Kjetil Backen summons up the I'rod '08

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Kjetil Backen summons up the I'rod '08

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:53 pm

This from hurdal.com: written by Alphashe, translated by SuldalsXpressen

Kjetil - after the Iditarod.

A couple of long spring days have passed since Kjetil Backen, his handler Yngve Fagerli, and the 17 dogs landed on Norwegian soil after this year's Iditarod. Kjetil has now calmed down and is looking forward to a sabbathical from mushing long distance races, and is fairly relaxed when the web editor askes for his thoughts on this year's race.

Kjetil says Irod'08 was a kind race weatherwise. A typical Norwegian winter more or less. As for the team Kjetil says this year's team as a whole is the best he has ever raced to Nome with. They are young, with lots of speed and guts, but lacked the neccessary experienced leaders.

Kjetil says he got into Cripple with 15 degrees centigrade (in the sun), a touch of diarreah, and leaders without enough routine to keep up the pace neccessary to win.

He then understood that he couldn't push the young team, but had to use his head. There and then he changed his goal for the race.

From a top 3, and hopefully top, position, he realized that his leaders just did not have the experience to step up and take charge. Kjetil chose to slow down to a comfortable speed that gave the dogs the best possible experience of the race.
Whilst driving behind Seavey, Gebhardt and Gatt, he constantly had to use the brakes, but if he passed them the leaders immediately lost motivation and slowed down.

The team was under the long trip to Nome very high up there, they howled and barked to push on on every checkpoint. Kjetil has never previously been in Koyuk with a team that yells and barks to get going.

The leaders Lady, Maj, Marius and Maya were eager during the whole race. They just lacked the routine of keeping full pace when alone on the track.

The web editor asks Kjetil on how he looks at the fact that competitors have copied Team Norways way of mushing, training methods and aproches to long distance mushing. Kjetil answers that it is no secret that Jeff King since 2005 have idmitted to working on much the same as Team Norway does, like having a calm team before starting - hence saving energy. In 2006 it was said that King also had copied Team Norways schedule from 2005. Unconfirmed rumours also says that several of the big kennels have reduced number of dogs and are going for quality before quantity - something Team Norway have been succesfull in doing.

As previously written on hurdal.com Lance Mackey have also succeeded in copying Team Norways training methods and way of mushing the Iditarod. Lance confirmed this during this years banquet.

Kjetil says that he feels that he has been greeted with open arms going up trail to Nome. He finds that the people working on the checkpoints show nothing but positive interest in Team Norway in the Iditarod.

Kjetil thinks Bjørnar Andersen, who is Team Norways musher in I'rod '09, will have a bigger opportunity at a being number one than he himself had this year. The young leaders now have a solid and positiv experience with finishing the 1000mile race with a good dose of reserved power. None of Kjetils main leaders this year had finished the race before.

As a final quiestion the web editor asks what many wants to know: Are you coming back to Anchorage with the attent to win?? Kjetil Backen answers: Never say never!

And... as Kjetil says: Mitch Seavey had one prediction for Kjetil after finishing: You're going to do this again!!

We're keeping our fingers crossed!
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Re: Kjetil Backen summons up the I'rod '08

Postby Moose » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:24 pm

Thanks, Eskil. Great report. It explains a lot. I just couldn't wrap my brain around the reports that Kjetil was riding the brake so long, not giving the reins to his dogs. Still can't help but wonder if it worked for him or against him to hold them in, but at least now I understand his thought process.

And the article points out what we've known for so long: that the Norwegian teams have had a tremendous impact on not just this race, but the keeping and running of dogs in a much broader sense.

Thank you, Team Hurdal. Thank you, our Norwegian friends. 8-)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:32 pm

thanks eskil, great reporting! kjetil has shown he is part of a TEAM in the best sense as he realised he couldnt win this year so decided to playt safe and teach the dogs ready for the next team norway musher to have a go at winning next year, what a great guy! the team norway guys and gals are fantastic team players and hence always get the results! well done kjetil...and im guessing..you will be back!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Heidi » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:58 pm

Thanks for the report Alphashe and thanks for the translation Eskil. :D That definitely explains a lot. I really enjoyed reading that and I hope we hear more from Team Norway. They've made what was already a great race even better. :)
Heidi

Postby fladogfan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:48 pm

I've got to agree with what's already been posteed. Kjetil did the smart thing to give the dogs a good experience and finish them happy. Guess it was a training run for Irod09. Thanks to you also Eskil and all the Norwegians for helping us one language people understand ((((((((((((((hugs to you all))))))))))))))))))))
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby aren » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:55 pm

Thanks Eskil. Good to get the rumours confirmed and all the bits and pieces of info put into the right context. It is a big relief to to get it confirmed that it was Kjetil who slowed down the team and not the other way around ;) :)
Probabely a wise decision that will pay of in the years to come. Can't wait for the next Irod to start....... only 327 days to go :D
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:28 am

hahah aren..your counting down already! hee hee
tanglefoot

Postby mithious » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:55 am

aren's not the only one counting down :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

As everyone said, Huge thank yous to all who have helped with translating and such.....I sooooo enjoy Team Norway in ALL aspects and our Norwegian friends :D :D :D :D :D

GoTeamNorwayGo :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I also LOVE the fact that other teams are emulating Team Norway........sly grin.....hmmmmm....I do remember saying something to the affect, way back when they first started racing the Iditarod, that smaller kennels, different racing, breeding, and training styles, were to their benefit, for winning or placing top ten..... ;) :lol: :D :D :D :D :D Funny how that has worked :D :D :D :D

Thanks Eskil for the translation.....I really enjoyed that :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:11 am

spot on mithy! will get my lot trained up and we'll win with our 6 dog team next year or two hahaha.
tanglefoot

Return to Mushing Talk