Oh No! Another Snow Machine Accident

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Oh No! Another Snow Machine Accident

Postby flowerpower » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:26 pm

This is horrible! Last night before I got bumped off KICY I remember Josh said something about the amount of snowmobile traffic that was on the road while Mitch and Jeff were coming and I thought "hope there is not another accident". Lance must be so angry and worried, and poor Zorro. What a tough time that poor baby has had. Here's hoping he comes through it and enjoys long life as Mr. Stud in Lance's kennel. GOZORROGO!
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:36 pm

During the Iditarod, while watching Jeff, then Lance come into Unalakleet, I was surprised to see so many snow machines driving so near to the teams. It looked dangerous then, looked like the dogs took them in stride. But still seemed scary to me. AND DANGEROUS :evil:
Is there anyway to regulate the drivers to make lives safer?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby flowerpower » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:38 pm

And why in the world could the vets not tell last night that the poor dog had broken ribs? I would think it wouldn't be that hard to tell. Oh, I am just soooo upset! :evil: :evil: :cry:
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Moose » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:00 pm

I don't get it. This happened before Lance finished in third place? Was Zorro in harness or in the bag? Was the sled damaged? What was the condition of the other four injured dogs?

So sad. These snowmobile-dog team accidents can be avoided. They just shouldn't happen. They just shouldn't happen. :cry:

Best wishes to Zorro, his teammates, and Lance.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Minipins444 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:07 pm

Prayers are with Zorro and Lance

here is another interview
http://www.fortmilltimes.com/124/story/116914.html
Minipins444

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:08 pm

Try this Moose

http://www.iditablog.com/

A preventable wreck, I refuse to call it an accident! :evil: :x :(
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Heidi » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:37 pm

Moose wrote:This happened before Lance finished in third place? Was Zorro in harness or in the bag?

Zorro had been slowing the team down and that's why they'd fallen behind. Zorro was in the bag when it happened, but Lance thought he was okay at first.

What was the condition of the other four injured dogs?

From iditablog.com: "Other dogs may also have some injuries, but none appear life threatening."

So sad. These snowmobile-dog team accidents can be avoided. They just shouldn't happen. They just shouldn't happen.

I agree something has to be done. Not sure what, but something.
Heidi

Postby Jan » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:58 pm

Here's a link to story in Fairbanks paper about the incident --

http://newsminer.com/news/2008/mar/29/s ... akes-team/
Jan

Postby Di* » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:09 pm

I think all the mushers need to carry paint ball guns and blast the "drivers" if they are too close or of course if they cause an accident. Then they couldn't disapeer into the night unscathed leaving all responsibility behind! :evil:
Di*

Postby flowerpower » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:17 pm

This just up on the KTUU site, lets hope and pray Nordman knows what he is talking about.

"He is hoping the snowmobiler involved would step up and talk to him -- not out to hang out to dry but just wants to know what happened," said Mark Nordman, a race judge.

Nordman said from what he's heard he does not believe Zorro's injuries appear to be life threatening.

flowerpower

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk