Sandfest, far from AK

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Sandfest, far from AK

Postby flowerpower » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:05 pm

We just got back from a trip to the Texas coast, it was very windy the first day with gusts to 40 mph or so. The surf was pounding and rolling all different directions! We didn't take the pups, they had to stay behind, since it is hard to find a place that allows 3 large hound dogs. :lol:
Heidi mentioned Sandfest on the Alaska trip topic and Wow! :o I was so impressed with some of the artists, I thought I would try posting a few pictures. This is on the beach in Port Aransas, a small resort town on the Texas coast. The sculptors come from all over the country, including one from Italy, and the sculptures are made completely out of sand!
And yes, I know this has absolutely nothing to do with dogs, Alaska, snow or mushing, but some of us must take our recreation where we can, while dreaming of cooler climates!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Re: Sandfest, far from AK

Postby flowerpower » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:08 pm

And a couple more. The wind surfer picture I just liked! Moderators, feel free to resize if needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Di* » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:06 am

Great Pictures Flower! I would love to try sculpting some of those, looks like so much fun! What better place could you have for your "work" environment than the beach :D !

It is great seeing what everyone is up to now that the racing season is past! So don't worry about being "off-topic" this is what makes it fun to keep tuning in here during the off season! :D
Di*

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:20 am

how do they get the sand to stick together and hold up?
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Jan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:43 am

Those are awesome flowerpower -- thanks for sharing!
Jan

Postby Moose » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:33 pm

How long do they last? 8-)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby flowerpower » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:13 pm

I don't really know much about it, except it was fasinating to watch the progress. Most seem to use big forms-wooden boxes-that they packed the sand into. They would wet it down, stomp it, beat it with shovels, and add more sand. They did seem to be using some sort of "fixative" in a spray bottle, plus water, to help hold it together. There was a huge one that was done by alot of local artists together as a promotion, and it held up pretty well through the wind and a slight burst of rain. The masters spent two and a half days working on theirs-we left Saturday so the pics are works in progess-they had until noon Sunday to finish. I am guessing they don't hold up too long-one was partially crumbled before they even finished! :(
More pictures at the website: http://www.texassandfest.com/
flowerpower

Postby Di* » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:49 am

Saw a show on this once and yea, they use a big form(a barrel or whatever) to wet the sand and make a firm mound, then they sculpt "into" it and use spray bottles of water to keep it wet/firm while working etc.
I'm sure the conditions(wind, heat etc.) contribute to the time the thing will last....really cool. I'd love to sit and watch a piece from start to finish. Such amazing artists, what a shame the pieces don't last longer!!
Di*

Postby MotorWerk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:57 am

Impressive stuff. I've never been sandsculpting. Did try in ice (with a chainsaw) once, but I've got as much talent as a dead ant.

If the wind doesn't break the sculptures up I'm pretty sure the tide will take care of it. Unless someones been cheating and added cement to the sand.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby Heidi » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:29 pm

Great pictures FP! Thanks for sharing them with us. :) :)
Heidi

Return to Mushing Talk