Sigrid Ekran and others -Ellesmere Island Expedition

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Sigrid Ekran and others -Ellesmere Island Expedition

Postby dilli » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:38 am

BSSD Iditabuddies, students, teachers and sled dog fans ..

I posted about this expedition several times which is headed by Will Seger .. Sigrid is a participating member of the team, so is Sir Richard Branson's son, Sam.

The expeditions is now in progress.

Here is the link to the website which has audio, video and daily reports about the expedition's progress , including some from Sigrid in Norwegian! :D

Any beloved Norskis want to translate Sigrid's reports? 8-) :lol: 8-)

Enjoy !!!!!!!!

http://www.globalwarming101.com/
We've got treats
dilli

Re: Sigrid Ekran and others -Ellesmere Island Expedition

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:28 pm

wow dilli, i forgot about this, thanks for reminding us, just spent 3 hours watching the video audios and reading the reports, its amazing stuff and sam branson a brit is out there with the others, fantastic to have him as 'dad' has been on previous expeds with will steger and as a captin of industry world wide that guy can effect everyone with his work towards reducing global warming...

fantastic, everyone should take time to visit this site!!!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby aren » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:52 am

Thanks for reminding us dilli, like tangles I had sort of forgot about the whole thing.
This looks like a fantastic expedition which really deserves all the publicity it can get. I have watched some of the videos, but are unable to open some of them :( .

I have have tried to translate two of Sigrids reports. The polar bear report in norwegian is the same as the polar bear in camp 2 report in english.

Day 13: We are finally here, camped at Norwegian bay. We have had a good day, travelling at good speed. Everyone is in good spirit. We are not as far as we had hoped to be, but hopefully we will be able to catch up later on. I also hope we have gone through the worst of the rough ice by now.
I still have trouble with frost bite on my face and have to cover the face completely during the day. We do have lots of food and will receive fresh supplies in 7 days.
I keep on breaking one of my ski bindings and have to repair it every night.
The terrain here is unik and the most amazing I have ever seen. Right now it is time for a cup of tea and a good nights sleep. Nighty night, Sigrid

Day 16: Time fly out here on the ice. We have been travelling for more than 2 weeks and start getting in to a good daily routine. Pack away camp, dogs into harness, get going, set camp, melt snow, eat, sleep...... We woke up at 6 this morning with a big smile. The sun is shining from a clear blue sky. Yesterday we had a complete white out. It was impossible to seperate the ice from the sky, we don't want another day like that.
Tobias and I are short of leaders in our dogteam and have tried most of our 10 dogs in lead position. The last one we tried was little Skidich. A small bitch that no one was able to catch in Iqaluit. She had been loose for several weeks when I arrived. The day before we flew to Resolute we got help trying to catch her. It was lucky for Tobias and I that we actually managed to do so. Terrified of people, dogs and everything else, there were no one who believed for a minute that this little fraydicat would ever be a leader. Right now she is outside my tent, proud and happy to the best leader in our dogteam. She actually just loves to to be cuddled now. My little favourit dog, Skidich
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:49 pm

thanks aren,,,ahhhh cute little skidich ^..^ wonder if sigrid will buy her to take back to alaska hahaha new leader for her :D :D :D team
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Di* » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:39 pm

tanglefoot wrote: wonder if sigrid will buy her to take back to alaska hahaha new leader for her :D :D :D team

Think I read her Visa expires in Sept so suppose she will be headed back to Norway after the expedition? Anyone know of her plans after the expedition is over?
Di*

Postby fladogfan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks for the translations aren.
Little Skidich seems like one lucky dog. A job to do and a person to love her. Hooray for you Sigrid :D :D
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby aren » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:36 pm

Di* wrote:[Think I read her Visa expires in Sept so suppose she will be headed back to Norway after the expedition? Anyone know of her plans after the expedition is over?

I have read the very same thing Di, but has not been able to get it confirmed. Let's try to find out.
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby MotorWerk » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:57 am

I have no idea what she'll be doing next. Maybe continue her education in Norway? Or perhaps she will start a career as a pro expedition leader...

I'm hoping she might be persuaded to take some time traveling around the country to give talks on her experiences in Alaska.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby mira » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:51 pm

In the article about Sigrid in Trønder-Avisa (look in the Ekran-topic in follow that musher) it doesn't look like she knows either :)

But the article say that she is moving back to Norway and will take the dogs with her. It also says that she won't stop mushing (no surprises there :) she mentioned finnmarksløpet), so she won't move to any big city. She did finish her master degree in Fairbanks..

I think it is anyone's guess :)
It wouldn't be surprising if it would be something to do with nature, animals, climate++ (or maybe even teach on a 'folkehøyskole'.. I've no idea what a correct translation of that would be, it's a special kind of 'school' with typical thematic one year courses like mushing, different sport, all kind of things really)

Anyhow, she is kind of busy now so I guess we won't have any answers for some time.
mira

Postby Di* » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:38 pm

Thanks for digging that up Mira, that must have been where I read about her going back to Norway.
I'm sure we haven't seen the last of her in the mushing world! Would be interesting to hear what she thought about her Iditarod run this year, haven't heard much about that either, unless I missed it being posted somewhere else! (entirely possible! :) )
Di*

Next

Return to Mushing Talk