Oh No! Another Snow Machine Accident

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Oh No! Another Snow Machine Accident

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:31 am

oh my god not another one! 2 in 2 races now something should be done about it!! this guy should appologise pubicaly and if he was drinking...then he should be treated accoringly by the authorities!

poor poor zorro i bet lance is beside himself with worry, zorro is his main stud dog and without him he wouldnt have a top team or top dogs, alot of his dogs have zorro blood in them in his kennels..please let him be ok! :cry: :cry:

sorry at work again and stop..be back on later,just wanted to add a post..
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:48 am

this just in..

newsminer.comThe voice of Interior Alaska since 1903

Home News
Today's News Local News Dermot Cole Public Safety Report Obituaries Alaska News Business Money & Markets ArcticCam Opinion
News-Miner Editorials Letters to the Editor Community Perspectives Editorial Cartoons Editoons by Eric Troyer Sports
Local Sports Yukon Quest Iditarod Features
Latitude 65 Sundays Outdoors Our Town Youth Faith Food Health Comics Games TV Listings Classifieds Bookstore Multimedia
Photos Photo Galleries Videos Audio Blogs
The editor's deskCapital FocusElection 2008Raeder of the Lost Blog

Login

Snowmachine injures dog in Mackey's Sweepstakes team
The Associated Press

Published Saturday, March 29, 2008

Print story
E-mail story
Comments Race UpdatesFor the latest updates see the official All Alaska Sweepstakes Web site. NOME -- A man on a snowmachine ran into the dog team driven by Yukon Quest and Iditarod champion Lance Mackey in the All Alaska Sweepstakes, seriously injuring a key animal in Mackey's kennel.

Mackey broke down in tears Saturday telling how a veteran race dog, Zorro, was injured as the animal rode in the sled's basket.

The snowmachine driver has not been identified.

The 408-mile All Alaska Sweepstakes is a race from Nome to tiny Candle and back. The race was first held 100 years ago. The winner-take-all first prize is $100,000.

Mackey, a Fairbanks musher, has won the 1,100-mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race between Anchorage and Nome and the 1,000-mile Yukon Quest between Fairbanks and Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, the last two years.

He was in third place in the Sweepstakes at around midnight Friday just 20 miles from the finish line when two snowmachines came up fast from behind.

"I was flashing them like mad with my headlamp," he said. "I was shining my headlamp right in his face, but they kept on coming at me. I jumped aside, and by 30 feet further up the trail, there was a snowmachine sitting on the middle of my sled."

The machine impaled the sled bag with its runners.

"Three or four dogs were sucked underneath and Zorro was trapped in the sled bag," Mackey said.

The accident happened several miles west of the Safety checkpoint. The driver who hit Mackey and his partner on the other machine helped Mackey right the mess, then left as Mackey continued on.

Mackey said his $3,000 sled, made by Canadian Hans Gatt, made it to Nome but was ruined. It was of no consequence compared to his dogs, he said.

"That's only material," he said. "I would give my life for my dogs. I can't make anyone know how important animals are to me."

By midday Saturday, Zorro was on a commercial flight to Pet Emergency, a veterinarian facility in Anchorage, for medical treatment. Zorro had broken ribs and perhaps internal injuries.

"If he lives, I don't think he is going to want to race to Nome again," Mackey said.

A team handler accompanied Zorro. Mackey remained in Nome with his team. Several other dogs had injuries, but they were not life threatening, Mackey said.

Mackey made a plea for race officials to keep snowmachines away from the trail at the end of the race, a growing safety issue.

"Running from Safety to Front Street is almost suicidal," Mackey said. "I almost got hit on the way into Nome during Iditarod and then was almost hit half an hour later."

Safety Roadhouse, about 22 miles east of Nome, operates as a bar during the race and attracts spectators on snowmachines. Mackey said he wanted to focus attention on trail safety.

The 9-year-old injured dog has been a star in the teams that won Alaska's two major long-distance races the last two years. Last year, Zorro became ill at White Mountain near the end of the Iditarod and did not get to finish the race.

Mackey contacted media in Nome on Saturday saying he wanted to give the snowmachine driver a chance to come forward "like a man and make it right."

"Just make it right. That's all I want. I don't bear him any ill will, but I want him to make it right."

He yelled at the snowmachine driver after the collision, Mackey said.

"I didn't give him a chance to say anything. I was saying things I wish now I hadn't said."

Zorro is the kennel's stud dog. If he dies, Mackey said, his future in sled dog racing is uncertain.

"My team's future, my personal future, my career, my whole life is in question," he told Nome Police Department officer Byron Redburn, who took a report in cooperation with Alaska State Troopers, who have jurisdiction.

Gregory Saclamana, a volunteer running the information line at All Alaska Sweepstakes headquarters in Nome, said race officials would not comment.

Mitch Seavey won the All Alaska Sweepstakes.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby flowerpower » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:51 am

Josh's blog says Zorro has broken ribs and a spinal column injury. He can't feel his back feet right now, they don't know if this is permanent, or due to the swelling in his spinal column.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Moose » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:57 am

The swelling could subside returning function to his legs--it happens. Fingers crossed for a full recovery. Positive and healing energies beaming out to Zorro.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby flowerpower » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:21 am

From Josh's blog:
This is the latest coming out of the crew in Anchorage:

The big injuries are 3 broken ribs, and possible damage to Zorro’s spinal cord. At this point Zorro can’t feel his back legs, but can feel his front paws. Doctors aren’t sure if this is due to a spinal injury which could be permanent, or feeling could come back if it was due to spinal swelling. As horrific as these injuries are, they don’t appear to be life threatening… he is being hydrated with IVs at this time.

I am hoping that because Z seemed OK initially it is due to swelling, not permanent damage. GOZORROGO! As best as I can tell, Braxton, Lance's handler, flew to Anchorage with Z, and Lance is still in Nome. Despite the accident, Lance still took an hour to pose for fans, because he didn't want them to be disappointed. Much more fortitude than I could have shown-I think I would have been a screaming lunatic at that point. GOLANCEGO!
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby aren » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:29 am

Zorro get well. Healing wibes coming your way. He will also stay in my prayers until he we know that he is recovering.

As for Lance..... he must have a terrible time now. Zorro being so special to him..... What a tragedy :cry: :cry:

I do hope the Nome police does something about this case. There is absolutely no excuse for drunk driving and no excuse for running into a dogteam like that :evil: :evil:
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby dilli » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:08 am

Have been horrified and heartbroken since the moment I heard about this, as are we all. Have been joining with all ,who are in a similar state of deep concern and distress, to support and surround Lance, Tonya, Team Comeback Kennels Zorro and the other 4 dogs who sustained less severe injuries with healing vibes and the power of love.

Keep relentlessly pouring it on, Iditabuddies.....
We've got treats
dilli

Postby emwcee » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:25 am

FDF, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the coverage of Lance coming into Unalakleet. I thought, "This just isn't right. Something should be done about all these snow machines following him in. It must be frightening for these dogs." I was really amazed that the dogs could keep their cool in the midst of all that.

Are there laws about drinking and driving these machines? Are they licensed? It seems there is no control. I personally can't understand why anyone would want to drink to excess for any reason, let alone why someone would go out and endanger others.

Iditabuddies, I think we should show our support to Lance and encourge him at this time. Tell him not to give up. He's been such an example to others of overcoming adversity. This must be heartbreaking for him, and he needs our encouragement and prayers at this time.

Here is the e-mail and address I got from his website. I'm sure it goes to an agent first, but I still think it would be good to send him a note and hope it gets through:

mackeykennel@gmail.com

Mackey's Come Back Kennel
PO Box 10262
Fairbanks, Alaska 99710
emwcee

Postby Another UK Fan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:05 pm

This is aweful for everyone. Saying the prayers. Thanks for contact details emwcee.
Another UK Fan

Postby JeanieB » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:29 pm

Thanks for the email addy, EM. I just sent my get well wishes as well. It hurts my heart to think of the pain Lance is feeling, and I am angry that being able to enjoy and savor his incredible accomplishments this year have been tarnished in such a tragic way.
JeanieB
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk