"Mushing 101" Question

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: "Mushing 101" Question

Postby StarDancer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:11 pm

This is an "elapsed time" race, as there are no mandatory stops. The Leader Board spreadsheet does show elapsed time, therefore the time differentials are irrelevant. Taking out the timing difference is a common rookie timing error. I should know - I did it! I was the Official Timer for the Cascade Quest Sled Dog Races at the beginning of February. As I calculated the times for the mushers on the first day, I diligently removed the 2 minute time differentials from all the mushers, just like they do in the Iditarod. It was very kindly and gently explained to me that was in error and that the times are elapsed. :oops: :oops: The corrected results changed the ranking of 3 mushers. :oops: :oops: Fortunately, they all thought it was funny and we had a good laugh at my expense. I got everything correct for the remaining two days. Mushers are the BEST people!
StarDancer

Postby Daphne in Alberta » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:52 pm

Thank you StarDancer, that actually simplifies everything. :)
Daphne in Alberta

Postby dilli » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:26 pm

OK .. this should end the confusion about the time differential once and for all. :D

Just posted on Josh's iditablog along with other updates:

http://www.iditablog.com/
There have been some questions about how exactly the mushers make up the time difference between themselves. In Iditarod, this is made up at the 24-hour layover checkpoint, and the earlier a musher left the starting line, the more time they have to make up in the middle of the race….. Since there are no mandatory layovers in this race, there is one secret checkpoint where the time will be made up. The only person right now who knows where that checkpoint will be, is the Lead Judge - Al Crane. Speaking with the Race Director a few days ago, he admitted that even he had no idea where this was going to be. The only information that I can give is what I’ve heard on the public ham airwaves….and there is a small chance that it could be a clue on where the only mandatory layover will be. I heard that Judge Al Crane flew out of Nome early this afternoon to check on the trail and soon after popped up on the ham in the checkpoint of Boston. That would be over halfway on the trail, if you’re guessing….could be a good place to do a stop like this.
We've got treats
dilli

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:45 pm

intreaguing...we need code on this one...where is code breaker anyway anyone seen him?
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby libby the lab » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:58 pm

Boston on the way out? If so it has already happened? Wow what did I start here??
Cindy, Libby and Hank
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby dilli » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:06 pm

HAHAHA ..
Josh has updated his iditablog again .. a must read as it addresses yet another rumored rule change to the historic rules regarding the 24 hour wait to declare a winner.

Sorry to bear annoying tidings, but the time differential issue has not been resolved once and for all, but confusion has resurrected yet again. :roll:

http://www.iditablog.com/ ---> The Correction blog post

Let's hope Josh can get a clarification statement from Dr Phil when he interviews him.
We've got treats
dilli

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:01 pm

dilli...
Thats how I understood it from the beginning..."there is one secret checkpoint where the time will be made up"

hmmm time will tell...

GoLanceGo....rollin' rollin' rollin'.

daniel
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:25 am

bet the secret is there is no secret adn they will adjust the times..72 hours after the race haha...alot of miss information and confusion out there...just like the old days!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby dilli » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:32 am

The intrigue, the mystery, the plot thickens .. :shock:
WOW .. lots of stuff has happened overnight. Wish I didn't need to take my own self-enforced mandatories to catch a few ZZZZs. :lol:

A glorious brand new day to BSSD sled dog fans around the globe
*incoming fresh brewed pot of inoculatte and cinnamon rolls *

I just finished carefully listening to Josh's interview with Dr Phil , the AAS race director .. wow .. this interview is chock full of fascinating info .. it's a crucial must-listen-to podcast in my humble opinion.
One of the topics Josh brought up (thanks Josh!) and Dr Phil addressed is the time differential confusion. Dr Phil confirmed the matter was discussed in the closed meeting, the discussion was passionate .. However ..
Dr Phil had to leave the closed meeting at some point to tend to another pressing matter. He was not present when the final historic time differential rule decision was made (wouldn't be applied in 2008). Dr Phil and the head Race Judge have not met and conferred about the time differential situation. This is where things get interesting for avid AAS race history buffs ..

Dr Phil stated that he and the head Race Judge will be meeting and conferring soon. He stated that the AAS historic rules are subject to interpretation .. and that there is still the possibility within the flexibility and spirit of the rules interpretations that a time differential adjustment can *potentially* still be applied at any time at any checkpoint of the head race judge's choosing. Still with me? LOL

Bottom line .. the head race judge can still overrride the decision reached during the closed meeting with the mushers .. it is entirely up to the head judge's discretion .. he has, IF I understand Dr Phil correctly, the discretionary flexibility and authority to apply the historic time differential rule even at this stage of the race .. Dr Phil also said he and others were working on press releases that would clarify some race related matters.
More to be revealed .. my brain is spinning :lol:
We've got treats
dilli

Postby Breeze » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:52 am

Good morning dilli!

thanks for coffee and cinnamon rolls!

My first stop this morning was Josh Rogers. Holy Moley! Not only the time differential on the chopping block ( maybe) but also the waiting period in Nome (24 hours after the first 3 finishers) to declare the winner ( maybe).

We knew it was going to be a slug-fest but my brain is spinning ,too. What other rules are just so many snowflakes waiting to be blown off into the Great White North?

Thats overstatement on my part, for sure, but it is unsettling.

Will be a long day for me at work, waiting to get home to catch up!

breeze
Breeze

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk