Is it SPRING?? Or just April Fools Day?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Is it SPRING?? Or just April Fools Day?

Postby dilli » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:00 am

Spring is VERY late arriving at Dilliville this year. As I type, Northern Black Hills are getting hammered with late winter snowstorm and the central/eastern part of the state has a raging blizzard in progress. Hehheh .. the whole mess JUST missed Dilliville. Only got 3" and it quickly melted.

Usually by now, many species of migratory birds have arrived. None have as of yet. Very weird.

Like Tangle's weather .. it snows one day, melts the next, snows again etc. Am grateful because every drop of moisture is desperately needed after 7 years of severe drought.
Next week temps are forecast to suddenly soar in the 70's .. that ought to speed up the blooming and leafing dance a bit and make it a bit more hospitable for the tired, hungry migratory birds trying to reach their summer habitats.
We've got treats
dilli

Postby MotorWerk » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:15 am

Sunny, around 10-15C in the daytime, might touch frost during night. The birds are birding and the grass is greener. I'm considering starting spring cleaning this weekend, or I might not bother for a few weeks yet. The baseball mitt is newly oiled and life is sweet.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:14 am

way to go MW! you pitchin or hittin first!.............. :)
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby MotorWerk » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:32 am

I get to pitch first. I throw a wicked slider. :D :D

I haven't found my bat yet. In fact I haven't seen it since september... can't remember where I put it.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:13 pm

got mine in the dog truck. aims..swings, WHACK!...and it spins off towards the first plate
tanglefoot

Postby Coaster » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:31 pm

Spring has sprung here in southeastern Michigan. Last weekend was absolutely beautiful with temps. in the mid-60s F and sunny. Most of this week has been nice too. However, we are supposed to get thunderstorms and the temps. are going to drop back into the 40s F.
Coaster

Postby Heidi » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Di* wrote:What "off season mess with Russian crabbers"?

I just googled this...to my dismay. :( Ugh. I don't like what I read.

Seafood Currents article:
http://divcom-seafood.informz.net/admin31/content/template.asp?sid=5402&ptid=163&brandid=3138&uid=0&mi=217676

Seattle Times article:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004010523_crabsde13m.html

APRN podcast:
http://aprn.org/2007/11/15/sig-hansen-sells-russian-crab/

To read a press release put out by the Hansen family, go to the second post here:
http://www.tv.com/deadliest-catch/show/34348/major-northwestern-bombshell!/topic/15256-874640/msgs.html

New York Times article (This has nothing to do with the controversy, but it's a great article about Deadliest Catch):
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/06/arts/television/06mcgr.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=sig+hansen&st=nyt&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
Heidi

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:15 am

its spring and if your missing the racing season already heres a little ditty and video to keep you happy and singing along

http://web.mac.com/Macgellan/iWeb/Idita ... Trail.html
tanglefoot

Postby deafcat » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:13 pm

Hey Motor! I didn't know there was much baseball in Norway!!?? As I've said before, dog-sledding and baseball are the only team sports I follow... since moving to Fresno 2 years ago (after living in Major League cities our whole lives) we've become Fresno Grizzlie fans, the triple A San Fransisco Giants affiliate. I have fallen in LOVE with minor league ball! It's ten times more fun and so great to see younger guys with so much potential, or really great older guys who have been sent down for various reasons.

Amazing game last Friday against the visiting Tucson Sidewinders: the Grizzlies came from behind with four runs in the 9th to win their home opener. WOOHOOO!
deafcat

Postby dilli » Fri May 02, 2008 10:03 am

May 2nd, 2008
Dilliville.

Sigh. Major blizzard in progress. Two days ago, temps in 70's - 80's. Hoping power stays on and tree branches don't break. It started snowing here at 6 am. At noon, 9" have fallen so far. Going to be a long day, but the good news is the snow is starting to lighten up a little. :shock:

News link to photos sent in by Black Hills residents
http://www.keloland.com/photogallery/Ph ... egoryId=10

A few semi-current snowfall totals so far

0830 AM HEAVY SNOW NE HOT SPRINGS 43.43N 103.48W
05/02/2008 6.0 INCH FALL RIVER SD TRAINED SPOTTER

0915 AM HEAVY SNOW 9 WNW SPEARFISH 44.55N 104.03W
05/02/2008 E30.0 INCH LAWRENCE SD PUBLIC

1115 AM HEAVY SNOW 2 NE DEADWOOD 44.40N 103.70W
05/02/2008 M29.9 INCH LAWRENCE SD NWS EMPLOYEE

1115 AM HEAVY SNOW W RAPID CITY 44.08N 103.23W
05/02/2008 M12.0 INCH PENNINGTON SD NWS EMPLOYEE
We've got treats