Amundsen race

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Amundsen race

Postby aren » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:08 am

Talking about the Cubs. I just found a long article in one of our national newspapers about the Cubs and their long years of suffering since they won the world series for the last time in 1908.
Have a look at the article, it in norwegian ofcorse, but here is the link anyways http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/sport ... 345290.ece
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Heidi » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:06 pm

MelanieGouldFanBrian wrote:A Cubs fan? :o you're killing me. :o An ex-South Suburban Chicago boy and lifelong White Sox fan am I.

An ex-North Suburban Chicago girl and lifelong Chicago Cubs fan am I. ;) :D :D

I love the Cubbies! Have been to Mesa for spring training and was in Florida for the playoffs (and another painful ending) in 2003.

Of course our long years of suffering finally came to an end in 2005! Perhaps . . . someday. . . maybe . . . Cubs fans too will have the opportunity to feel that joy. Not too soon mind you, because we South Siders are still basking in that 2005 glory, and are loathe to give it up to our North side Brethern.

Shhhhh..don't tell my fellow Cubs fans, but I was happy the White Sox won in '05. Ot at least I was happy they beat the Astros. My enthusiasm didn't quite extend so far as to go to a playoff game, but I was happy they won.

How did a nice girl from Texas get mixed up with the Cubbies anyway?

I was born and grew up in the NW suburbs and was going to Cubs games as an infant - it's all I ever knew. I think I was 15 years old before I knew there was another team down south. ;) :D :lol:

Well, I see we're both off to great starts this year so far huh? :cry:

Yeah, I've noticed. :( But it's still early. :)

Keep the faith Heidi!

Oh, I haven't given up yet. :D :D
Heidi

Postby Heidi » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:09 pm

aren wrote:Talking about the Cubs. I just found a long article in one of our national newspapers about the Cubs and their long years of suffering since they won the world series for the last time in 1908.

Thanks aren. I used to have a t-shirt (before I wore it out) that said "Chicago Cubs - 1908 World Champions". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Heidi

Postby alpenglow » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Aren, articles about the Cubs on the norwegian paper?
Wow...I guess you guys are on top of it all!!!
I knew dog sleding and cross country skiing were big over there, but I got a kick out of this one :P
alpenglow

Postby MotorWerk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:34 am

Heh. Last year there was an article in a Norwegian paper about how crap Pirates was. :D

A sports channel, SportN, had the broadcasting rights for MLB two years ago, unfortunately they didn't renew. Too few were watching I guess, which isn't strange since the games were on in the middle of the night. I think Canal+ have the rights now, but I haven't got that channel.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby fladogfan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:21 am

Breeze wrote:
fladogfan wrote::lol: :lol: Moose, if he said, 'just don't call me Sue', that I would have gotten :lol: :lol: Johnny Cash fan here :D

Groaner from here, for sure.

Of course, my real name is Sue, and Johnny Cash jokes became unfunny to me about the time I first needed " lingerie " in my wardrobe, and that was longer ago than I care to address.

If I had just a nickel for every time I've been hit with the Johnny Cash line, I'd have no retirement worry. Can I count this as a new "hit"? Can I still file for royalties?

All in good fun, folks. All in good fun. We can pull each others' legs and have a good time in the process.

In reality, I've just come back to BSSD from the Gere/Donovan Iditarod forum.

Never have I felt so blessed to share a home and hearth with like minded individuals.

Breeze

Oh Breeze/Sue sorry :( Never thought that a girl named Sue would be teased, but kids will use anything to pick at each other :roll: The pastor we have now is called Willie, because when the 'Flintstones' first started showing on TV her real name of Wilma became an unending joke, that she did not appreciate. Willie was still in school at the time.

Do unintended 'hits' still cost a nickle :lol: :lol: :?: :?:

I thought in off season I'd go read Iditarod forum, but when I try, I've found it hard to keep on reading, too many unkind things being said there (in my way of thinking, anyway)

I should send the $.05 to.............????????????? ;) :lol: :lol:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby fladogfan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:57 am

Di* wrote:
fladogfan wrote:Was it oddjob who was going on a cruse out of south Fl. ? Don't remember when tho.

No FDF it wasn't Oddjob but Luna...

btw fladogfan, how is Florida in May. Going to Miami for a couple of days before a cruise.
Hopefully the hurrycane season is over?"

quote]

Florida in May ?? HOT or at least the beginning of hot, high in the 90s, and scattered thunder storms, of course that could be subject to change as we are also in the drought afflicting the southeast. Hurricane season starts in June, I think, but they (hurricanes) don't have a calendar so ??? You'll probably be OK. Also, I think the cruise lines keep tabs on weather and will steer clear of the bad stuff.

I seldom see temps over 100 in Fl. It's a humid state which is good for plants and human skin :lol: Be sure to bring sunscreen and a hat to shade as much of you as possible. Long sleeves are good too, light weight shirt or slather on the sunscreen. Don't know how nights are at sea, most likely warm that time of year. But sun and sea can burn skin.

I was told about and have tried vinegar on burned skin. It did help :)

Fl. is a very long state. Miami is a 4-5 hour drive from Orlando, their weather can be different, and they are on the coast with benifits of the sea breeze. Hope you have a great time. Are you stopping in Jamaica? Seeing the Sun Dog team ??
:D :D
fladogfan

Postby DustMusher » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:35 am

mira wrote:
fladogfan wrote:( And about english, I wrote my master thesis in 'english' and my supervisor/professor tried to correct my english several times because I tried to use british english not us english (or whatever that is called). You know, bisquits, colour, a lot of ise instead of ize and so on :) And about norskies and english, I started to learn English in school at age of 10 (and I hated it.. it's one of the lessons I really hated in school...) I think they start even earlier now, but this has been mentioned before :D

LOL America and the UK

Two countries separated by a common language.

DM
And I will be your guide beneath these Northern Lights
And you will be my shadow on the snow.
Husky's Code by Kyf Brewer
DustMusher

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:09 pm

Hey Heidi:
I guess if anybody can get the Cubs motivated it should be Lou Piniella. And wouldn't a World Series between the Sox and Cubs be GREAT. I'd even go back to Chicago for that I think. I believe my folks would let me stay in my old room for a week or so. Take the I.C. (oops, now the Metra) up to the loop, then catch the Lake Street El train going back down to 35th Street, just like I used to do every Sox opening day when I was in High School. Never let it be said that a school day ever prevented me from being at Comiskey Park (God rest her soul) for opening day, 1973-76! :D
I see we're both doing better this week!
Brian
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Heidi » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:41 am

MGFB:

I'd LOVE a cross-town World Series! I loved reading your recollection of going to a Sox game. I lived in the NW suburbs but would usually drive into Chicago and park at my grandparents' house and take the bus and El from there. Good times, good memories. Going to watch the Cubs play at Reliant Stadium in Houston just does not match up. :(

Btw, my fav player ever is Ryne Sandberg and I own almost every baseball card with his picture on it including his rookie cards! :D :D

Okay, so back to the Amundsen race...where were we again? ;) :lol: :lol:
Heidi

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk