Oh No! Another Snow Machine Accident

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Oh No! Another Snow Machine Accident

Postby CynCyn37 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:51 pm

From Josh's Iditablog:

There is a tradgic story coming out about Mackey’s team being hit by a snowmachine outside of Cape Nome…. details are sketchy right now and I’ll try and get a complete story to post as soon as possible, we should be talking to Lance very soon.

Please, please let everyone and everypup be OK. (Praying now)
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Re: Oh No! Another Snow Machine Accident

Postby flowerpower » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:27 pm

:shock: I hope everyone is alright! Fingers and toes crossed. I can't find any info anywhere, and I have trolled everyplace I can think of. Should we phone Nome?
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Jan » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:37 pm

Post from another group forum re the accident with Lance's team --

"Since Lance has now gone public on KNOM radio, I feel compelled to
ask you all to keep Lance and Zorro in your prayers.
Last night near the Cape Nome roadhouse, Lance was hit by a snow
machine. The machine was traveling at a high rate of speed behind
Lance. Lance flashed his lights at the driver, but it didn't seem to
matter. Lance jumped from the sled just before the snow machine hit
the sled from the rear. The machine was lodged into the sled and the
bag that was holding Zorro. The driver appeared to have been
drinking. Lance helped get the snow machine off his sled and to get
to Zorro. He appeared OK. However, after spending the night in
Lance's bedroom, vets were called in to check him again. They found
broken ribs. Hopefully, a lung has not been punctured. Zorro has been
flown to Anchorage for medical attention. Lance does not hold the
race responsible and has not filed any complaints. He has however,
asked for the driver to step forward and publicly apologize. His vet
bills are already over $1000 just to move Zorro to Anchorage. Three
other dogs may also have some injuries, but none appear life
threatening."
Jan

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:44 pm

Oh poor Zorro, poor Lance, that's one of his "special babies"........ :(
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby CynCyn37 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:48 pm

I hope everything works out for Zorro! Poor Lance and Zorro. Thanks for sharing the info Jan!

Snowmachines are dangerous vehicles....
CynCyn37

Postby aren » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:49 pm

No no no no.... not another accident. I do hope Zorro will recover 100%. He will be in my prayers. Lets all hope that the other dogs are unharmed.

Why can't these snowmachine drivers drive like normal people and not like they have stolen the vehicle. Haven't anyone taught these people to drive carefully and not when influenced by alcohol. I'm just sad :( :( :( :(
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Heidi » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:54 pm

This is horrific! :shock: My heart goes out to Lance and I hope Zorro will be okay.

What is with it with these snowmachines? And if the guy was drinking, isn't that a criminal offense? He should be held responsible. Lance certainly shouldn't have to pay for the transportation for Zorro, vet bills, etc.

This is just so awful, but I'm relieved to know Zorro is in Anchorage where he can receive the best care.

Thanks for informing us cyccyn and jan.

:(
Heidi

Postby CynCyn37 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:06 pm

New info from Josh....

Some of the information for this report came from an interview that Lance did today with local radio station KNOM (from whom I’m trying to get permission to post audio online) and from Donna Quante:

Last night, on his way into the finish line, just minutes after leaving Safety.. right near the turn before Cape Nome, Lance Mackey was hit by a snow machine. The machine was traveling at a high rate of speed behind Lance. He flashed his lights and yelled at the driver, but says it didn’t seem to matter. Mackey jumped off the sled just before the snowmachine hit the sled from the rear and ran it over. The machine was lodged into the sled and in his sled bag was his dog Zorro who was sleeping. The first four dogs in his team were sucked under the sled as it flew forward 30 feet and they were scurring and trying to get out, the dog in his bag was trying to figure out what was going on. The snowmachine driver appeared to have been drinking, and was with another driver who assisted Lance in getting the machine off his sled and to get to the dog out. Lance said that Zorro, who was in the bag appeared at the time to ok, and the other four were “scared to death”.

After spending the night in Mackey’s bedroom, vets were called in to check Zorro again. They found broken ribs and are unsure about other injuries. Zorro has been flown to Anchorage for medical attention, and should be there now. His vet bills are already over $1000 just for the medivac to Anchorage, and Zorro has been on IVs, along with some pretty heavy medication. At this time Mackey says it does not look good. Other dogs may also have some injuries, but none appear life threatening. Lance does not hold the race responsible and has not filed any complaints, nor does he have hard feelings toward the snowmachine driver. Mackey has however, asked for the driver to step forward and publicly apologize. Lance also wants the public to know about this new issue in dog mushing. He isn’t anti-snowmachine (he admits to having a few of his own), but thinks that something has to be done, and it needs to be known that this is happening more and more. In this year’s mushing season alone atleast 3 incidents have been reported, and assuming that Zorro makes it, 2 of those have been deadly.

Zorro was one of Lance’s most famous dogs, and wanted to bring him on the All Alaska Sweepstakes as one final hurah, a historic dog participating in an historic race.

We’ll keep following this story as it develops.

I am so sad now. :cry:

Fight Zorro!
CynCyn37

Postby emwcee » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:10 pm

Oh, this is a tragedy. I'm just sick thinking about Zorro.
emwcee

Postby sugarriver » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:14 pm

How do you tell the difference between a plumber and a chemist? Ask them to pronounce unionized. -
sugarriver

Next

Return to Mushing Talk