Is it SPRING?? Or just April Fools Day?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Is it SPRING?? Or just April Fools Day?

Postby deafcat » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:19 pm

Gosh Breeze, can I have some of that extra water? We're so far below the average rainfall this year. I don't mind letting the grass (mostly weeds anyway) die, but I was hoping to put in more vegetables. I'm limited to using sprinklers three mornings a week before sunrise for 15 minutes already, and the hot weather isn't here yet... on the other hand, the wildflowers are amazing this year, so I won't complain too much!
deafcat

Postby Breeze » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:04 pm

Moose wrote:Breeze, I didn't know the towns could do that, pressure-steam culverts. We clean ours out ourselves, and it's dirty, back-breaking work. I think I'll make inquiry of the Sebago town hall tomorrow. Is Bethel selling composters this year? A lot of the towns have in the last five or six years, but not (sigh) Sebago.

Moose, it is a Deal Breaker process, and why is that not a surprise? :D :D :D :D

In our case, the house was here ( in 1810 ) long before there was a public roadway. When the Town of Bethel built, improved, and accepted the roadway as a Town Road, it became a Town Responsibility to maintain THEIR property , keep us safe from damage or harm, and respond to save themselves when we are threatened.

Its a funky relationship but it works.

I've got a compost pile that feeds beaucoups Blackberries, and SO not compliments of the Town of Bethel. You are invited to PYO.

Breeze
Breeze

Postby emwcee » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:43 pm

Finally, a nice spring day in Nebraska. My daughter and I just cleaned up the flower beds a bit and planted blueberries and blackberries (though I don't know how they'll do, since I don't have much of a green thumb). Good news: THE SCREECH OWLS ARE BACK! We have a pair that nests every year in a hole in our Tree-of-Heaven (alainthus) in our backyard. It's so much fun to watch them.
emwcee

Postby MotorWerk » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:56 pm

If they (the blueberrys) are anything like our bilberries then not too much sun and pretty moist.

Owls are fantastic birds (and excellent rodent killers).
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:02 am

spring? well you lot will laugh, we re back from holidays...woke up this morning....to......

6 inches of snow everywhere!!!!!! looks mroe like winter..so what did we do? we donned wetsuits and went to a friends waterskiing party...in the snow! the lake water did seem warm after the air temp being so cold, had a good time wakeboarding, ems even got in and had a lesson! running the dogs tonight...snows kinda haning about in patches.

tangles x
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Heidi » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:19 pm

It looks like this thread has become a catch-all for everything non-mushing related.

I want to remind all of you DEADLIEST CATCH fans that season 4 starts April 15th! It's on every Tuesday at 9 ET/PT.

Season 4 Crew Bios: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/bios/bios.html

Season 4 Production Blog: http://blogs.discovery.com/deadliest_catch/

Get caught up on past seasons here: http://dsc.discovery.com/video/?playerId=203711706&categoryId=210013710&lineupId=1460754317

Message Board: http://community.discovery.com/1/OpenTopic?a=cfrm&cdra=Y&s=6941912904&f=701101106

Fan Chat Room: http://www.deadliest-catch-wiki.discovery.com/page/Fan+Chat
Heidi

Postby StarDancer » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Go Sig & Edgar and The Northwestern!! :D :D
Although I'm not happy about Sig's off-season mess with the Russian crabbers.... :cry:
StarDancer

Postby Di* » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:04 pm

Thanks Heidi, That is my favorite show to watch when I'm near cableTV! So even if I can't watch it, now I can go read about it! What "off season mess with Russian crabbers"? Do tell Star!

By the way, April has been one BIG joke in my neck of the woods....
Sunny and almost balmy for one possibly two days(40degree temps) and then....

WHAM! :shock: :o Instant winter, think deep snow(2feet)snowmen, cars in ditch, school cancelled on Monday...Snowed in not going anywhere for two days then.....

:) Nice, warm, sunny, snow melting, is that you spring? :) Roads dry again, no trouble driving anywhere...

Then AGAIN today, high winds, snow and more snow :shock: Just got home from one of the worst white knuckle drives I've ever done! Uggggggg :evil: :roll: ! And that was just the weather since Sat.! :roll: I have about three different seasons of coats, hats, boots etc. competing for a place in my closet!

Sorry just had to get that out of my system now I feel slightly better! :) :lol: Am thankful it is just snow and not flooding or tornadoes :| Now that would be nasty!
Di*

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:19 am

same here di, snow one day, then sunny the next then snow again then rain ... its staying cold though hope it stays cold for sunday to run the dogs....you sure your not living down the road? with your weather its sounds kinda familiar! hee hee
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Di* » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:50 am

tanglefoot wrote:...you sure your not living down the road? with your weather its sounds kinda familiar! hee hee

Hey why don't you sled on over with the dogs Tangles, perfect weather for a sledride! :D
Di*

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk