Is it SPRING?? Or just April Fools Day?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Is it SPRING?? Or just April Fools Day?

Postby Breeze » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:56 am

I vote for SPRING~

I just brushed a grocery sack full of PROJECTILE SHEDDING HAIR out my short-coated dog.

I saw a verified temperature of 52 F today

Water is running in every ditch, brook and stream.

I have glorious MUD in my driveway ( and in my kitchen, my living room, and throughout the rest of the house, too)

I expect a significant snowfall Thursday night into Friday.

In Maine, this is SPRING!!!!!!

Breeze
Breeze

Re: Is it SPRING?? Or just April Fools Day?

Postby NC2AK » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:29 pm

Breeze- My vote is for Spring too!
Here in NC the sun is shining and we have cherry trees in bloom along with forsythia and early Spring flowers. We are blessed with rain ( our areas has been sufferng from severe drought) and with 12 paws it is a challenge to keep up with the mud tracks.....but we would not have it any other way. The 4 legged furry kids are loving the hits of Spring.
NC2AK

Postby JerseyGirl » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:51 pm

Come on Spring!!
Here in Northern New Jersey, the temperature is 67 degrees at the moment, and it is a gray day, trying to brighten up every once in a while. The last of our snow melted a few weeks ago. In my gardens and lawn, the snowdrops and cilla (little blue flowers) have been blooming, the crocus are open, and if the deer don't find them, I should have wonderful tulips and hyacinths open in a week or two. But there is alot of yard cleanup to do, as soon as I get some time. It is my strategy to let the leaves stay around the tulips to try to discourage the deer. (Last year's strategy of putting in lots of garden stakes among the tulips didn't work too well, so then I planted more tulips, thinking they can't eat them all.) Not warm enough to put in tender plants, but some of my other perennials are beginning to poke through the ground. This hobby is much more fun than completing reports at my computer, but as they say, that is also part of my spring routine. Happy Spring to everyone from the Garden State. Best regards,
JerseyGirl
JerseyGirl

Location: New Jersey in my heart, Tennessee with our grandchildren

Postby Breeze » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:39 pm

Jerseygirl,

I have had years when my spring bulbs were over and done by now. Not this year, I will wait and wait some more. Memorial Day may be < busting out all over> !!!!!

Breeze
Breeze

Postby JerseyGirl » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Hi Breeze,
Yes, here also. Maybe it was because we had the early Easter date this year that it just seems as though things are slow to bloom. But when they do, they are worth waiting for!!

You take care. Thanks for the post.
JerseyGirl
JerseyGirl

Location: New Jersey in my heart, Tennessee with our grandchildren

Postby Moose » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:23 pm

Breeze, you descript it to a T, but you seem so much more upbeat about it than I feel. I drove home in a snow-eating fog this evening, but it's not eating that snow fast enough to suit me. Melt is running right down the driveway and is collecting in a nice pool at the front steps that family and friends refer to as Lake Griffin! We're thinking of having it stocked! My eyes are weary of white, and there's not a sign of green to be seen anywhere.

The good news is that the roads are starting to settle a bit and I've somehow avoided the major car repair bills those heaved/buckled/dipped/broken roads cost me every year. Well, hey. I guess that's something to celebrate, isn't it. :D

NC and Jersey Girl, post some pics of those beautiful blooms for my color-deprived eyes to gaze upon.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby MotorWerk » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:39 pm

Spring. The ice has gone from the river and the flowers are popping out. The parka has been put away, and I rode my bike to work for the first time this year today.

Life is sweet, even without mushing.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby aren » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:58 pm

Don't forget long days with beautifull sun over a mountain landscape covered by the white stuff and this white stuff is having a nice crust from a cold night. Then when the sun start to warm the top of the crust, it's getting a bit soft and just right for a long x-country skiing tour with the dogs. That is what spring is all about :D :D :D :D
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Breeze » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:21 pm

MOOSE!

I am wearing my best hopeful smile and negociating with the other half to make a road trip to Manchester tomorrow to Longfellow's Greenhouses. As bad as our local potholes seem, we may as well see how more of the state fares.

I need to see flowers and green, and if Dear Husband counters with Skillings in Falmouth we will have a deal.

got it. Skillings Greenhouses and Royal River Grill for lunch. Plants and boats in one trip.

:D :D :D it is spring.

WE have to love "snow eating fog" this year, that IS our safest hope. Let this snow go slowly under the sun, "hot rain" could be disastrous.

Breeze
Breeze

Postby flowerpower » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:17 pm

The bass are biting, the bluebonnets are blooming, it must be SPRING! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Next

Return to Mushing Talk