AAS- Time Differential- Rule Clarification- Help!

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

AAS- Time Differential- Rule Clarification- Help!

Postby Iditafanatic » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:32 am

Like everyone else on this forum, I am a huge sled dog racing fan. I've been so excited about the Sweepstakes since they announced it last year, and have been glued to my computer for a couple of days now trying to follow this amazing race. I definitely want to give a "shout out" to Josh Rogers for his amazing blog and podcasts -- without him, all we could do would be to keep checking the leaderboard. BTW -- Josh is my nominee for vice president -- just think -- a Russ/Josh ticket might be unstoppable! :D

Sorry to get off track -- but I do have a question about the "time differential rule" that hasn't been fully answered, and I wonder if anyone can help.

I listened to Josh's podcast from the interview he did last night with the Race Director. Dr. Schobert did not make it clear one way or another whether the mushers would be making up the time differential -- he actually made it sound like it hadn't been decided yet, but maybe he just didn't know or didn't want to say. I was definitely surprised to hear that the Race Director was not present for the full Musher's Meeting -- especially if race rules were being changed...

I understand that all rules are "subject to interpretation", and I appreciate that this is an historic event -- but with mushers on the trail, less than an hour apart, less than a day from the finish line, I can't believe that the Sweepstakes hasn't put anything on their website about the rule change that supposedly occurred at the Musher's Meeting.

When I called HQ at the Mini about the differentials yesterday (Thursday), a very nice volunteer told me that they "didn't want to get bogged down with technicalities like time differentials... that the mushers agreed to the rule change so that nothing would interfere with the pomp and circumstance (her words) of the finish in Nome..." On the other hand, there have also been reports that there was "heated debate" at the mushers meeting over last minute rule changes.

There is a LOT at stake in this race -- and it seems to me that secret, last minute or mid-race rule changes can only lead to the race results getting bogged down in a controversial mess. At this point, it seems they can only hope that the final order of finish wouldn't be affected by the differentials one way or another.

Is there any way that anyone can get word from the Head Judge as to what is going on?
Iditafanatic

Re: AAS- Time Differential- Rule Clarification- Help!

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:47 am

Good question Iditafan!
I would think if Josh can't get to the bottom of it, there isn't much hope for anyone else to. Seems kinda like an "old boys" club where they keep everything close to their vests, not willing to share much info...guess we will find out in a 1/2day or so, however long it takes to finish this baby! :D
Di*

Postby Breeze » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:53 pm

I have nothing concrete to offer, as nothing is coming out of the AAS.

I made a comment on another thread that the AAS race committee is looking like a cartoon GARFIELD " I resemble that remark" about a slugfest.

I'm sorry to see this play out in that fashion, the historic significance of the race is, in my mind, bound to some adherence with the historic rules. If the drivers want a slug fest, ( seems they do) OK.. HAVE A Shoot OUT at the OK Corral, but distance yourselves from the historical significance of the AAS.

This AAS is looking more and more to me like Walmart, with rollbacks everyday.

Just my humble OT opinion, and TRULY I do know that the mushers out there don't share my thinking. For them , it is part of their personal best.

It just looks different to them.

GO DAWGS GO and ally ally come IN SAFE!

BREEZE
Breeze

Postby Iditafanatic » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:08 pm

Okay, so now -- this late in the race -- there's NO WAY they can go back on the rules set at the musher's meeting.

So I am assuming no time differentials will be made up. Let's all hope (pray?) that the differentials won't make a difference in placements.

I am still curious -- what was so important to keep the Race Director, Dr. Phil, from the Musher's Meeting -- and WHY has there been no statement about the rule change on the website?

There has been no word from anyone "official" since last night, when Dr. Phil said he had to go attend to banquet preparations... surely the rules are more important than the menu or the centerpieces!
Iditafanatic

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:26 pm

Just read on IditaSupport that they are going to adjust times after everyone is in? Not sure where they got that info but sounded legit...anyone else heard this?
Di*

Postby sugarriver » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:30 pm

There's a thread just started by iditafanatic that has an explanation and a link?
How do you tell the difference between a plumber and a chemist? Ask them to pronounce unionized. -
sugarriver

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:35 pm

Thanks sugar, just read that! :shock:
Di*

Postby iditablog » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Just a real quick point of clarification..... Al told Phil that he didn't need to attend. He said this was a meeting between mushers and the judges. Crane has been quick to point out that when it comes to the trail and its rules..... thats the territory of the lead judge.
iditablog

Return to Mushing Talk