Our fury friends

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Our fury friends

Postby aren » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:27 am

Hey, in many of the threads on the forum we see a pic or two of someons fury friends and family members. I really enjoy seeing all those pics and think it would be a great idea to have a thread where we could post pics and stories of our past and present fury friends.

My wife and I have owned and bred flatcoated retrievers for some 25 years and is presently the proud owner of 4 of these black furbabies. The breed is often described as the Peter Pans of the dog world due to their happy and playfull nature. They are as you probably know gun dogs, used at shoots for retrieving shot game. Besides that they are fantastic family dogs, most probably due to their many good qualities resulting from the developing of a good retrieving gun dog. Namely a calm, joyfull, happy, easily trainable dog with the most fantastic abilty of being eager to please its owner/handler.

Here are a couple of pics, If you like'em I can post more later.

Our Fuzzy, a homebred bitch that most unfortunately died last year at age 9.

This is a typical flatcoat, having a peacefull nap on the wifes lap

This is a pic of our youngest, her name is Juba and is also homebred

aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Re: Our fury friends

Postby MotorWerk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:34 am

I just love flatcoated retrievers, my family has always had one. Probably the happiest breed around. Playful, good with children, excellent hunting partners.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby aren » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:43 am

Good morning... eeeeh..actually afternoon, Motor.
How's life in Sarsbår today??

You have a flatt????? Where from???? Name???? Photo????
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby MotorWerk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:17 am

It is sunny in Særp today. I'm working from home today, it's a bit annoying seeing the sun sparkle in the river outside - but work before pleasure.

Our first flat was a cheerful chap named Sambo, we got him from a breeder in Drammen. The others we've had were his decendants. There are no flats in the family today - my parents aren't as active as they were before so they now have a Tibetan Terrier for companionship. And I work too much to be able to care for a dog. Hopefully that will change in a few years coz I really want a flat again.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:57 am

haha ems has two tibetans, joejoe and harvey, theare the kennel guard dogs...will get her to post some photos..
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Moose » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:27 pm

Beautiful dogs, Aren. Love the look on Juba's face, but can't quite tell if she's puzzled, inquisitive, or bored! And is she playing with a white rat? :o Very cute. How many dogs in the household now?

I hope others will post pics of their furry friends, too.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Sady » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:56 pm

Beautiful dogs, Aren! Just beautiful!
Sady

Postby aren » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:48 am

Glad you liked the photos, but it would be fun if someone else would post a photo or two as well.

Moose wrote:Beautiful dogs, Aren. Love the look on Juba's face, but can't quite tell if she's puzzled, inquisitive, or bored! And is she playing with a white rat? :o Very cute. How many dogs in the household now?

I hope others will post pics of their furry friends, too.

At the moment we only have 2 dogs at home. Both are bitches. The other two (a dog and a bitch) stay with friends of ours.

I think Juba was a bit tired when I took that pic. She often used "ragdolls", like the one between her feet, when she tried to persuade the older dogs to play with her. And ofcourse she often succeded as her mother in particular was very playfull herself.

As I write this I have both dogs curled up at my feet, niiiice!
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Moose » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:36 pm

A ragdoll? It sure looks like a white rat. :D

TSFR was the "lucky recipient" of photos of our pack recently. ;) Lucky him. They were probably hours in downloading. At least it took me hours to figure out the new photo program, but I'll take a deep breath and go back to it to try to post pics of the Free Range Chicks and the handsome Mendoza here.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:36 am

heres a few pix from the season, see we do get snow!

DSC00004.jpeg

the santa run at christmas, this is all fake snow ina bus station in the uk! the sleds mine.

DSC00323.JPG

dogs on their new boxes
DSC00310.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Next

Return to Mushing Talk