Very OT: NHL playoffs

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Very OT: NHL playoffs

Postby MotorWerk » Sun May 25, 2008 1:46 am

Those Swedes...

It isn't funny being hammered, I hope the players realise that and fight better in game two.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Stanley Cup Final Game 2

Postby Coaster » Mon May 26, 2008 4:01 pm

Pre-game: The Penguins have changed all four lines in response to shutout in Game 1 and activated Gary Roberts. On the Red Wings side, Johan Franzen has been cleared to play again after sitting out for most of the Western Conference Final and Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final due to concussion-like symptoms.

First Intermission: The Red Wings scored two goals in the first period to take a 2-0 lead. Brad Stuart scored the Red Wings first goal at 6:55 with a assist by Valtteri Filppula. The Red Wings second goal was scored by Tomas Holmstrom at 11:18 and was assisted by Henrik Zetterberg. The shots on goal count was 12-6 in favor of the Red Wings. Most telling was that Detroit had 2 goals and 8 shots on goal before Pittsburgh had one shot on goal. All six of Pittsburgh's shots on goal came on the Power Play.

Second Intermission: No goals were scored in the second period so the Red Wings still lead 2-0. Shots on goal for the second period were 11-6 in favor of the Red Wings and 23-12 for the game. Pittsburgh started to show some life about 15:00 minutes into the second period and had a really good scoring chance.

Post-game: The Red Wings take Game 2 with 3-0 shutout! The Red Wings are the fourth team in Stanley Cup history to have consecutive shutouts. Valtteri Filppula scored the Red Wings third goal at 8:48 and was assisted by Johan Franzen and Brad Stuart. Shots on goal for the third period were 11-10 in favor of the Red Wings and 34-22 for the game.

I am really surprised that the Penguins have not been able to score in two games. If this keeps up, the series could end in a sweep. The Red Wings are in good shape since they only need to win one of the two games in Pittsburgh.
Coaster

Postby MotorWerk » Tue May 27, 2008 2:19 am

Horrible. Penguins need to win both games in Pittsburgh or this is over.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Stanley Cup Final Game 3

Postby Coaster » Wed May 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Pre-game: This game is a must-win for the Penguins. If they do not, the Red Wings will have a strangle-hold on the series. Darryl Sydor, whom has not played in the playoffs, is in Penguin's lineup for tonight's game.

First Period: Sidney Crosby scored the Penguin's first goal of the game and the series at 17:45. The shots of shots on goal were 9-6 in favor of Detroit.

Second Period: Crosby gets his second goal of the game at 2:34 give Pittsburgh a 2-0 lead. Johan Franzen scores his 13th goal of the playoffs to pull make the score 2-1 in favor of the Penguins. Shots on goal for the period were 13-9 in favor of the Pittsburgh and 19-18.

Third Period: What an exciting period to watch! There was a lot of uninterrupted hockey and it was awesome! Pittsburgh won the game 3-2. Adam Hall had the Penguin's third goal at 7:18. Mikael Samuelsson scored Detroit's second goal at 13:37. Shots on goal were 16-5 for the period in favor of Detroit and 34-24 for the game.

Even though that game was a loss for my team, it was an exciting to watch and not a boring shutout. I was really hoping Detroit would get another goal to force overtime which would have been great!
Coaster

Postby MotorWerk » Thu May 29, 2008 12:32 am

I'm relieved. For a while I didn't think Pens would score on Osgood at all. It was an exciting game, I nearly chewed my fingernails up to my elbows. The muffins I prepared pre-game remained uneaten though...

Nice to see the Pittsburgh lads skating faster, tackling harder and forechecking more intensly than in the previous two games.

Now if only we can beat Detroit again on Saturday this could be an intense series after all, but those veterans from motor city are good. Very good. Crosby needs to lead on as he did this game.

And the crowd inside Mellon! Fantastic!
-exit body, exit mind-

MotorWerk

Stanley Cup Final Game 4

Postby Coaster » Sat May 31, 2008 7:50 pm

The Red Wings won a close game by a score of 2-1 over the Penguins. The Red Wings and Penguins each scored a goal in the first period. Neither team scored a goal in the second which setup a very important third period. The Wings scored a goal earlier in the third period to take a 2-1 lead. The Penguins had a great chance to tie the game in a 5 on 3 situation but failed to capitalize

The Red Wings are heading home with a 3-1 lead in the series and are poised to win their 11th Stanley Cup in franchise history and the 4th in the last 11 years.
Coaster

Postby MotorWerk » Sat May 31, 2008 8:13 pm

So long and thanks for all the fish.
-exit body, exit mind-

MotorWerk

Postby Coaster » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:49 pm

What a game! The Penguins win the the game 4-3 in triple overtime.
Coaster

Postby MotorWerk » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:23 am

What a game indeed. Detroit 34 seconds from winning the Cup, but Fleury was fantastic in goal. During the overtime(s) I was so nervous I was pacing back and forth. Probably one of the most exciting games I've ever watched. Game 6 is in Pittsburgh Wednesday.

Regardless of which team wins the cup this series will go into the history books as one of the more intense battles ever.
-exit body, exit mind-

MotorWerk

Postby MotorWerk » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:11 am

Well, Coaster, ready for tonight's battle in Pittsburgh? I hope the series will be tied, but them Red Wings are awfully good... Fleury must be at his best yet again to stop the Swedish hordes.
-exit body, exit mind-

MotorWerk

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk