Zorro Update

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Zorro Update

Postby flowerpower » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:06 pm

Just read that, too! HOORAY and GOZORROGO!

however, will be continuing the relentless, incessant healing vibes and feel the love dance for Zorro, Aries and all pupsters who are hurting

You said it, Dilli!
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby StarDancer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:06 pm

From KTUU Click here: KTUU.com | Alaska's news and information source | Injured Mackey dog Zorro in Tacoma for treatment
StarDancer

Postby Sady » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:09 pm

PTL! It is so good to see this most recent update on Zorro. Many prayers for Zorro's complete healing, healing for the other injured dogs, and the Mackey family.
Sady

Postby carolynh » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:33 pm

I sure hope this latest information turns out to be correct. Poor Zorro, that boy has been through so much.

Carolyn H.
carolynh

Postby Daphne in Alberta » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:19 pm

stressing that the man who hit his team was extremely upset and remorseful about the accident. Lance has no intention of either pressing charges on him or releasing his identity, as Lance didn’t want public condemnation of the man to continue.

Just interested to know how most of you feel about this.
I commend Lance for his forbearance but does this not send out a wrong message? (You might or might not have to pay for the damages but there will be no other repercussions). If you have a well lined pocket it is no deterrant at all is it? It's not like this has never happened before. Someone's dog was killed in the Iditarod was it not??
I accept that the person is filled with remorse and I don't want to sound harsh but I really feel that justice needs to be done and to be seen to be done. The snow machiners appear to be getting out of hand and nothing much done about it.
The mushers, sleds and dog harnesses are going to have to be covered with reflective tape and I can see the mushers wearing helmets with a revolving red and blue light on top. :lol: :lol: On second thoughts perhaps this would keep the drunken snow machiners away - they would think it was a cruiser. :lol: :lol:
Daphne in Alberta

Postby MotorWerk » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:30 pm

Of course he is upset and remorseful, he doesn't want to appear like a total moron. But that doesn't mean he should be getting away with it. I'd press charges, no doubt about it.

In my opinion the fact that he is getting away with it somewhat cheapens the life of a canine.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:32 pm

Jan wrote:Just got this in email from another forum - good news!!

Update on injured dog, "Zorro"
> Nome, Alaska - 3/31/2008 11am
> Just a few minutes ago we got a report on Zorro's condition. He has been
> examined by a veterinary neurologist in Seattle and completed an MRI to
> fully evaluate his spine. The results suggest that despite significant
> trauma to Zorro's chest and spine, he is expected to achieve a full
> recovery over time without surgical intervention.

Jan Thanks a million for sharing this super, great news. Zorro's clearly still got a long way to go, but this is the best news yet.

Sure we'll keep supplicating, doing the healing dance, lighting candles, sending the love.
Another UK Fan

Postby aren » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:37 pm

Thanks jan for shearing ! So glad to hear these good good good news about Zorro :D :D :D
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby JerseyGirl » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:11 pm

I'm very glad to hear today's optimistic report about Zorro, and hope to keep hearing more good news. I do hope that there will be a good solution to making the mushers and teams more visible without affecting their night vision, and I certainly hope we have heard the last of the heartbreaking reports of injuries to the dogs. With the freedoms folks have now to get to the remote places and trails the races follow, also comes a responsibility not to interfere or injure others.
JerseyGirl
JerseyGirl

Location: New Jersey in my heart, Tennessee with our grandchildren

Postby flowerpower » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:22 pm

from adn:
Zorro will live to breed again.That was the word today on the condition of the 9-year-old champion sled dog and key stud of Lance Mackey, injured when hit by a snowmachine near Nome early Saturday morning.

Mackey said Zorro was asleep in his sled's bag with the team heading toward the finish line of the All Alaska Sweepstakes when a snowmobile sped out of the dark and slammed into the sled and the dogs. The dogsled was driven forward, and several dogs were knocked off their feet, but none appeared to be seriously injured.

Mackey thought Zorro was fine, too; but the dog stiffened up during the night in Nome and couldn't walk. Zorro was airlifted to Anchorage for examination. Worried about a possibly serious spinal injury, veterinarians sent him on to Seattle for an MRI.

There were fears emergency spinal surgery might be necessary, according to Donna Quante of Husky Productions, a Mackey team sponsor. But indications now are that though there appears to have been nerve damage, Zorro should be OK.

"It could (however) take six to 8 months for the nerve damage to heal," she said today.

The Mackeys -- two-time Iditarod Sled Dog Race champion Lance and wife, Tonya -- have already spent thousands on treatment for Zorro. They are accepting donations for veterinary care to cover continued and growing expenses. Details are available at http://www.mackeyscomebackkennel.com.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk