Iditabuddy LIVE get together?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Iditabuddy LIVE get together?

Postby flowerpower » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:24 am

Tons of fun stuff to do in both San Antonio and Austin. SA has the Spanish history-the old missions from the 1700's, and of course the Alamo!The Riverwalk is very pretty, with lots of shopping and restaraunts.

The River Walk or Paseo del Rio, with its undergrowth of flowering shrubs, tropical foliage palms and bananas, and giant cypress trees, meanders for miles on the banks of the San Antonio River, one level below the busy downtown. It was here on the banks that the native Payaya tribe camped in the late 1600s, followed by the enterprising Spaniards who established a chain of five missions.

Whereas many cities have fallen prey to the bulldozer and modern architecture, San Antonio has wisely preserved the old and blended in the modern. This uniqueness is most evident when exploring The River Walk — a tour with a mix of impressionism, Spanish mission, modernism, romanticism, Texas ranch culture, avant-garde, and Mexican themes. It is a perfect mesh of Old World and New world in food, architecture, music, dance and art. Today's River Walk is a rich varied palette of popular hotels, sidewalk cafes and restaurants, art galleries, gift shops and boutiques, live music, a flotilla of touring riverboats, theater, and history.

The Latin flavor predominates along the river. During the summer at Arneson River Theater, there is local Hispanic entertainment each evening starting at 8:30 p.m. This outdoor theater is unique with the performing stage separated from the audience by the river. Summer performances include Spanish music, mariachis, Mexican folkloric dance, Spanish dances, and the flamenco guitar.

Throughout the meandering course of The River Walk, arching walkways cross from one side to the other. Recently, the river was extended with a new arm flowing into the horseshoe-shaped, three-level Rivercenter. It is a glitzy regional shopping center that includes a dining and entertainment complex, and a six-story IMAX Theater screen. "The Alamo...the price of freedom" is shown daily, along with other features, just a cannon shot away from the Alamo itself.

Hemisfair Park And La Villita

Short walking trips from the river will lead one to Hemisfair Park and La Villita Village. Hemisfair, a ninety-two acre plaza, was the site for the World's Fair and 250th anniversary of San Antonio in 1968. Kids will love Hemisfair Park with its lovely waterfalls, ponds and playground. The toadstool-like Tower of the Americas is the focal point of Hemisfair, rising 750 feet into the San Antonio skyline. A revolving restaurant at the top makes a 360-degree turn each hour offering an impressive sunset and romantic evening view. A must-see at Hemisfair is the highly acclaimed Institute of Texas Cultures. There is no finer example of Texas' spirit than this.
La Villita is a replica of a quaint, cobblestone village in Old Mexico. It can be easily accessed from the River Walk at Arneson Theatre. Mornings are quiet here, a great place for coffee or tea. Take time to browse through one of its many galleries and gift shops. Every spring La Villita is the scene of "A Night in Old San Antonio," the most popular event during Fiesta.

Here are some links:http://www.highonadventure.com/Hoa00jun/Sananton/sananton.htm
http://www.fodors.com/world/north%20america/usa/texas/san%20antonio/

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby CynCyn37 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:54 am

Or we could all just sell our homes or cars and have a get together at the picnic! hahahahahahaha
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:31 am

so thats two quests two iditarods and a sweepstakes away from me...hmm well suppose if lance can do it.........haha...anyone got a few spare thousand $around as team norway and team tangles and team tiara can make it over?
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Heidi » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:17 am

This is a bit too far off for me to commit, but to anyone considering going, I will say that there's no better place in Texas to vacation than the San Antonio/Austin/Hill Country area of Texas. Great for couples, great for families - the area has everything going for it. :)
Heidi

Postby DustMusher » Thu May 15, 2008 8:27 am

Just a quick note -- I did not flake out on the Texas get to gether -- at least not on purpose...I still love the idea, however April 30 I had a failrly major heart attack. I am just now getting back to speed on the internet -- have not done too much the last 2 weeks but recover from the 2 stents I am now carrying and regaining my strength. At least now I am able to take care of me and the dogs--major step forward!

Feels like recovering from the worse case of flu you can imagine...weak as a kitten and brain that just wouldn't stay on track for more than a few minutes.

I would still love to have some sort of get together, bu there is no way I can get the whole thing organized....perhaps we could meet somewhere? I am open to any ideas -- heck I still could have it at my place, but a major party --- more like a pot luck.

DM
And I will be your guide beneath these Northern Lights
And you will be my shadow on the snow.
Husky's Code by Kyf Brewer
DustMusher

Postby aren » Thu May 15, 2008 3:43 pm

Sorry to hear about your heart problems Dustmusher, I really hope you will get well soon. Healing vibes coming your way....
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby CynCyn37 » Thu May 15, 2008 4:10 pm

Glad to see you back DustMusher! I am sorry you about your heartattack. Glad to know you are better. My thoughts are with you.
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby dilli » Thu May 15, 2008 5:01 pm

OMG (((Dustmusher))))

I'm so sorry to hear you have been so gravely ill but relieved that you are recovering so well from such a serious and scary health issue.
*incoming healing vibes* and Iditabuddy hugs and prayers
We've got treats
dilli

Postby Moose » Thu May 15, 2008 5:19 pm

Oooh, DustMusher! How awful. I hope you're soon back to 100%--or even better! Take care of yourself. Hug a pup...or a cat...or a horse if you've got 'em. Lots of good healing energy eminating there.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby emwcee » Thu May 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Dustmusher, I'm sorry to hear about your heart attack. Glad you're getting your strength back. Do they have you on a strict diet now? I swear by oatmeal, flax seed and almond butter, plus lots of fresh fruit and veggies, for heart health.

I don't think I'll be able to travel at that time. I was thinking that for those of us who can't make it, that maybe we could meet in the chat room on the day of the picnic I miss everyone!
emwcee

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk