CONGRATS MITCH SEAVEY, winner of 2008 All Alaska Sweepstakes

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: CONGRATS MITCH SEAVEY, winner of 2008 All Alaska Sweepstakes

Postby StarDancer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Here's how I calculated my guess of 63 hrs, 51 minutes. This is from a PM to TSFR. " I just edited my Top 5 Picks and posted my guess at a winning time. Not sure if it made it in time for your deadline, but here it is: 63 hours 51 minutes. Here's my logic (????). Rick Mackey (hey! Mackey!!) won the 1983 Iditarod in 12 d, 14 hr, 10 min. Lance Mackey won the 2008 Iditarod in 9 d, 11 hr, 46 min. That works out to 75.378% of the 1983 time. Rick Swenson won the 1983 AAS in 84 hr, 42 min. Reducing that by 75.378% comes out to 63 hours, 51 minutes. Basically, I'm betting that technology and faster dogs will overcome warmer weather, as has happened in the Iditarod. Hey - that's my story and I'm sticking with it!!"

When I did my calculations, I considered using Buser's record Iditarod 2002 time of 8 d, 22 hr, 46 min. Doing the above calculations comes up with Buser's time being 71.076% of (Rick) Mackey's 1983 Iditarod win. Reducing the 1983 AAS winning time by 71.076% would have given me an estimate for the 2008 AAS of 60 hrs, 12 minutes. That would have only been 55 minutes off the actual time!

Sigh......I'm an accountant and I really like messing around with numbers..... Now if I could only get my TTP and T5P in the right order!!
StarDancer

Re: CONGRATS MITCH SEAVEY, winner of 2008 All Alaska Sweepstakes

Postby Moose » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:03 pm

Wow, Star! :D That sort of puts my roll of the Yatze dice to shame. :oops: I guess that's why you came closest! Next time I turn that part of the exercise over to my DH who also likes messing around with numbers. ;)

Thanks for the link, Dilli. It's pretty cool that all those teams broke the record.

FP, we fell into the same poor trail conditions trap. :cry:
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk