"Musher's eye" view of All Alaska Sweepstakes

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

"Musher's eye" view of All Alaska Sweepstakes

Postby glengarrian » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:42 pm

I thought it might be nice to give some concept of the terrain on other sections of trail besides what's provided in the Nome Council Link. For those who don't have Google Earth I've attached are a couple of screen shots from Google Earth giving a "musher's eye" view of the terrain.

As you can see from the eye altitude, at bottom left in the screenshots, the virtual musher is pretty tall :)
They aren't kidding about the area being remote and, judging from the terrain, windswept.
Above Telephone.jpg
Haven to Telephone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by glengarrian on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glengarrian

Re: "Musher's eye" view.

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:49 pm

good work G! amazing shots your working ahrd, maybe the AASS would like to add your work to the site? have you mentioned it to them yet?

can you post a link to it so i can let the idita-support gang take a look too?

tangles
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Heidi » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:03 pm

The link for pictures (and info) of the area between Nome and Council is http://www.ldgo.columbia.edu/~cullat/AK/. (Thanks glengarrian for the link!)

The screenshots he posted are from Google Earth.
Heidi

Postby glengarrian » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:10 pm

Thanks Tanglefoot. Umm their on my hard drive. I don't have a website. They could look at them on this forum. It'd work for me. I have several other shots I'll put up, on this thread.
As I've said before the trail I've outlined is just an approximation. This of course doesn't detract from the usefulness of the screen shots as representative of the general terrain. I keep checking around for more information on the lay of the trail but not finding a lot. I did find a chapter in a book written during the WWI. The Land of Tomorrow By William B. Stephenson, Chapter 10 talks about the AAK S. Quite interesting though there may be some hyperbole. He talks of places on the trail where the ridge top is slightly wider than the sled. Well a trail does run eaast of council along the top of Melsing Cr. Divide. The ridge top looks like it could easily be described that way by an enthusiastic reporter. But to go that way doesn't fit the mileages. I'll post a link to the book on the "link" thread. The book is online.
I was going to go look at King's blog to see if he had any thing in his report from the snowmobile run. Then I saw your post . . .
glengarrian

Postby glengarrian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:29 am

Well, Tangles, don't I feel silly :oops: All I have to do is post the .kmz file with map and Placemarks to the Google Earth bbs.
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0

So I did. Look in Sports and Hobbies for subject "All Alaska Sweepstakes sled dog race". Pretty creative subject line that, eh?)
You do have to go to the Google Earth site and download the program but it is a freebie. It's not a real resource hog though I admit it has a reputation for being sloow on dial-up, unfortunately.
Anyway have a look see what you think.
Note to anyone who does use the file on GE. I found I had to double click two or three times for some of the musher view placemarks to get to the display I'd set up. Also clicking on the placemark in the map works much better. Probably this is all due to the extremely horizontal slant I've put on the display. Enjoy.
glengarrian

Postby MotorWerk » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:28 pm

Cool shots.

Wouldn't it be cool with a 1st person Iditarod computer game?
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby glengarrian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:31 pm

More shots. This may be it. The Seward Peninsula has a lot of beautiful scenery but when captured in 3D simulation it begins to look repetitive. On the other hand I'm not the only one with GE. Someone else may well find stuff along the trail I didn't.
Anyway the screenshots.
Oops looks like three is max/ post.
Approach to Council.jpg
Climbing ridge E Telephone.jpg
Looking straight toward Candle.jpg
From a vantage point on top of the ridge line, N of Omilak Mtn, you can look northeast accross the western portion of Death Valley. Your line of sight is directed straight at Candle. But Candle is beyond the mounttains and the trail descends to the right and loops through Death Valley and Haven.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
glengarrian

Postby glengarrian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:42 pm

Three more shots.
View from Telephone toward Haven.jpg
Above Telephone.jpg
Approach Timber fr N.jpg
glengarrian

Postby glengarrian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:11 pm

And finally
Out of Topkok,headed for Timber.jpg
Near California Cr..jpg
Near Cumberland Cr..jpg
glengarrian

Postby glengarrian » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:20 pm

MotorWerk wrote:Cool shots.

Wouldn't it be cool with a 1st person Iditarod computer game?

I agree. Some people have done fly throughs. I attempted something like that in the Dalzell Gorge. It wasn't pretty. I have new and even greater respect for those who have to travel that for real.
I haven't explored the built-in options for such a production with the free edition. The Google Earth blog (by Google) has at least one video of a fly through.
glengarrian

Next

Return to Mushing Talk