
As a person who emulates “Herbie” the Shishmaref Cannon Ball in his or her attitude on the trial, Matthew Failor was chosen by race staff and officials to receive this honor. Herbie, a musher’s musher, was known for his smile, enthusiasm, competitiveness, sportsmanship, indomitable spirit, dog care and willingness to share the sport with young mushers. To be like Herbie is a real compliment. Matthew received a Northern Air Cargo Jacket with $1,049 dollars in pocket change.
Pippiroo

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:09 pm

Thank you Pip for posting that info.

Moose and I met Matt and his then fiancée at the New England Sled Dog Trade Fair a few years ago.
We were so impressed by the both of them, I'm happy to see him get recognition for the good he does.
fladogfan

Postby fladogfan » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:20 pm

Thanks go to Pip for sending me looking for Teri Hanke's reports.

https://iditarod.com/eye-on-the-trail-r ... al-awards/
fladogfan

Postby tanglefoot » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:14 am

flowerpower wrote:I'm bummed I missed chat. Remember when Tangles was our MC and we gave out our own "awards"? Fun! :D :D :D

Hahahaha that was fun!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby fladogfan » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:03 am

ITC has finally put up the video of the Finishers' Banquet. I think you need to be an Insider to watch it tho :(
fladogfan

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk